Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Servo Is Now Rendering Phoronix, Except For One Big Bug

Phoronix: Mozilla's Servo Is Now Rendering Phoronix, Except For One Big Bug

After this morning's article about Mozilla's Servo Engine Now Capable Of Rendering GitHub Near Flawlessly, a Mozilla Research developer shared that this next-generation, Rust-written layout engine is also capable of rendering Phoronix.com...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course, the bigger issue is that the web advertisements aren't correctly rendered with Servo!
    Sounds like a feature.

Comment

I'm sure they'll get there. The engine doesn't yet handle rendering/layout correctly. It's no surprise that there may be problems with cross-domain requests or other issues in the rendering engine.

Comment

Is there a feature for paying members to filter out the reminderblurp, or indeed people who specifically enable ads on phoronix?...

Comment

Kind of curious why these Ads aren't shown in Servo?
          Because they're Flash one?

If so, would you consider disable Flash based ones?
          Especially the days of Flash goes down quick with its security reputation.

And as always, I explicitly white list Phoronix.com in uBlock.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post
            I suspect that's it. Even without ad blockers, I don't see any ads on the Phoronix home page - but I do see a lot of "Click here to activate the Adobe Flash plugin" placeholder boxes. Not a very effective form of advertising, if it can't be seen by someone running a stock Firefox installation...

Comment

I'm sure Servo doesn't support Flash, given how many complications that has made for other browsers and how it's dying out. It'd be a waste of effort to add support in an experimental browser.

Comment

It should fallback to non-flash ads in that case.... Hmmm, any other ad/JS plug-ins you use?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I'm sure Servo doesn't support Flash, given how many complications that has made for other browsers and how it's dying out. It'd be a waste of effort to add support in an experimental browser.
                  Interesting I don't see those on my iPad, plenty of useless ads without flash! 😆😆😆😆😆😆. I haven't checked Phornix recently on my Mac but that is running ad blockers.

Comment

Well, to quote Patrick Walton, "Not implementing document.write makes a surprisingly effective and targeted ad blocker."

Comment

Working...
                    X