Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Loses Three More Executives

Phoronix: AMD Loses Three More Executives

It seems the corporate restructuring at AMD isn't yet over with the post-CES announcement yesterday of three more top-level executives leaving the company...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by golem.de
    Offenbar schart die neue Chefin mehr F?hrungskr?fte mit technischem Hintergrund um sich, ?hnlich wie einst Hector Ruiz und Dirk Meyer. So kehrten beispielsweise Apples Prozessorarchitekt Jim Keller, der entscheidend am Erfolg des Athlon XP und Athlon 64 beteiligt war, und der ebenfalls zwischenzeitlich bei Apple angestellte und f?r das Mantle-API verantwortliche Grafikexperte Raja Koduri zu AMD zur?ck.

--- rugh translation: ---

Apparently, the new boss gathers more executives with technical background, as Hector Ruiz and Dirk Meyer did once. Thus, Apple's processor architect Jim Keller, who was vital for the success of Athlon XP and Athlon 64, and the graphic expert Raja Koduri, who used to be employed at Apple and is responsible for the Mantle API, returned to AMD.

http://www.golem.de/news/konzernspit...01-111646.html
    Gathering experts doesn't seem like the worst idea...

Comment

One can hope

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Gathering experts doesn't seem like the worst idea...
      Lets hope that sound business decisions compliment great engineering. As a long time fan of AMD, one who used to buy their cpus exclusivly because of value and performance, but for the past 5 years has puchased only Intel for value and performance, I hope AMD can get their balls back and find a way to compete with Intel again instead of competing with VIA for the embedded and the bottom-shelf Wallmart devices. I think it folly for them to give up on high performance desktop, server, and laptops. One has to reason that there is still a great need for these kind of devices, that there is a lot of pent up demand from current XP, Windows 7, and even Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 is going to be the tide that lifts all boats - its going to be a Tsunami and it would be a pitty for AMD to have their boat dry docked

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
        Lets hope that sound business decisions compliment great engineering. As a long time fan of AMD, one who used to buy their cpus exclusivly because of value and performance, but for the past 5 years has puchased only Intel for value and performance, I hope AMD can get their balls back and find a way to compete with Intel again instead of competing with VIA for the embedded and the bottom-shelf Wallmart devices. I think it folly for them to give up on high performance desktop, server, and laptops. One has to reason that there is still a great need for these kind of devices, that there is a lot of pent up demand from current XP, Windows 7, and even Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 is going to be the tide that lifts all boats - its going to be a Tsunami and it would be a pitty for AMD to have their boat dry docked
        I absolutely agree with you.

In addition I think what AMD needs, (I've said this before) is to gain mindshare. Mindshare is something that Intel gained when they released Core2 and AMD lost and never got back. If AMD released a top end CPU that spanked on Intels top end CPU. People like me and you are going to go to work bringing this understanding with us.

Mindshare. It's what it's all about.

Comment

AMD's coroporate culture catching up with them

AMD is based in my home town, and boy do they have a shitty corporate culture. For example, it's well known that they lay off engineers who achieve seniority just so that they can keep hiring younger candidates as lower salaries. They built their corporate headquarters in an environmentally sensitive area just because a previous CEO (Hector Ruiz) had a bone to pick with local environmentalists. I guess their bad karma is finally catching up to them.

Comment

I think this new CEO is smart. I trust her.

Also, I always had trouble understanding John Byrne's accent, which meant whatever he was trying to sell didn't always get through. Might just be me though.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              I think this new CEO is smart. I trust her.

Also, I always had trouble understanding John Byrne's accent, which meant whatever he was trying to sell didn't always get through. Might just be me though.
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

There's something intrinsically humorous about it... I just can't take it seriously. It's like all those people at the APU/Fusion/HSA conferences I try watching who always pronounce the "H" as "hayche" instead of "ayche", except that that bugs me to no end and his accent just makes me laugh.

Comment

Good that they fire some high-costing CEOs, hopefully that means they get some more money for driver development.

Comment

all 3 look like dead weight to me. It's a good move.

Lisa Su is going to do a hell of a job bringing AMD back starting with the new Linux driver model. Then 300 series GPU's, Then Carizo laptops/netbooks, then Skybridge/Zen.

AMD really needs to hammer home Linux kernel support. So far they have been on the right track. Carizo will be in good shape on launch day. So will Radeon 300 series.

IF ANYONE AT AMD IS READING THIS HAVE THEM TAKE A LOOK AT MSI 7850 POWER EDITION START UP FAN PROFILE. IT KEEPS SPINNING BACKWARDS AT 100% AFTER RESUMING FROM SLEEP. IT HAS ALWAYS DONE THIS AND IT FUCKING SUCKS!!! MAKE THE DRIVER RESET THE FAN PROFILE UPON WAKING FROM HIBERNATION/SLEEP. IT CANT BE THAT HARD!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I absolutely agree with you.

In addition I think what AMD needs, (I've said this before) is to gain mindshare. Mindshare is something that Intel gained when they released Core2 and AMD lost and never got back. If AMD released a top end CPU that spanked on Intels top end CPU. People like me and you are going to go to work bringing this understanding with us.

Mindshare. It's what it's all about.
                    AMD is totally locked out of low nm fabrication so it's not happening.

Comment

Working...
                    X