Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

    Phoronix: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

    A new project has been established that's trying to boycott systemd and the Linux distributions utilizing systemd...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3OTM

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

    A new project has been established that's trying to boycott systemd and the Linux distributions utilizing systemd...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3OTM
    The people who are against systemd never actually produce any better code or implementation of what systemd can provide. All they can do is talk, talk, talk and suck out all the emotional energy out of people who really do all the work.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
      The people who are against systemd never actually produce any better code or implementation of what systemd can provide. All they can do is talk, talk, talk and suck out all the emotional energy out of people who really do all the work.
      It's amazing how much time people can spend on bashing something that they don't like or understand.

      For me it's simple - I don't like german cars, I don't own any and I don't give a shit about them. I don't waste my life on whining on german motorization

      Comment


      • #4
        LOL, it's funny to watch the progression from calm, semi-rational points at the beginning to pure emotional ranting at the end. As always, a number of points are misleading, and one is outright false (#5).

        Comment


        • #5
          Re

          Taking by how much evolution systemd is bringing to Linux, this kind of bullsh*t annoys me...

          Comment


          • #6
            It's default in RHEL 7, and will be in Ubuntu 16.04, and, I think Debian 8.
            Regardless of how you feel, systemd has already won.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
              LOL, it's funny to watch the progression from calm, semi-rational points at the beginning to pure emotional ranting at the end. As always, a number of points are misleading, and one is outright false (#5).
              this is popcorn material.

              Comment


              • #8
                Even Linus Likes systemd he just does not like bugs not being fixed and btw systemd is not BSD and BSD is not Linux

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes, FFS, consider switching to Plan 9 because things are really getting out of hand!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Will new users trying out Ubuntu even know what systemd is? NO! What about UNIX philosophy? To new Ubuntu users out there trying Ubuntu for a spin, they know nothing about it. They don't know if Ubuntu follows the UNIX philosophy because once Ubuntu works for them, it just works. Same with elementary OS. There are people out there who don't KNOW what is UNDER THE HOOD of Linux, because if you ask Ubuntu users that never mess with command line what Linux is, you might get a blank stare. As long as installing applications do not break dependency, that's all that matters to them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                      Will new users trying out Ubuntu even know what systemd is? NO! What about UNIX philosophy? To new Ubuntu users out there trying Ubuntu for a spin, they know nothing about it. They don't know if Ubuntu follows the UNIX philosophy because once Ubuntu works for them, it just works. Same with elementary OS. There are people out there who don't KNOW what is UNDER THE HOOD of Linux, because if you ask Ubuntu users that never mess with command line what Linux is, you might get a blank stare. As long as installing applications do not break dependency, that's all that matters to them.
                      And thats the way it should be...
                      Would mean everything is how its supossed to be, not everyone likes to be a "geek" they just want to use the computer to watch theyr kitty videos or play some games.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                        Will new users trying out Ubuntu even know what systemd is? NO! What about UNIX philosophy? To new Ubuntu users out there trying Ubuntu for a spin, they know nothing about it. They don't know if Ubuntu follows the UNIX philosophy because once Ubuntu works for them, it just works. Same with elementary OS. There are people out there who don't KNOW what is UNDER THE HOOD of Linux, because if you ask Ubuntu users that never mess with command line what Linux is, you might get a blank stare. As long as installing applications do not break dependency, that's all that matters to them.
                        I don't mind that. Feel free to use systemd, I really don't mind that either.

                        But I don't want to use systemd, and it need go no farther than that. You need not know or understand my reasons - they may matter to me, but they don't have to do you. When someone comes out and says, "systemd has won" as was posted earlier in this thread, it's not far to imagine some glee in the idea that I too will be forced to run systemd soon.

                        Why do you care! Is your life that boring that you have to try to control my computer, too? Get a life!

                        (The next thing someone else on this thread will do, besides schooling me on how stupid, backward, and retarded I am, will be to tell me to "get a life" and just go ahead and use systemd, already.)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                          Phoronix: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

                          A new project has been established that's trying to boycott systemd and the Linux distributions utilizing systemd...

                          http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3OTM
                          Website that looks from 90's, idiotic arguments, attention whoring, well looks like we're dealing with some trolls here. Ignore them.

                          Besides, theres plenty of distros that don't and won't use systemd in near future, so whats the point of this nonsense. Its called freedom of choice and its a beautiful thing. Let a modern man use modern tools, and the caveman play with his init scrips.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well, if some vocal Linux geeks didn't hate Canonical and CLAs as much as they do, maybe Upstart were still being considered as a viable alternative.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NotAnIdiot
                              Take for instance Slackware, a distro which does not have systemd (uses int scripts) has the same boot time and runs incredibly fast.
                              That's not the primary feature of systemd. It certainly is _one_ feature of systemd.

                              PulseAudio and systemd both waste resources to achieve terrible results.
                              The systemd results are not terrible at all. Getting rid of terrible, bloated, duplicated init scripts is a nice thing. Having a reliable service management is nice too. We can actually track forks etc. correctly now.

                              Not sure about pulse. I have noticed that I have more useful sound settings now that Ubuntu uses pulse. And sound now works all the time, while it failed occasionally before pulse was introduced. I.e. I often had problems with flash audio, that is now fixed. (Not sure if pulse fixed this.)

                              I used the alsa API and the pulse API for exactly the same thing, and I prefer the pulse API. Not sure if it's just a lack of documentation for Alsa. It was easier to figure out how the pulse API works, and it offers better features. Pulse has a feature to query for stream latency, which I didn't use for the alsa code because I didn't stumble upon something like that while scrolling through alsa docs. Maybe it's possible using alsa, but I don't know how.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X