Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digia To Spin Off Qt Business Into Its Own Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Digia To Spin Off Qt Business Into Its Own Company

    Phoronix: Digia To Spin Off Qt Business Into Its Own Company

    Digia has officially announced today they will be spinning off their Qt division into its own company (still wholly-owned by Digia) that will focus exclusively upon Qt development...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1NTk

  • #2
    Poor Qt, nobody wants to keep you in the same place for long. trolltech->nokia->digia->new company in less than 5 years, right?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Poor Qt, nobody wants to keep you in the same place for long. trolltech->nokia->digia->new company in less than 5 years, right?
      The article says the new company will be wholy owned by Digia.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a good move. Qt deserves a company dedicated to it, and a company dedicated to such an important framework could do well. None of those others felt like a good fit.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          The article says the new company will be wholy owned by Digia.
          I can read. And I did read that. BUT, it says it will be a new company owned by Digia. That still means that it got transfered to a new company, which was my point.

          Comment


          • #6
            Qt Needs A Reality Check

            Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            Poor Qt, nobody wants to keep you in the same place for long. trolltech->nokia->digia->new company in less than 5 years, right?
            I am a big fan of Qt, but there is some trueth to what you say. It's just tough being in the low end framework tool business, but Qt is still loved by a lot of developers and companies. Qt's eco system has gotten stronger not weaker, and with Ubuntu selecting Qt as its next generation framework it will only get stronger.

            One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.

            It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.

            Anyway I wish the new Qt company good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
              I am a big fan of Qt, but there is some trueth to what you say. It's just tough being in the low end framework tool business, but Qt is still loved by a lot of developers and companies. Qt's eco system has gotten stronger not weaker, and with Ubuntu selecting Qt as its next generation framework it will only get stronger.

              One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.

              It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.

              Anyway I wish the new Qt company good luck.
              nobody really force you to use JavaScript
              you can still do business logic in C++

              they moved from widgets to QML
              it is just like microsoft moved from WINAPI ->MFC -> WPF

              QML is pretty much like WPF
              except you can write JS(some business logic) in QML (nice extension)
              They also add JS compiler and I don't know if it still support runtime compiler. but you get pretty fast code.

              I like QML as it is really nice way how to design UI.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.
                You've misunderstood. Qt is all about C++, and also QML (the Javascript like part) is usually used together with C++ in all but the more simpler apps. What is meant is that Qt Widgets is stable, capable and does not need big new features by itself. Qt Core, Qt Gui and other core modules are continued to be heavily developed and their new features will be used also by Qt Widgets wielding apps. And of course nothing prevents bringing new features to Qt Widgets either, but maybe currently all desktop app developers are happy with the state of Qt 5, as many are porting to it now.

                Correct me if I'm wrong.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wow, news of an internal restructuring at a company. Could news be more boring?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                    I am a big fan of Qt, but there is some trueth to what you say. It's just tough being in the low end framework tool business, but Qt is still loved by a lot of developers and companies. Qt's eco system has gotten stronger not weaker, and with Ubuntu selecting Qt as its next generation framework it will only get stronger.

                    One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.

                    It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.

                    Anyway I wish the new Qt company good luck.
                    It means they have a technologically superior and easier to use UI toolkit, so for any new functionality they would implement in QML. Since you can embed a Quick frame as a widget in a traditional widgets application, you can still use all that new functionality in a predominantly widgets based program.

                    It doesn't mean abandoning C++. You still cannot do direct file IO in QML at all, for example - you only have localstorage. And TBH, the Qt version of localstorage sucks balls compared to the web one. One area of improvement I'd really like to see is implementing an abstraction layer so that array indexing a localstorage object transparently writes the data to disk just like the web version does.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Timo Jyrinki View Post
                      You've misunderstood. Qt is all about C++, and also QML (the Javascript like part) is usually used together with C++ in all but the more simpler apps. What is meant is that Qt Widgets is stable, capable and does not need big new features by itself. Qt Core, Qt Gui and other core modules are continued to be heavily developed and their new features will be used also by Qt Widgets wielding apps. And of course nothing prevents bringing new features to Qt Widgets either, but maybe currently all desktop app developers are happy with the state of Qt 5, as many are porting to it now.

                      Correct me if I'm wrong.
                      Believe me, I would if you were but alas...
                      Compiled qtcreator against 5.3.1 from git after the 3.2 RC1 announcement, and grabbed EmacsKey.kms -- it isn't in git yet -- from http://vxlabs.com/2014/06/25/getting...creator-3-1-2/. It ain't Emacs (and ain't supposed to be) but at least I'm no longer stumbling over every key binding. Glad to have web services with similar API, IDE, and framework as desktop. Happy camper.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by zanny View Post
                        It doesn't mean abandoning C++. You still cannot do direct file IO in QML at all, for example - you only have localstorage. And TBH, the Qt version of localstorage sucks balls compared to the web one. One area of improvement I'd really like to see is implementing an abstraction layer so that array indexing a localstorage object transparently writes the data to disk just like the web version does.
                        It looks like there is target to convert Qt from toolkit for C++ developers to toolkit for web(Javascript) developers to make Qt more popular.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                          One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.
                          Actually the biggest opportunity for Qt currently is in the embedded market. All those washing machines, cars, coffee makers, medical devices, etc. that need a touchscreen UI.

                          Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                          It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done.
                          That was really poorly communicated. "Done" was supposed to mean "no exciting new features are expected to land in this module".

                          One of the first things Digia did when they took over was to try to communicate this better, pointing out that widgets are fully supported. In general Digia seems to be better at communication than Nokia was:-)

                          Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                          In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea.
                          That is exactly where you want a toolkit that is "Done" in the sense used by Lars. No exciting new features that break stuff, but all the bug-fixes you need!

                          Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                          Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.
                          Seeing that QML is used in medical devices I do not see why somebody hacking a UI for a nuclear power plant would not decide to have UIs in QML at some point.

                          To me QML is basically a UI description file that is more readable than the XML stuff Qt used to have. If you refrain from bogging that down with JS your QML basically gets turn into a data structure that is pushed into the graphics card and rendered there. No JS Engine involved in any of the critical paths whatsoever:-)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                            It looks like there is target to convert Qt from toolkit for C++ developers to toolkit for web(Javascript) developers to make Qt more popular.
                            You are aware that Qt had Javascript for *years* before it was used in QML?

                            Check the QtScript module. In fact the reason why QML allows Javascript is because the engine was already in Qt. The Javascript engine got replaced a couple of times in the meantime, but that is just an implementation detail;-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Karl Napf View Post
                              You are aware that Qt had Javascript for *years* before it was used in QML?
                              There is difference between supporting Javascript and using it as main language with C++ as 2nd class citizen.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X