Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

    Phoronix: Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

    While Spotify was a major Debian user with running their thousands of back-end servers on the major Linux distribution, including being vocal about systemd on Debian, they have decided to switch over to Ubuntu...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0MjI

  • #2
    Whatever, if they want to get bit in the *** by Ubuntu it's their choice, but they could finally put out a repo for other distros than Debian with their client app. It's a PITA to manually convert the debs to rpm with every new version ;-P.

    Comment


    • #3
      Debian based distros could fund the Debian project. Spotify should too.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Whatever, if they want to get bit in the *** by Ubuntu it's their choice, but they could finally put out a repo for other distros than Debian with their client app. It's a PITA to manually convert the debs to rpm with every new version ;-P.
        In that case you might want to check out https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, Debian doesn't clearly communicate how they want to go about LTS releases, so this is easy to understand from Spotify's point of view.

          Comment


          • #6
            That was a dumb move... If you want predictable long-term support, the only thing you should be looking at is Red Hat (or its derivatives, if you don't need support, but I bet Spotify could use some).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kigurai View Post
              In that case you might want to check out https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make
              All converter scripts for Spotify that I tried are useless, cause they have hardcoded version numbers (sic!) + Spotify removes old versions from their repository. Additionally a problem recently came up because Spotify started adding "-1" to their deb version string, which is illegal in rpm, and the scripts fail at that ;-P. Now... even if a particular script works ok, then this still doesn't take care of automatically updating to a new version, without manually running it again. So I'll stick with 'alien -rc' and symlinking libs, this is at least full proof (hell, I could even write my own script that does that :-) ).

              Comment


              • #8
                What?!? A company doing what is best for it's business? How dare they not do what I emotionally feel is the correct answer!1! I, a random person on the internet, know better than THEM about their business model!!! They must be in conspiracy with microsoft and the devil! [/crazyperson]
                Last edited by dh04000; 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  All converter scripts for Spotify that I tried are useless, cause they have hardcoded version numbers (sic!) + Spotify removes old versions from their repository. Additionally a problem recently came up because Spotify started adding "-1" to their deb version string, which is illegal in rpm, and the scripts fail at that ;-P. Now... even if a particular script works ok, then this still doesn't take care of automatically updating to a new version, without manually running it again. So I'll stick with 'alien -rc' and symlinking libs, this is at least full proof (hell, I could even write my own script that does that :-) ).
                  Well, I am terribly sorry that I tried to help you. :P

                  For me, spotify-make has worked really well, except that the authors obviously have to make some changes when spotify releases a new version. Mostly due to library version mismatches, I guess.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    That was a dumb move... If you want predictable long-term support, the only thing you should be looking at is Red Hat (or its derivatives, if you don't need support, but I bet Spotify could use some).
                    Based on?
                    When, ever, have Canonical failed to provide the support they promise?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                      Based on?
                      When, ever, have Canonical failed to provide the support they promise?
                      it's not about breaking promises. it's about quality of delivering. all you need to look is how LTS is approached to.

                      ubuntu is more or less mashup of the regular current version with longer life time. its basically regular version with slapped "LTS" and "5 year warranty" stickers on it. not to mention ubuntu is not really working on most projects at all beside rebranding

                      centos/rhel on the other hand take fedora as base, where work just started with intent of having production and stability value which makes centos/rhel defacto best choice when you need LTS. and rh would be one of biggest contributors working actively in FOSS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What Dumb Fucks CentOS has 7-10 years of support and is way better out of the box for Servers then Ubuntu any day of the week

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          While I am frequently critical of Canonical, I cannot fault Spotify's decision. Given their limited use-case I think Ubuntu Server is a solid choice. The release schedule of Ubuntu has never faulted to my knowledge, and I can see why someone would want that over the whims of whatever the Debian board decide. In business, reduced uncertainty is good, and Ubuntu provides that.

                          It's just a shame about the desktop version of Ubuntu...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            shame why?

                            Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                            While I am frequently critical of Canonical, I cannot fault Spotify's decision. Given their limited use-case I think Ubuntu Server is a solid choice. The release schedule of Ubuntu has never faulted to my knowledge, and I can see why someone would want that over the whims of whatever the Debian board decide. In business, reduced uncertainty is good, and Ubuntu provides that.

                            It's just a shame about the desktop version of Ubuntu...
                            explain why... everything works what the shame?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              With five years of support for 14.04, I assume Spotify won't be in a rush to make the switch to systemd-migration-completed 16.04 (if 16.04 isn't skipped over altogether). I would be curious to know when Spotify's migration was decided upon.
                              Last edited by eidolon; 07-16-2014, 02:54 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X