Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

Phoronix: Spotify Switches From Debian To Ubuntu

While Spotify was a major Debian user with running their thousands of back-end servers on the major Linux distribution, including being vocal about systemd on Debian, they have decided to switch over to Ubuntu...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0MjI

Whatever, if they want to get bit in the *** by Ubuntu it's their choice, but they could finally put out a repo for other distros than Debian with their client app. It's a PITA to manually convert the debs to rpm with every new version ;-P.

Comment

Debian based distros could fund the Debian project. Spotify should too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Whatever, if they want to get bit in the *** by Ubuntu it's their choice, but they could finally put out a repo for other distros than Debian with their client app. It's a PITA to manually convert the debs to rpm with every new version ;-P.
        In that case you might want to check out https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make

Comment

Well, Debian doesn't clearly communicate how they want to go about LTS releases, so this is easy to understand from Spotify's point of view.

Comment

That was a dumb move... If you want predictable long-term support, the only thing you should be looking at is Red Hat (or its derivatives, if you don't need support, but I bet Spotify could use some).

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
              In that case you might want to check out https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make
              All converter scripts for Spotify that I tried are useless, cause they have hardcoded version numbers (sic!) + Spotify removes old versions from their repository. Additionally a problem recently came up because Spotify started adding "-1" to their deb version string, which is illegal in rpm, and the scripts fail at that ;-P. Now... even if a particular script works ok, then this still doesn't take care of automatically updating to a new version, without manually running it again. So I'll stick with 'alien -rc' and symlinking libs, this is at least full proof (hell, I could even write my own script that does that :-) ).

Comment

What?!? A company doing what is best for it's business? How dare they not do what I emotionally feel is the correct answer!1! I, a random person on the internet, know better than THEM about their business model!!! They must be in conspiracy with microsoft and the devil! [/crazyperson]
                Last edited by dh04000; 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  All converter scripts for Spotify that I tried are useless, cause they have hardcoded version numbers (sic!) + Spotify removes old versions from their repository. Additionally a problem recently came up because Spotify started adding "-1" to their deb version string, which is illegal in rpm, and the scripts fail at that ;-P. Now... even if a particular script works ok, then this still doesn't take care of automatically updating to a new version, without manually running it again. So I'll stick with 'alien -rc' and symlinking libs, this is at least full proof (hell, I could even write my own script that does that :-) ).
                  Well, I am terribly sorry that I tried to help you. :P

For me, spotify-make has worked really well, except that the authors obviously have to make some changes when spotify releases a new version. Mostly due to library version mismatches, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    That was a dumb move... If you want predictable long-term support, the only thing you should be looking at is Red Hat (or its derivatives, if you don't need support, but I bet Spotify could use some).
                    Based on?
                    When, ever, have Canonical failed to provide the support they promise?

Comment

Working...
                    X