Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft ASP.NET vNext Is Open-Source, Runs On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft ASP.NET vNext Is Open-Source, Runs On Linux

    Phoronix: Microsoft ASP.NET vNext Is Open-Source, Runs On Linux

    Microsoft announced .NET vNext and ASP.NET vNext at their TechEd North America conference today. ASP.NET vNext is the next-generation version of their server-side Web application framework and it's now cloud-oriented. Microsoft is supporting ASP.NET vNext under Linux via Mono...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4ODI

  • #2
    Love it! C# is a really great language which I use a lot at work, but the lack of proper cross-platform-support (esp. when it comes to development ... have fun getting nuget and mvc4 to run in mono) is always a little off-putting, considering my laptop is an Air (and I don't want to install Windows on it, thank you very much). If we now get a truly open-source cross-platform .net platform that would be epic.

    Comment


    • #3
      And here I, a C# developer and huge fan of Mono, had hoped that ASP(.NET) would finally die. They could've ported WPF to mono instead...or make XWT feature complete. But this? This is something nobody needs and many people will still use because buzzwords.

      Comment


      • #4
        well if C# was a properly compiled language with proper memory management it would be a pretty neat language for linux devs but as is currently implemented i doubt will gain any traction, well i guess for people that already have windows servers would be good to fast port some services to linux or mac though. Although never seen a .NET app for mac/IOS/Android so im not sure ho hot is it outside the windows realm in real world apps

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          well if C# was a properly compiled language with proper memory management it would be a pretty neat language for linux devs but as is currently implemented i doubt will gain any traction, well i guess for people that already have windows servers would be good to fast port some services to linux or mac though. Although never seen a .NET app for mac/IOS/Android so im not sure ho hot is it outside the windows realm in real world apps
          There are actually quite a bunch of mobile applications using Mono. And Monogame is populair under the indie developers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Go and throw that piece of utter ugly software out of the Windows.

            We don't like C#, Mono and any other thing coming from the patent pool of Microsoft. Icaza is just a traitor and could very well shut up and disappear in the dark, alone, without making any noise.

            Mono shouldn't be used for nothing else than writing crap software for Winblows.

            Damn it, false free software is not free software. Open Source != Free (libre) Software.

            It's a Trap, Admiral Obvious Ackbar agrees.
            Last edited by Filiprino; 05-12-2014, 05:06 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
              Go and throw that piece of utter ugly software out of the Windows.

              We don't like C#, Mono and any other thing coming from the patent pool of Microsoft. Icaza is just a traitor and could very well shut up and disappear in the dark, alone, without making any noise.

              Mono shouldn't be used for nothing else than writing crap software for Winblows.

              Damn it, false free software is not free software. Open Source != Free (libre) Software.

              It's a Trap, Admiral Obvious Ackbar agrees.
              So now that it's fully 100% protected by the Apache License that the actual reasoning behind this idiocy fully comes out and is that you nuts just irrationally hate Microsoft and anything coming from it, no matter the license or grants. Meanwhile I'm sure you're all praises and joy for Apple and Sun Microsystems/Oracle...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                So now that it's fully 100% protected by the Apache License that the actual reasoning behind this idiocy fully comes out and is that you nuts just irrationally hate Microsoft and anything coming from it, no matter the license or grants. Meanwhile I'm sure you're all praises and joy for Apple and Sun Microsystems/Oracle...
                Apache License doesn't mean free of patents.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Forking

                  Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
                  Apache License doesn't mean free of patents.
                  But a GPL fork of that Apache code may mean exactly that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LauRoman View Post
                    But a GPL fork of that Apache code may mean exactly that.
                    I don't understand how a patent encumbered technology idea could be free of patents by forking an implementation of it and licensing it under GPL.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X