Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Microsoft just open sourced most of .NET...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
    That's not all he was complaining about.

...Hence... Scala is as broken.
    He was a co founder of TypeSafe and a lead developer on Scala. He rails on a ton of things, like the Scala collections, the complexity of the Map.map function signature, the number of casts in the code, the unpredictability of type inference, the problems of using Scala collections from Java when Java interop was a premier feature of the language, etc...

He never said it was as broken as C#/Java.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
      Here is your quote:
      So the direct quote is "more or less fare equally bad" rather than "they all suck equally". I don't see a substantial difference there.

Here is your direct quote. You said C#/Java are "not even close"
      "not even close" to being "almost the exact same language", then went on to explain a fundamental difference.

Comment

He was a co founder of TypeSafe and a lead developer on Scala. He rails on a ton of things, like the Scala collections, the complexity of the Map.map function signature, the number of casts in the code, the unpredictability of type inference, the problems of using Scala collections from Java when Java interop was a premier feature of the language, etc...

He never said it was as broken as C#/Java.
        I did not say that he said that. I said that.

Comment

Here is your quote:

Here is your direct quote. You said C#/Java are "not even close" and C# is nicer and never accentuate subjectivity or personal opinion:
          which part of this says i'd be saying one is better than another? @.@'

which competition? more or less fare equally bad
          if you check again, "not even close" went against

Regarding C# the language, wasn't C# created as bascially a fork of Microsoft's Java? Isn't C# almost the exact same language as Java, with all of the same major features and flaws?
          they are far from the same language. they do have some similar traits, but they differ in way too many syntax implementations to be proclaimed "exact same". i have absolutely no clue where do you get it from. i know i'm not native english speaker... but... ahh, well... whatever

You aren't interested and that's fine. Luke_Wolf was actually the one who specifically about Scala features in this thread.
          then answer to the right person and stop accusing me from being dick
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 04-07-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            So the direct quote is "more or less fare equally bad" rather than "they all suck equally". I don't see a substantial difference there.

"not even close" to being "almost the exact same language", then went on to explain a fundamental difference.
            sorry on repeating what you said in my previous comment. seeing that answer kinda ticked me off and i didn't notice you ninja'd it.

Comment

going trough more articles and videos, it actually makes more sense if one stops to find that one loophole where MS holds you for the balls. if i only wouldn't be so sceptic about MS doing something good for a change, answer would be obvious much sooner

MS seems to be slowly shifting their business model, which actually makes sense. they were stuck in market where they were holding most of the ground already and any growth was not really possible, while in most other markets they were failing. not to mention competition is expensive.when you compete on os level. whole keynote more or less sounds like, screw os... use our cloud services from any device. and as soon as you look from this perspective, them open sourcing .Net and WinJS is not charity move, but rather sound chess move where you sacrifice pawn or two in order to get closer to win. it is a move they were simply forced to do if they wanted to proceed in that direction. and last thing one would want to do with move like that is something fishy. if they wouldn't do that, cloud service that only runs on one device or os is not really cloud service and not to mention it is hard to create cloud service if they don't provide tools for that

Comment

Working...
              X