Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next Gen Enterprise desktop: RHEL7 vs SLE 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #1
    Maybe you will remain a moron for the rest of your life?

    Comment


    • #2
      So the only thing that matters when comparing enterprise Linux solutions is which one has the newest software. Fuck, I guess that means everyone should be running Arch testing for non-enterprise use.

      Comment


      • #3
        While I don't think newer software means immediate advantage over alternatives, I don't think having an opinion of such is moronic. The above replies to Honton, while he clearly intentionally trolls all the time, are rather unwarranted.

        However, I don't think this thread is going to be productive either way.

        Comment


        • #4
          Originally posted by Honton View Post
          So Red Hat and SUSE will go head to head with new enterprise versions for 2014. They look pretty similar so far. Linux, systemd, Gnome. What might differ are the versions used.

          RHEL7:
          Kernel 3.10 based
          Systemd: 208 based
          Gnome 3.8 based

          SLE 12(guessing from public sources due to NDA):
          Kernel 3.11 based
          Systemd: 208 based
          Gnome 3.10 based

          Maybe SUSE will have an advantage here?
          But which one charges less for security updates?

          Comment


          • #5
            Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
            Maybe you will remain a moron for the rest of your life?
            Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            So the only thing that matters when comparing enterprise Linux solutions is which one has the newest software. Fuck, I guess that means everyone should be running Arch testing for non-enterprise use.
            Grow up you guys.

            Comment


            • #6
              Originally posted by Honton View Post
              I don't think any reliable pricing are disclosed yet. I hope SUSE will be competitive.
              I'm going out on a limb to say that Oracle will still be the less expensive option.

              Comment


              • #7
                how is the pricing today on SLES 11, RHEL 6 and Oracle? Does anybody know the rank who is cheapest / more expensive? Or even exact numbers?
                Just curious

                Comment


                • #8
                  After about 5 mins of Googling

                  Oracle: https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f...75861805728468
                  Red Hat: https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/server/
                  Suse: https://www.suse.com/products/server/how-to-buy/

                  Bonus!
                  Ubuntu 'Advantage': http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=41
                  Last edited by profoundWHALE; 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #9
                    Oops, and sorry for the double post.
                    Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/server/management
                    There's a more straight-forward, easy-to-read chart.

                    Comment


                    • #10
                      You're still replying to this thread? Did you not read the thread title and the body of the post? This is clearly just Honton trolling again.

                      If you want to have a serious discussion about the pros and cons of enterprise Linux distributions, I suggest you create another thread instead of feeding Honton.

                      Comment


                      • #11
                        Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                        You're still replying to this thread? Did you not read the thread title and the body of the post? This is clearly just Honton trolling again.

                        If you want to have a serious discussion about the pros and cons of enterprise Linux distributions, I suggest you create another thread instead of feeding Honton.
                        did you see us discussing with honton? Honton is just stating facts - like he would say. so it is impossible to discuss with him, cause you would always have to guess his opinion...

                        The thread topic is interesting and so far the thread was informative.

                        Comment


                        • #12
                          Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                          did you see us discussing with honton? Honton is just stating facts - like he would say. so it is impossible to discuss with him, cause you would always have to guess his opinion...

                          The thread topic is interesting and so far the thread was informative.
                          This thread is attempting to pin RHEL users against SLE users and gives off the feeling of there can only be one winner/choice between the two.

                          Honton created a very specific and in my opinion, a hostile thread title "Next Gen Enterprise desktop: RHEL7 vs SLE 12"
                          Honton then goes on to show that SLE 12 reportedly uses Linux 3.11 and Gnome 3.10 (using underlines ) which are a whole release ahead of what RHEL 7 uses.
                          Honton finishes by stating that he/she thinks SLE 12 has an advantage over RHEL 7. This gives the impression that Honton only cares about software versions (I mean, that's all he/she mention in RHEL 7 vs SLE 12) and came to the conclusion that SLE 12 > RHEL 7 because it has slightly newer software.

                          This is subtle trolling. Period.

                          In my opinion, replying to this thread is the same as feeding Honton. It would be best to create a new thread and move your discussion there. By doing so you also prevent going off-topic since Honton's thread title is very specific.
                          Last edited by Ouroboros; 03-12-2014, 07:06 AM. Reason: s/post/thread

                          Comment


                          • #13
                            Originally posted by Honton View Post
                            You are confused about this because you don't understand the enterprise world. They pick a version as a base and then backport whatever they need. If you read my first post again you will notice I wrote about "version base" not version. Being based of a long term kernel can ease some integration work but you suffer from being less uptodate on some areas. It is all about tradeoffs. And for the record I haven't made up my mind about who might be most competitive. Because we don't have all the clues. I just hope SUSE will be profitable in this market.

                            Im grateful for any info other members dig out. I guess that Red Hat and SUSE already benchmarks and compare features by now.
                            Prrreeetttyy sure you're the one that doesn't understand. Anyway, I'm done attempting to reason with people and having to explain things. I'm sure others will be more than happy to join you in your shit-flinging contest; hopefully the ones that want a serious discussion will create another thread.

                            Comment


                            • #14
                              Ubuntu doesn't charge for security updates, they charge for actual support and documentation. However, very little software is certified to work on it.

                              This thread is attempting to pin RHEL users against SLE users and gives off the feeling of there can only be one winner/choice between the two.
                              You're not going to send $100,000 Red Hat's way, $80,000 Suse's way and $25,000 Canonical's way. You're going to pick one because your CFO wants a small budget and is clearly leaning towards Canonical until you remind him that your ERP is only certified on Red Hat.

                              Comment


                              • #15
                                Originally posted by Honton View Post
                                So Red Hat and SUSE will go head to head with new enterprise versions for 2014. They look pretty similar so far. Linux, systemd, Gnome. What might differ are the versions used.

                                RHEL7:
                                Kernel 3.10 based
                                Systemd: 208 based
                                Gnome 3.8 based

                                SLE 12(guessing from public sources due to NDA):
                                Kernel 3.11 based
                                Systemd: 208 based
                                Gnome 3.10 based

                                Maybe SUSE will have an advantage here?
                                SUSE really uses kernel 3.11 ? It is not a long term kernel , this sucks, iŽd stick RHEL7 or Debian 7 .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X