Mono Developers Regret Doing Moonlight In C++

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    "immutable" is more const then "const". D also has a "const" keyword that is less const than "immutable" (but it's different from the C++ "const"): http://dlang.org/const3.html
    I'm not arguing that, I was discussing a single point about pure functions. I think it might be useful to have immutables for it, though, but I'm not sure because I'm fairly new to pure functions approaches. However, my point was about the existence of a keyword (or attribute, in this case) to signal GCC there is a pure function, not about it providing all you need to write all kind of pure functions.

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    With the minor distinction that you can't (easily) run OS X on generic Intel hardware.
    Still, you aren't relying on the hardware but on the OS. The fact the OS is hard to install in other hardware doesn't have anything to do with how reliable the hardware is, but with the fact they sell them together and because of this they don't implement proper support for other sets of hardware.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    wrong. for fixed size arrays use std::array
    Thanks, I didn't know that container. However, for fixed size arrays I don't think I'll ever need more than C arrays. Keep in mind I'm an amateur programmer, and I don't plan on going professional; maybe those extra features are really, really useful for a professional project (I don't really know), but the only benefit I see for the kind of use I do, is that it stores the size. But then, as most containers, it's a template, and it adds to binary size, once per type, maybe once per object file too (I'm not sure, I should check that up again), the specialization of the functions, and since I don't use them it makes no sense to pay that small price.
    Also, as it still contains the array inside, it incurs in a (yeah, almost surely negligible, but unneeded in my case) overhead to access.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    There is no const attribute for variables: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Va...ble-Attributes
    So? The quoted post talks about pure functions, not about immutable variables. It's good to know, though, I haven't dive into attributes too much, I just read what seemed useful for writing pure functions, to try to refactor a bit a pet project.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      Thanks, I didn't know that container. However, for fixed size arrays I don't think I'll ever need more than C arrays. Keep in mind I'm an amateur programmer, and I don't plan on going professional; maybe those extra features are really, really useful for a professional project (I don't really know), but the only benefit I see for the kind of use I do, is that it stores the size. But then, as most containers, it's a template, and it adds to binary size, once per type, maybe once per object file too (I'm not sure, I should check that up again), the specialization of the functions, and since I don't use them it makes no sense to pay that small price.
      Also, as it still contains the array inside, it incurs in a (yeah, almost surely negligible, but unneeded in my case) overhead to access.
      Unused template functions are probably not compiled, and if they are it will be only once per executable/dynamic library.
      Also, if you use iterators, they will compile to simple pointers in Release (while there are usually more checks in debug), so no overhead.

You gain compatibility with std algorithms (sorting, pushing it back into an other container, etc..), and range checks while in debug. It depends what you're coding for (memory constrained platforms?), but it's probably worthwhile and good practice, even if just in your own projects.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        If you pass a utf8 string to third-party code chances are you are fucked.
        if you pass utf8 to some code, expecting ascii input and doing something non-utf8-safe, it will fail. but code, expecting ascii input, doesn't accept qt utf8 string either, so it won't help you anyway
        but i repeat, for overwhelming number of uses of strings, like concatenating some strings and sending them out, it does not matter

Comment

But then, as most containers, it's a template, and it adds to binary size, once per type, maybe once per object file too (I'm not sure, I should check that up again), the specialization of the functions, and since I don't use them it makes no sense to pay that small price.
          unused template members are not instantiated. used functions will be inlined into same instruction sequences as hand-written replacement. you just don't have to write them over and over again. no overhead either way.

Comment

So? The quoted post talks about pure functions, not about immutable variables. It's good to know, though, I haven't dive into attributes too much, I just read what seemed useful for writing pure functions, to try to refactor a bit a pet project.
            It talks about both. Immutable variables, and pure functions. "Immutable function" does not make any sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
              It talks about both. Immutable variables, and pure functions. "Immutable function" does not make any sense.
              Yes, but look at the part I quoted. It's obvious, since I ommited (and outright took out) the part talking about immutable variables before commenting.

And about immutable functions, I don't know where you get that from. I didn't talk about "immutable functions"...

Comment

Working...
              X