Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Both DEs remove features. That's fine, and you can hate Gnome for doing it and love KDE for doing it. But please do respect the very fact that KDE rips out code and features without consulting the users.
    You mean that they should do a poll every time they remove a feature? Let me guess, if they would do you would blame them for being a bureaucratic mess instead. Is there anything that KDE can do where you wouldn't complain. And why is it OK for Gnome to do the exactly the same, but not for KDE? Let me guess, because you are a pathetic and hypocritical troll.

    Let me ask you one thing (though I doubt I will get an answer from you): Is there anything that you ever contributed to any of those projects that actually give you the right to criticize them (and no, trolling on Phoronix is not a contribution) and entitles you to tell those developers how they should develop their project?

    Comment


    • IMO Gnome3 killed itself at first place. They removed so many features now I'm unable to use it at all since I can't make desktop to feel comfortable even in very basic aspects of desktop usage. Not to mention Linux usually used by technically skilled users who are not very happy to be treated like bunch of sclerotic morons who are unable to remember where their files are and can't handle more than 2 buttons. Also, Gnome3 devs seem to be inclined on tablet UIs. But to the date there was no tablets or smartphones released based on Gnome3. And it's not like if I need stinky tablet UI on desktop computer with huge LCD screen but without touch interfaces.

      KDE on other hand turned into overbloated monster which includes all sorts of crap I would never need. Why I need some akonadi? Nepomuk? And oh, am I really supposed to run full-blown MySQL instance? Am I really supposed to be DBA just to use desktop? I do not need any of this crap. And I don't even use any kmail/kopete/whatever k* stuff they're trying to bundle. Why force me to use some heavy blown engines which are only wasting system resources on crap I would not ever need and pollute process list?

      At the end of day, only XFCE seems to be one more or less popular DE where devs haven't gone insane about some weird crap and just making DE. Which not attempts to bundle software for all occasions, provide services for all programs in the world and not pretends my 30" screen is some "tablet". And while XFCE is lightweight enough, there're still enough settings to configure basic things people usually expects from DE into sane/usable state.
      Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 03-07-2014, 01:50 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
        KDE on other hand turned into overbloated monster which includes all sorts of crap I would never need. Why I need some akonadi? Nepomuk? And oh, am I really supposed to run full-blown MySQL instance? Am I really supposed to be DBA just to use desktop? I do not need any of this crap. And I don't even use any kmail/kopete/whatever k* stuff they're trying to bundle. Why force me to use some heavy blown engines which are only wasting system resources on crap I would not ever need and pollute process list?
        You know we don't bundle it and we don't require MySQL for the desktop. It's a very common myth, but the desktop does neither depend on Akonadi or on Nepomuk and thus also not on MySQL. And we do not try to bundle, we even renamed KDE to make it more clear that applications and desktop have nothing in common.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Honton View Post
          This is just pathetic. No one claims the data to high accuarcy and verifiable.
          So you admit that you are aware the data is not accurate and not verifiable, yet you still use it as evidence. Thanks for once again admitting your dishonesty.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Honton View Post
            Please stop this FUD and accept that KDE is dying.
            Once again your dishonesty knows no bounds. You know full well that the only one spreading FUD here is you. FUD is, by definition, an attack on a person or product. Speaking highly of something cannot, by definition, by FUD.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Honton View Post
              This is just pathetic. No one claims the data to high accuarcy and verifiable. What we are looking at is trending. Oh yes KDE is going down.
              The trend shows that KDE has the same number of contributors it had in 2004.

              This kind of kills your argument dead.

              A more intelligent man would have stopped by now.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
                it would be more interesting to investigate why the number was so high in 2008 because that's what looks wrong to me
                Im still interested in this point... maybe because I am teaching statistics at the university and need more examples for the always bored-by-naked-numbers-students

                Martin, when did the switch from cvs to git happen exactly?
                And where did oloh get the data between april 2009 and september 2010 - kde digest had no reports during this period.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  Martin, when did the switch from cvs to git happen exactly?
                  I don't know when the switch from cvs to svn happened, but the Akademy Award 2005 was for that migration. svn to git migration started around 2009 and is still ongoing. There's still code hosted on svn.

                  Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  And where did oloh get the data between april 2009 and september 2010 - kde digest had no reports during this period.
                  ohloh.net and commit-digest don't have anything to do with each other. commit-digest didn't have issues as the person in question didn't have time for it any more.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    Once again your dishonesty knows no bounds. You know full well that the only one spreading FUD here is you. FUD is, by definition, an attack on a person or product. Speaking highly of something cannot, by definition, by FUD.
                    I really miss KDE on my FreeBSD box. I'm sorry if I was being offensive.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Honton View Post
                      Oh you missed the part about maintenance burden. KDE in 2004 was much smaller and thus maintainable. The KDE 2014 is a huge mess depending on an even larger CLA toolkit. There is so much dead bloated code i KDE now.
                      You're just grasping at straws now. Stahp it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X