Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    good to hear. I heard so many people complaing about it over the years. I tried it once, but that was some years ago. So sorry that my comment sounded so negative.
    Perhaps years ago Kubuntu might have been problematic, but that would be before my time with it. I've been using it since 11.04 and every time I try something else, I always end up returning. Partly out of familiarity, of course -- I can make dpkg sing in ways that I don't want to reinvest the time elsewhere. But also because Kubuntu now provides the closest thing we have to a vanilla KDE experience lightly touched so that everything just works. Of course, as an admin of the Kubuntu forum, I'll admit that my position is probably not free of bias

    Comment


    • Originally posted by moonwalker View Post
      Just as the name implies, the only difference between LTS and non-LTS releases of Ubuntu is that for LTS Canonical provides bug fixes, security updates and commercial support for longer term than for non-LTS versions, otherwise both are derived from Debian Unstable in exactly the same way. In other words, difference between two is only in release cadence and support duration, not in the method of production.
      Indeed. Somehow, LTS has taken on the perception of being higher quality or something similar. It isn't. The only reason to stick with LTS is that you might have some kind of corporate policy mandating it. For J. Random User, sticking with LTS means staying behind.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by steveriley View Post
        Perhaps years ago Kubuntu might have been problematic, but that would be before my time with it. I've been using it since 11.04 and every time I try something else, I always end up returning. Partly out of familiarity, of course -- I can make dpkg sing in ways that I don't want to reinvest the time elsewhere. But also because Kubuntu now provides the closest thing we have to a vanilla KDE experience lightly touched so that everything just works. Of course, as an admin of the Kubuntu forum, I'll admit that my position is probably not free of bias
        All the issues I can remember were down to Launchpad and its crappy translations, that overwrote all translations supplied by KDE, and the Strigi hiccup, that was down to a crappy upstream release policy. However, I don't know if you are updating Soprano, Akonadi, and s-d-o in sync with KDE, or if you are still freezing them; that is another HUGE source for trouble I knew about Kubuntu.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          All the issues I can remember were down to Launchpad and its crappy translations, that overwrote all translations supplied by KDE, and the Strigi hiccup, that was down to a crappy upstream release policy. However, I don't know if you are updating Soprano, Akonadi, and s-d-o in sync with KDE, or if you are still freezing them; that is another HUGE source for trouble I knew about Kubuntu.
          We now remain in sync with upstream. It's typically only a matter of a few days after a new point release that we'll have updated packages in the repos.

          Strigi is long gone... http://vhanda.in/blog/2012/11/nepomuk-without-strigi/

          Comment


          • KDE is a POS especially if you have a nvidia card. Every time, the managers cannot handle the configuration of the binary driver. KDE = KRap.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Panix View Post
              KDE is a POS especially if you have a nvidia card. Every time, the managers cannot handle the configuration of the binary driver. KDE = KRap.
              Hmm no, works with issues for me.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                Hmm no, works with issues for me.
                From what I have seen on Phoronix and other forums most of the time KDE crashes that those people report to have are not the fault of KDE (which by the way works fine here, without any problems/crashes and with reasonable resource usage), but of distro maintainers that do a crappy job. If KDE works flawlessly on one distro, but crashes (in the same version) on a different distro, what is most likely at fault, the distro or KDE?
                But in the case of nutcases like Honton or Panix I personally believe that it is their inability to properly set up and maintain a Linux system.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                  Hmm no, works with issues for me.
                  Part of it is how easily Nvidia screws up a system. I'll just ignore the ahole, Vim-whatever. I guess if you google various messages you can get when driver upgrades/kernel upgrades and other versions that change, of how often it can mess up a system. But, the ahole just ignored those. I've had other instances in which something broke and I had to spend hours googling. I think the GUI managers of many distros do a poor job. I know I should have done it manually but it's been a while since I had to spend time on it. Thus far, I've read good things regarding Mint and even Ubuntu's 'update' managers for graphics drivers. I wasn't using KDE on either, though.

                  Comment


                  • I've been using nVidia binary drivers on Kubuntu for four years now, and haven't encountered any stability issues or brokenness. I always use the Xorg-Edgers PPA for the most up-to-date graphics stack and drivers, and use only apt-get and do-release-upgrade to manage system updates and release upgrades. Works flawlessly.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                      I've been using nVidia binary drivers on Kubuntu for four years now, and haven't encountered any stability issues or brokenness. I always use the Xorg-Edgers PPA for the most up-to-date graphics stack and drivers, and use only apt-get and do-release-upgrade to manage system updates and release upgrades. Works flawlessly.
                      Same here but with Debian testing!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X