No announcement yet.

Parted Magic Is Still Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure I still want to use this software.
    Just for the record. This is the email conversation I just had:
    -------
    Me: Hi,

I want a download link and want to pay with bitcoin.
    How much bitcoin do you want?

Greetings,
    Me
    --------
    Patrick Verner:
    http://partedmagic.com/bitcoin/
    --------
    Me: Are you serious about this answer?
    Don't you think I went there already?

How much bitcoin do you want? I don't see a price.
    ---------
    Patrick Verner:
    Go to a torrent site asshole.
    ---------
    Me: Dude! I want to pay for the software.
    What is your problem?
    I don't see a price on the page you gave me.
    Why do you call me an asshole
    --------

And for now that's the end of the conversation.
    Makes you wonder...
    Last edited by findftp; 06-26-2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Now we can say with absolute certainty that *he* is an asshole. His distribution was popular and respected, and certainly he got donations. But even a child knows that when you make open source software paid people will go away. Parted Magic is almost forgotten, look at Distrowatch. Others tried before, long before Parted Magic: Mandrake/Mandriva, Lindows/Linspire, Xandros, even the beautiful Libranet... Where are they now?

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
        Now we can say with absolute certainty that *he* is an asshole. His distribution was popular and respected, and certainly he got donations. But even a child knows that when you make open source software paid people will go away. Parted Magic is almost forgotten, look at Distrowatch. Others tried before, long before Parted Magic: Mandrake/Mandriva, Lindows/Linspire, Xandros, even the beautiful Libranet... Where are they now?
        There is close to no chance that Distrowatch counts me at all. The only two things it really counts are inexperienced people that came across that site that are searching for a distro and experienced people that are searching for a distro to fill a specific need.

And the thing is the difference between those major distro's you mentioned and this is obviously scale. I don't think there's anything wrong with this man earning an income from his hard work.

Comment

Parted Magic was mentioned and popular at Distrowatch before becoming paid. The point is not whether it is right or wrong for this man to earn an income, the point is whether he made an error in judgement. I can't know for certain of course, but probably he was earning more in donations than now he is from paying customers
          Last edited by Alessandro; 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Wow, it is one of those useful tools that you can get for free. Hardware detection is good. I use it in my Windows XP & 7. Great partitioning tool and can resize and add up to 4 partitions for each hard drive. Very easy to use and loads pretty fast into system memory.

Comment

Working...
            X