Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally, Team Fortress 2 Benchmarks For Phoronix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    TF2 which is unplayable on my Radeon HD 7950 in Linux.
    I can (according to net_graph 1) be pulling 40-45 FPS solid (close to 180 FPS on Windows) on Linux, but it's incredibly choppy and turning camera view results in severe microstuttering.

This is with best possible scenario, sync to vlank off in nvidia-settings and vsync disabled in game. Changing graphics settings ingame has absolutely no effect on FPS. I always ran DX8.1 mode on TF2 in Windows, simply because DX9 in TF2 is slow and ugly for me (especially as Sniper, I prefer DX8 clean scope over DX9 dirty blurry scope).

This is all with an nvidia 8400GS 1GB. Looking around the Steam for Linux discussions, I see a LOT of people are having the same problems with performance, even those with high-end CPU/GPU combos.

Comment

Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
      Very well phonorix, thank god you heard us.

If CS:GO appear on steam, you may need to benchmark it too because graphics seems better.
      There is a lot of arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity in that post. If you actually read the article (or any previous articles where Michael stated why he didn't do Source engine games), you'd realize it wasn't a matter of ignoring you.

Comment

TF2 and L4D2 are getting 60FPS stucked (Vsync ON) maxed out on my GTX460. Performance is fantastic even though Ubuntu suggests slightly outdated drivers 310.14 compared to the most recent 319.32.

On Unigine Valley the OpenGL performance difference between Windows 7 (319.32) and Ubuntu 12.04 (310.14) is less than 2% and may have to do with the driver version.
        Last edited by verde; 18 July 2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
          Windows 7 (319.32)
          319.32 is a Linux only driver. :P Are you referring to latest Windows 7 WHQL 320.49 maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            You know, Source SDK Base has it's own benchmark tool built inside which is a controlled environment displaying the island of Lost Coast. Counter-Strike Source also has this with it's video stress tester. However, I guess they aren't as demanding as TF2 which is unplayable on my Radeon HD 7950 in Linux.
            I had horrible performance on my 7850 when I first tried to launch Steam games in Mint 15... and then I realized that Ubuntu/Mint don't build the radeonsi gallium driver by default and that my 32-bit mesa was falling back to software rendering. My 64-bit applications didn't have the same issue because I had hand-built the Radeon SI 64-bit mesa drivers (after building LLVM with the R600 back-end of course).

You might want to double-check that you're actually using hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              There is a lot of arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity in that post. If you actually read the article (or any previous articles where Michael stated why he didn't do Source engine games), you'd realize it wasn't a matter of ignoring you.
              Yeah, those reasons where all bullshit since no Windows review site gives two shits about having to run the tests manually.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              After communicating with Valve and trying out the latest TF2 version on Steam, the process exiting issue has been resolved. After working around another new library path issue, the Team Fortress 2 test profile is up and running!
              About time we see some due diligence.

Other gripes I have and why the Steam-based titles are seldom benchmarked and covered on Phoronix include:

- The Steam process is hard to fully automate (100%), with different per-distribution/OS caveats and needing an account for installing the games. (This is still an issue with the current Team Fortress 2 test profile and it assumes you already have Steam installed on the system.)

- As can be seen by other common benchmarks like Unigine and Lightsmark and the id Software games, I don't really care if a given workload is open-source or not. Open-source is obviously preferred, but quality benchmarks carry more weight. Free is really nice for ensuring the community can reproduce the tests and compare the published results against their own systems. Having to deal with account registration and other hurdles decreases the likelihood others will want to reproduce and/or use the given test(s).

- The game payloads aren't freely redistributable and they're huge in size. As an example, Team Fortress 2 takes up about 13GB on-disk even though we just care about running a small time demo. For test systems that are formatted frequently (can be multiple times per week or even multiple times per day when swapping out lots of hardware/software components), this is wasted bandwidth unless manually backing up the files. This can also be a problem for enterprise test farms that are "behind the firewall" and may not have public Internet access. For the freely distributable files and what's provided by most of the test profiles, the Phoronix Test Suite and its related components can take care of file/download management, locally caching the files for other Phoronix Test Suite systems by using an intranet server or USB storage device, etc. It makes the entire install/setup process very streamlined rather than needing to download gigabytes of data through Steam each time.
              And now you are back to doing a whole lot of pointless whining... So those who move distros constantly don't move /home to it's own partition or better yet, drive? You can just backup the Steam folder and never have to redownload your games again.

- When installing Team Fortress 2 or other games through Steam, they take care of auto-updating, which is nice for gamers but not for benchmarking.
              This is the only valid complaint in the entire article.

Just run the damn tests. ALL of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                I had horrible performance on my 7850 when I first tried to launch Steam games in Mint 15... and then I realized that Ubuntu/Mint don't build the radeonsi gallium driver by default and that my 32-bit mesa was falling back to software rendering. My 64-bit applications didn't have the same issue because I had hand-built the Radeon SI 64-bit mesa drivers (after building LLVM with the R600 back-end of course).

You might want to double-check that you're actually using hardware acceleration.
                Yep, you gotta add in the Xorg Edgers PPA if you want to have the current Gallium3D or Catalyst drivers.

TF2 will run on my junked parts box with an 8800TS 320mb and an Athlon64 3500+ Clawhammer, what holds it back is the DDR266 which makes load times stupid long for some reason as I read that this is a known issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Yeah, those reasons where all bullshit since no Windows review site gives two shits about having to run the tests manually.

About time we see some due diligence.

And now you are back to doing a whole lot of pointless whining... So those who move distros constantly don't move /home to it's own partition or better yet, drive? You can just backup the Steam folder and never have to redownload your games again.

This is the only valid complaint in the entire article.

Just run the damn tests. ALL of them.
                  If you're trying to quote the article, at least remove the misleading quote ID, or better yet, quote the first post in the thread. Otherwise it looks as if you're misquoting.

Also, the size is an issue. For those who don't have it installed, it would be a hell to download the whole thing just to run a benchmark. When doing a cross-distro test, even more so. It's not even that good of a benchmark, too, as TF2 is already quite outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    If you're trying to quote the article, at least remove the misleading quote ID, or better yet, quote the first post in the thread. Otherwise it looks as if you're misquoting.

Also, the size is an issue. For those who don't have it installed, it would be a hell to download the whole thing just to run a benchmark. When doing a cross-distro test, even more so. It's not even that good of a benchmark, too, as TF2 is already quite outdated.
                    I agree it's not a great benchmark, but it's about 100 times better than anything else Michael has ever run.

I agree with Kivada - screw automated benchmarking if it means we don't get any good benchmarks. Prioritize what's actually important.

Actually, i suspect that is what michael has done, and these unspecified 3rd party companies that are paying him to develop PTS care about that, while phoronix readers get ignored because we aren't funding him.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                      I had horrible performance on my 7850 when I first tried to launch Steam games in Mint 15... and then I realized that Ubuntu/Mint don't build the radeonsi gallium driver by default and that my 32-bit mesa was falling back to software rendering.
                      Wait, so radeonsi can render source games now?

Comment

Working...
                      X