Linux Popularity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Popularity

Hey guys, I bet you are all like me and look at several sites on the net for PC news. If so check out www.anandtech.com and please email some of their staff to renew their linux section. The last article there was in 2005!

Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
    Hey guys, I bet you are all like me and look at several sites on the net for PC news. If so check out www.anandtech.com and please email some of their staff to renew their linux section. The last article there was in 2005!
    what for? all they seem to be able to do is installing windows + their usual collection
    of more or less useless benchmark "tools".
    As long as those tools aren't ported to linux
    I doubt they're going to get a kick out of doing
    linux reviews.

Why don'T you post an ad for Phoronix in the anandtech forums?

Comment

what for? all they seem to be able to do is installing windows + their usual collection
      it's harder to cheat with benchmarks on linux :]

Comment

How about just use Phoronix for your linux news.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          linux reviews.

Why don'T you post an ad for Phoronix in the anandtech forums?
          I have to agree that quality at the Anandtech is pretty low. But I can understand their lack of Linux articles because it seems like only ID and Epic are releasing games for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            I have to agree that quality at the Anandtech is pretty low. But I can understand their lack of Linux articles because it seems like only ID and Epic are releasing games for Linux.
            The biggest problem with an email campaign of any kind is that it's usually ignored. They go off of other things- and if they don't think/see a Linux enthusiast base large enough to matter to their advertisers, they're just not going to bother all that much.

Right now, I'm just glad we have LinuxGames and Phoronix around right at the moment...

Comment

hi.................

Comment

The one thing anandtech was really good for was enterprise benching. Something PTS is not setup for.... yet.

Comment

Anandtech does not meet my news needs. I can learn more talking with you guys.
                  Linux Popularity. Redhat is currently supporting way over 12 million installs.
                  Ubuntu I have no numbers on them but my best guess is they probably have well over 30 million installs.

Comment

Anandtech caters to a completely different audience, and I bet most people there don't care or want to know about Linux. Anandtech is much worse off for that, and it would be more sad if it weren't for the fact that they have created this audience themselves. I don't think there is anything lost by Anandtech not covering anything regarding Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
                      Anandtech does not meet my news needs. I can learn more talking with you guys.
                      Linux Popularity. Redhat is currently supporting way over 12 million installs.
                      Ubuntu I have no numbers on them but my best guess is they probably have well over 30 million installs.
                      Installs is a lousy metric because it doesn't give you a clue as to what people are actually using. How many of those installs have been abandoned?

XP, Vista, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, Fedora, SuSE, Linspire, Mandrake, sidux and Kubuntu can all count me as an install, but I spend 99% of my time in Ubuntu (GNOME) and the rest in Vista(64). All the rest have been wiped.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                        Installs is a lousy metric because it doesn't give you a clue as to what people are actually using. How many of those installs have been abandoned?

XP, Vista, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, Fedora, SuSE, Linspire, Mandrake, sidux and Kubuntu can all count me as an install, but I spend 99% of my time in Ubuntu (GNOME) and the rest in Vista(64). All the rest have been wiped.
                        That's not install metrics or browser metrics. The 12.5 million that redhat is supporting are people who are actively using them and are currently right now actively getting patches on their system.
                        You could guess a couple more million still using like older core 4 and core 7 installs as those are not getting patches any more. There is software that demands core 4 to run and people will only update to minimal requirements. There is also software that demands the kernel from core 7.

Now of those 12.5 million most are on the oldest supported platform and not actively testing the latest and greatest but the active latest platform testers has grown dramaticly since core 10 started it's cycle.

Community noise from fedora is dwarfed by ubuntu. If Ubuntu came out and claimed 60 million users. I would be hard pressed to try to mount a dispute of that claim.

Fedora has been working on a more efficient patching system for couple years now and it's finally rolling it out. They'll probably be piping a few dozen less terrabytes of data this year from it. Now even if half of those users are transition phase from windows dual booting back and forth waiting out software that works like they want it under linux etc it's still impressive growth.

Comment

Red Hat claims 12 million active installations? I'll have to go look for that one. The rest is mere speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                            Red Hat claims 12 million active installations? I'll have to go look for that one. The rest is mere speculation.
                            11 million of those are Google servers ;D

Comment

Red Hat executive vice president Paul Cormier said in a presentation that the company currently has over 2.5 million paid subscriptions for its Red Hat Enterprise Linux offerings.
                              This is closer to my understanding. And, it's an impressive accomplishment.

Datamation had an article last year http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...g-in-Linux.htm making some dubious claims about Fedora installations. Even by their methodology I'm good for six of those without accounting for different IPs resulting from being a DHCP client of two of my ISPs. None of the Fedora's I downloaded are active.

Frankly, they lost me as soon as they claimed the possibility that Fedora has more seats than Ubuntu.
                              Last edited by rbmorse; 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X