Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple graphics switching through BIOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
    Alrighty, I finished making the packages The source code and packaging are available here: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Fedora-Hybrid-Graphics

    Instructions.
    .
    .
    .
    I got a "nothing to do" error
    http://sdrv.ms/12Rel03

    Pretty bad as I lost my system when I was trying to go back Intel -> AMD and restored an image with a working Catalyst specifically to test this. I may not be able to test this again soon.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Bucic View Post
      I got a "nothing to do" error
      http://sdrv.ms/12Rel03

      Pretty bad as I lost my system when I was trying to go back Intel -> AMD and restored an image with a working Catalyst specifically to test this. I may not be able to test this again soon.
      What version of the catalyst drivers do you currently have installed?

      Code:
      rpm -qa | grep catalyst
      EDIT: Maybe try installing the RPMs with "rpm -Uvh /path/to/rpms" instead of "yum install".

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
        What version of the catalyst drivers do you currently have installed?

        Code:
        rpm -qa | grep catalyst
        I had 13.1. Right now I'm toying with F19 alpha so I may not be able to respond quickly...

        Comment


        • #49
          It seems the ask.fedora method I used doesn't work anymore. I'd test your program but I don't know any other method of downgrading the damn xorg
          http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...m-1-13-to-1-12

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Bucic View Post
            It seems the ask.fedora method I used doesn't work anymore. I'd test your program but I don't know any other method of downgrading the damn xorg
            http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...m-1-13-to-1-12
            I replied to your other thread. The instructions at ask.fedoraproject.org work fine, but they require a little change if you need to do it again on the same installation.

            If only AMD would update their damn drivers

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
              Alrighty, I finished making the packages The source code and packaging are available here: https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Fedora-Hybrid-Graphics

              Instructions

              1. Switch to the AMD/ATI card in the BIOS. This is just to prevent any crashes when you install xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy.

              2. Install xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy just like from the link you posted (https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questi...gacy-chipsets/).

              3. Reboot and make sure everything is fine.

              4. Clone my git repo:

              Code:
              sudo yum install git rpmdevtools rpm-build wget
              git clone https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Fedora-Hybrid-Graphics.git
              cd Fedora-Hybrid-Graphics/
              5. Install my patched Catalyst legacy drivers.

              Code:
              cd xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy/
              wget --inet4-only 'http://developer.amd.com.php53-23.ord1-1.websitetestlink.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/xvba-sdk-0.74-404001.tar.gz'
              spectool -g xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy.spec
              sudo yum-builddep xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy.spec
              rpmbuild -bb xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy.spec --define "_sourcedir $(pwd)" --define "_rpmdir $(pwd)"
              sudo yum install ./x86_64/xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-legacy-*hybridgfx*.rpm
              6. Install the hybrid-detect autoswitcher.

              Code:
              cd ../hybrid-detect-fglrx/
              sudo yum-builddep hybrid-detect-fglrx.spec
              rpmbuild -bb hybrid-detect-fglrx.spec --define "_sourcedir $(pwd)" --define "_rpmdir $(pwd)"
              sudo yum install ./x86_64/hybrid-detect-fglrx-*.rpm
              7. Reboot and enjoy graphics switching!

              If anything goes wrong in the future (GUI not starting, etc.), try removing /var/lib/hybrid-detect/last_gfx_boot and then rebooting. That will force hybrid-detect to redetect which graphics card is enabled.

              Please let me know if there are any issues
              Hi Chen,

              Do these changes prevent the packages functioning normally on none hybrid systems?


              Leigh

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
                Hi Chen,

                Do these changes prevent the packages functioning normally on none hybrid systems?


                Leigh
                Hi Leigh,

                The changes should function fine a non-hybrid systems. The Catalyst drivers will always load if hybrid-detect-fglrx is not installed. So everything should work as it does now.

                I do not have a hybrid Intel/ATI system, so I've been testing by swapping the hard drives between a laptop that only has Intel graphics and a laptop that only has AMD graphics.

                Cheers,
                Xiao-Long

                Comment

                Working...
                X