Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest Ubuntu Alternative

Title.

The distribution should be "consumer" friendly, in installation and in service; and have some sort of "market place" (ie GUI frontend to big local package repo, or application manager etc).

I have recently tried Unity and polished unity looks pretty good.

But with current Ubuntu policy of
    1) "we want to control everything", ie "Mir" case
    2) "we require CLA everywhere", ie can turn all into closed source
    sure people will search for alternative.

Please suggest and explain why(strong points, weak points).

here

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      Title.

The distribution should be "consumer" friendly, in installation and in service; and have some sort of "market place" (ie GUI frontend to big local package repo, or application manager etc).

Please suggest and explain why(strong points, weak points).
      Mint or Debian will be the closest to your Ubuntu experience. Mint is basically Ubuntu without the stupid, and Debian is Ubuntu's basis lacking some polish, but overall comfortable to use and with excellent package repository.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Mint or Debian will be the closest to your Ubuntu experience. Mint is basically Ubuntu without the stupid, and Debian is Ubuntu's basis lacking some polish, but overall comfortable to use and with excellent package repository.
        Debian has always outdated software.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          Debian has always outdated software.
          Sure. But Wheezy is kind a new(by Debian standard). Once Wheezy is out, there will be a new testing dist.

Otherwise: Arch if you have the time and nerve for it.

Comment

I recommend Arch if you want to learn Linux deeper... or even Gentoo ;] i think they got best step by step documentation

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
              Before everyone suggest PCBSD, lets be real:

--------------------------
              PCBSD is not an alternative to Ubuntu.

PCBSD is an alternative to the shit which comes out of your anus when you sit on the toilet.
              --------------------------

Anyone who suggest PCBSD should kill themselfs NOW
              The only alternative for the shit that comes out of your anus is the shit in your brain, sputtering out of your mouth.

Comment

@funkSTAR
                I wasn't asking for distributions to try, I was asking for very specific distribution. The distro is also not for me, I prefer exherbo.
                I was actually thinking someone recommends Magea etc. Going to try that out in VM soon.
                But thanks for suggesting!

@pingufunkybeat
                Debian lacks the noob desktop finish. Its more "universal OS", which means "requires a lot of polishing to produce specific result". Nothing against that, but its just outside of the scope. The freshness of software is actually very good @ debian.
                I find Mint to be actually worse than Ubuntu "right now". But its reputation is ofc much better. Still, they use Ubuntu packages,.. which leaves a bit of taste in mouth... Its like using WINE for gaming, if you know what I mean.
                Thanks for suggesting!

@Pallidus
                Haha

@CthuIhux
                @Vim_User

Oh, cmmon, not this "trollnado" again.

Comment

I am no linux-savvy who switched to Fedora after over a year on Ubuntu. I highly recommend it! Just get one of these to do the initial configuration for you

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Fedora is stable "testing ground" and daily usable. The instability issues are grossly exaggerated.
                  Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  [/B]
                  This needs to be repeated more often! I'm a casual Linux user (it's my only system though), I switched from Ubuntu and I actually have less problems with Fedora compared to Ubuntu. On top of that I get quite fresh kernel without any fiddling.
                  Last edited by Bucic; 10 March 2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    I find Mint to be actually worse than Ubuntu "right now". But its reputation is ofc much better. Still, they use Ubuntu packages,.. which leaves a bit of taste in mouth... Its like using WINE for gaming, if you know what I mean.
                    There is also debian based Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Comment

Working...
                    X