• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    There is also debian based Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
    Used it, sucks great deal.
    - very inconsequently built
    - repository is not full debian repository
    - actually, its not rolling release; its "wave-release", which means it may break compatiblity with debian itself.
    - (debian specific) no ppa
    - a lot of automation missing, which you expect from for-noob distro

it feels like debian, behaves like debian, so why not debian instead. But debian is definitely not for-noob distro. A lot of functionality one expects on Ubuntu, is RTFM and "do yourself" thing on Debian.

Comment

Mageia?
      Chakra?
      PCLinuxOS?
      Last edited by alexcortes; 12 March 2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

How about Fuduntu? http://www.fuduntu.org/

Fedora based OS that strives for the easy nature of Ubuntu and even has jockey-gtk etc.

It is Gnome 2 though... if you miss G2 you may love it but then it may also seem out-dated to you. Still it (Fuduntu) gets a good rap most places.

If you want an easier and out of the box Arch system, but still have the inherent power and bleeding edge of Arch, there's always Manjaro Linux http://manjaro.org/

Comment

I'm a big KDE fan, and pretty much if you want to go with that then I recommend Rosa. Or if you're feeling adventurous and not installing it on a laptop, PC-BSD.

But if you do prefer other UIs, then there would be better options out there for you.

Comment

What about openSUSE?

Comment

Arch(if you want to learn linux) or Mint (if you want ubuntu based)

Comment

Here's a thought...

Oh hell they ALL suck in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by Whizard72 View Post
                  Oh hell they ALL suck in some way.
                  Seriously...

Okay so Mint leaves that bad Ubuntu taste in your mouth? Arch unnerves you? Well that restricts your greatly.

KDE based
                  Chakra
                  OpenSuse (12.3 releases soon)

Gnome
                  Fedora
                  Mageia
                  PCLinuxOS

Since it's free try them all on a banger box or virtual machine and see if you dig any of them... if not. Windows 7 or OsX =) .

Comment

What I use.

Mint is just not for me. I'm a Ubuntu user and I compile my own kernels and re-build some of my system stack, not needed? No but I do because I can. =)

ArchLinux does 'unnerve' me when I spend tons of hours installing and tweaking everything just right and a bleeding edge package destroys hours of work in seconds. That's not for me or any other sane computer user with an actual day job and family life.

OpenSuse? Well SUSE Linux 9.1 was my first linux distro back in 2005 before I switched to Ubuntu in 2009. Nowadays I can't make headway with OpenSUSE, it's too different in terms of how I've learned to do things.

The others are good but they aren't better than Ubuntu which sucks in some ways also.

Windows 7? I love how fast it makes thumbnails of all your media files, even PDFs and h264 encoded matroska containers. Oh wait..

Windows 8? ROTFLMAO!!! Good joke mate.

OSX? Well I'd consider running that if I thought I had anything but bad choices for the box to run it on! The only box that fits me is the Mac Pro and that's a $2500 entrance fee.

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    Seriously...

Okay so Mint leaves that bad Ubuntu taste in your mouth? Arch unnerves you? Well that restricts your greatly.

KDE based
                    Chakra
                    OpenSuse (12.3 releases soon)

Gnome
                    Fedora
                    Mageia
                    PCLinuxOS

Since it's free try them all on a banger box or virtual machine and see if you dig any of them... if not. Windows 7 or OsX =)

Comment

I like fedora, once you add the rpmfusion repo for multimedia stuff and the infinality repo for good font rendering its great I'm currently using fedora 18 with gnome 3 and it runs great, very solid; surprisingly actually more stable than ubuntu 12.10 did for me and this is a system76 laptop (all my hardware works out of the box in fedora 18 too, in ubuntu i needed to install the system76 driver to get the card reader and brightness keys to work)
                      Last edited by bwat47; 12 March 2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X