Windows is dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I can't be bothered to give a flying rat's rear if it involves getting locked in and spitting in the face of established standards. If I use Product A and it's supplier (let's called it Supplier A) happens to publish a crapton of good, powerful proprietary software that are specially designed to work with and only with Product A, i'd be crazy NOT to use it. Take the religious war over standards away from where I am; I don't welcome it one bit.
    When, not if, you need to move away from Supplier A and its locked-in solutions, this will come back to bite you with costs well over what it would have cost to use standards in the first place.

There is nothing religious in that, it's pure finances.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
      I was tired of reading the forum about FreeBSD dying. The obvious fact is that Windows is dying.
      Computer OS market share by Goldman Sachs (using data of computer industry and retail business)

1. Android Linux 42%
      2. Apple OS 24%
      3. Windows 20%
      4. Others 14% (including some other Linux distros like Mint, Mageia, Ubuntu, Fedora, SUSE, Arch, Debian etc....)

There are couple of things people should stop talking:

1. The myth of "1% Linux". Most of statistics maintaining that myth are pay-per-click surveys, just like Net Application...
      2. Computer is not PC. Smartphone, tablets and ARM-devices are computers too. Over 70% of latest new computers are mobiles, non-mobiles share is shrinking all the time. In 2013 hardly more than 20% of new devices are traditional laptops or desktops.

I would say that even Goldman Sachs figures are too conservative. Android Linux has already 70% of mobiles, and mobiles got 70% of new devices. Surely Android got some 49-51% of markets of new devices sold in Nov-Dec 2012. That's the real situation in IT world now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Wait... isn't that double what all the Linux distros have combined after two decades of work?
        There is one little difference: M$ could enforce OEMs to do what they want under risk of losing some preferences and "discounts". Which effectively means that MS could seriously wreck OEM's business if OEM refuses to play under rules from MS. As the result, each and every OEM sells most of PCs/notebooks with Windows preinstalled. And MS requires to preinstall Win8 these days. So it doomed to gain some market share because... because it's gettings quite a troublesome to buy PC or notebook without win8 crap. Linux is not distributed these ways. And "defaults will prevail", you know.

However there is something interesting:
        1) 2% indicates that nobody has been excited about this OS. It's really a crap. People only buy it when some hardware fails and they have to replace. Then they eat this crap due to lack of other options.
        2) PC market is no match to mobile markets these days. That's where M$ has epically failed. WinPhone7/8? WinRT? Oh, they should rename it to EPIC FAIL.
        3) All this causes M$ empire to collapse. At the end of day they're losing ability to control OEMs. They're starting to prefer android and other things. Because they can't have good margins with win8 anyway due to market saturation and problematic OS look and feel.

Sure, Titanic can't sunk in just a minute. It's way too huge. Yet it looks like if they've already hit their iceberg.
        Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 06 January 2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

True.

In two months Windows 8 was only able to accumulate 2% desktop market share.

Wait... isn't that double what all the Linux distros have combined after two decades of work?

Last time I remember, Linux together with dual installations, has 10% of desktops and laptops. If you count tablets and smartphones (android, eventually from a java toy, will be a full C++ distribution, LLVM based probably), Linux(GPL) just destroys closed (Windows and Mac) and BSD semi-closed things all together.

Comment

nonsense

Originally posted by artivision View Post
            Last time I remember, Linux together with dual installations, has 10% of desktops and laptops. If you count tablets and smartphones (android, eventually from a java toy, will be a full C++ distribution, LLVM based probably), Linux(GPL) just destroys closed (Windows and Mac) and BSD semi-closed things all together.
            Either all your friends are geeks or just looks around. There is no way that 1/10 th is linux maybe 1/30 or so. In fact most of my non geek friends dont run it. I dont even "force" them because I know that they want to play games and linux is mess. Only if they use facebook and watch youtube then I recomend using linux.

Comment

there must be something in the water because phoronix posters are becoming increasingly more and more retarded.

Windows will not die on the PC because it has infected the PC ecosystem so much that it would take the entire ecosystem to die in order for windows to disappear.

Windows 8 is a piece of shit, but then again so was vista,bob, etc etc etc

MICROSOFT COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT, next year they'll just release

WINDOWS 9 without metro and EVERY FUCKING RETARD WILL PRAISE IT LIKE THEY DID WITH WIN7

AS LONG AS new laptops/desktops/pcs SHIP WITH WINDOWS BY DEFAULT EVERY FUCKING RETARD WILL CONTINUE TO USE IT

get that tru your fucking retarded skulls that people STICK WITH whatever OS came BUNDLED with their computer.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK XP IS STILL THE MOST WIDELY USED OS?

Only when the PC dies will Windows DIE... and microsoft knows this and that's why they wanted to infect the tablets/smartphones just like they did the PC's

it didn't work BECAUSE there are actually GOOD alternatives in the tablet/smartphone ecosystem and because WINDOWS 8 IS A PIECE OF SHIT that even shit-eating-mongoloid retards avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                there must be something in the water because phoronix posters are becoming increasingly more and more retarded.

Windows will not die on the PC because it has infected the PC ecosystem so much that it would take the entire ecosystem to die in order for windows to disappear.

Windows 8 is a piece of shit, but then again so was vista,bob, etc etc etc

MicroSuck COULDN'T GIVE A SHIT, next year they'll just release

WINDOWS 9 without metro and EVERY FUCKING RETARD WILL PRAISE IT LIKE THEY DID WITH WIN7

AS LONG AS new laptops/desktops/pcs SHIP WITH WINDOWS BY DEFAULT EVERY FUCKING RETARD WILL CONTINUE TO USE IT

get that tru your fucking retarded skulls that people STICK WITH whatever OS came BUNDLED with their computer.

WHY THE FUCK DO YOU THINK XP IS STILL THE MOST WIDELY USED OS?

Only when the PC dies will Windows DIE... and MicroSuck knows this and that's why they wanted to infect the tablets/smartphones just like they did the PC's

it didn't work BECAUSE there are actually GOOD alternatives in the tablet/smartphone ecosystem and because WINDOWS 8 IS A PIECE OF SHIT that even shit-eating-mongoloid retards avoid.
                So you are basically saying that people use whatever is preinstalled on their PC. And from the observations of the mobile market, we can deduce that people make a different decision because they are given that choice? Hence the fall of Windows??

However, Windows was kind of late in the mobile market. What if they were the first? Do you dare to assert that people would not by any tablets and smartphones because it has Windows on it? Doubt it.

Furthermore, if people are locked in to the Windows monopoly. Why do I see more and more people chosing Apple? My parents are considering it as well.

Conclusion, people don't care. If a relative is able to send and receive e-mails with you, who cares what OS generated it? If you can do your banking online, who cares what OS drives the browser? Microsoft is giving people what they want. An easy way to use a computer. I dare to say that I will never touch a computer if my dad successfully completes a git bisect session.

And as for the viruses and hackers that steal people's money, the user get's the blame. That is just brilliant. People don't know how it works, but they still want it. So *any* negative outcome is blamed on them. You did not install proper anti virus! You did not install a good firewall! You don't update often enough! You click on links without thinking! No one ever mentioned that once we got our first PC + dial up...

And then comes the geek: You should do it competely differently! Install another OS! Learn to use a terminal! (To do what? The end-user might think)

I would turn nuts...

Comment

rexilion are you dyslexic?

WTF DID I WRITE? TELL ME WTF DID I WRITE?

People will buy their shitty laptops/tablets/smartphones AND FUCKING USE THE OS THAT THEY COME WITH

The great majority won't even give A FUCK ABOUT CLICKING THE 'UPDATE' BUTTOn do you really think they are going to install ANY OS

LINUX COULD BE MADE OUT OF BLOWJOBS AND CUTE PUPPIES AND PEOPLE WOULD STILL NOT SWITCH FROM WINDOWS 8

it's the same in tablets and smartphones

UNLESS canonical ships tablets or smartphones with ubuntu they will fail.

Windows 8 was exactly that = a way to get tablets/smartphones shipped with windows

IT FAILED because people prefer to buy other phones and tablets

the people that buy apple, like your parents, are fucking retards that fail to see that they are buying THE EXACT SAME SHIT HARDWARE and paying OUT OF THEIR ASS for a shitty bsd stolen operating system

Comment

rexilion are you dyslexic?

WTF DID I WRITE? TELL ME WTF DID I WRITE?
                    Maybe I'm dyslexic indeed. Failing to read over capitalized opinions riddled with foul language and insults. I regret spending time on reading your post and trying to write a decent response. Yes, I need a new hobby.

People will buy their shitty laptops/tablets/smartphones AND FUCKING USE THE OS THAT THEY COME WITH

The great majority won't even give A FUCK ABOUT CLICKING THE 'UPDATE' BUTTOn do you really think they are going to install ANY OS

LINUX COULD BE MADE OUT OF BLOWJOBS AND CUTE PUPPIES AND PEOPLE WOULD STILL NOT SWITCH FROM WINDOWS 8

it's the same in tablets and smartphones
                    That is exactly what I said: People don't care. As long as it 'works'.

UNLESS canonical ships tablets or smartphones with ubuntu they will fail.

Windows 8 was exactly that = a way to get tablets/smartphones shipped with windows

IT FAILED because people prefer to buy other phones and tablets
                    Wait, Ubuntu fails because they don't ship preinstalled on phones. And now Windows 8 fails because it did exactly that. Care to elaborate?

the people that buy apple, like your parents, are fucking retards that fail to see that they are buying THE EXACT SAME SHIT HARDWARE and paying OUT OF THEIR ASS for a shitty bsd stolen operating system
                    I said that my parents are considering buying a Mac. It's in their 'mindset' so to speak. A viable option which needs more consideration. About the hardware yes, I agree on that. You are paying a lot more for inferior hardware. A regular PC is at least as powerfull yet it costs a little less than half.

Could you please cut the swearing, foul language and personal insults? Really, I'm suprised that you are allowed to do this. There is no need to use such methods in expressing your opinion. It makes you look... uneducated. Furthermore, I sometimes read irc-logs including those from nouveau devs. Ever heard of 'Moronix'?

Comment

True.

In two months Windows 8 was only able to accumulate 2% desktop market share.

No, Linux desktop share is much greater than estimated. There is, in fact, only ONE organization that is in a position to actually count linux desktop installations. Strangely, that organization is the same spawn of satan as responsible for that death being discussed in this thread... steve balmer... who places the linux desktop share at GREATER THAN APPLE. Apple's position has been fairly stable over the decades near approximately 10%, which places linux desktop ABOVE 10%.

Ask yourself this seriously; how would YOU count linux desktop installs, besides breaking everyone's doors down and physically counting?

You can use web browser UA headers, which of course, represent different numbers depending on the services offered by that particular server or group of servers used for the calculations, and is easily and often FAKED. You could use DOWNLOAD counts, which are actually NOT counted (or countable), and a single download could represent many installations. Another way is to use SALES figures, but no, there aren't all that many Linux SALES since its free. How about using your competitions' sales figures? Hmm... how about using your OWN sales figures VS actual product registrations? ---- now we're on to something. How many copies were sold vs how many actually activated? Virtually EVERY SINGLE SALE that isn't "activated" is a check for Linux desktop. I'm sure that they also detect dual-boot situations and can even count the time spent in the various OS's being booted. Those are statistics relatively easy to pick out of the system logs and send off during the next update check.

Of course, the more apt question that you completely missed isn't whether MS is dying on the desktop, but whether the desktop ITSELF is dying. How about comparing the sales figures of ANDROID vs MS in the portable space? Or how about comparing Android portable sales vs MS desktop sales? -- you may find that FAR more Android DEVICES sell than total MS SOFTWARE sales (including so-called "upgrades").

Ask yourself this question: What does the average home user need with a desktop? Its actually a very interesting question because you can actually plug a monitor, keyboard, and mouse into a phone or tablet, and aside from word processing, the phone or tablet can replace all of the functions that are used by the average home user. Not only that, but it is infinitely simpler for that average home user to obtain and install software for a phone or tablet.

So word processing is now "the" missing (partially) function, which is, of course, an important function, but neither TOTALLY missing, nor irreplaceable. After all, it hardly makes any sense to upgrade your 15 year old desktop computer just for word processing. You also can use online word processing (google drive/docs, steve balmer online, etc.) -- and then, of course, the future DOES hold the promise more complete word processing on phones and tablets; LibreOffice for Android tentatively scheduled for "late 2013", and even msoffice for Android and iflake, which is really interesting since its appearance would actually be an ADMISSION of failure on the part of MS. Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/36...id-screenshots

windoze dying? Yep. They're sweating bullets. Their mobile platform is a string of total failures, yet the whole world is switching over to mobile. As the desktop dies, they may hold on to a shrinking portion of it as users migrate towards portable computing. The desktop will never completely die though, there will always be power users needing the greater computational power combined with low latency of desktop computers (as opposed to processing on servers with network latency), but these users are, interestingly, more likely to be Linux users than either ms or apple. The desktop will fade away, leaving only the Linux portion of it alive.

Comment

Working...
                      X