What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    your comment puts you in the consumer camp - but i suppose thats just how you (t)roll
    Let me get this straight: Everyone who sometimes opts for a proprietary solution is automatically a consumer and only a consumer. And everyone who uses purely open-source software is not, even though they may never contribute anything back. That's what your brilliant deduction tells me.
    Your comment puts you in the rainbows-and-unicorns-land where you can clearly separate the evil ones from the good ones, with no in-between possible - but I suppose that's just how you troll.

really if the licence means nothing to you go use apple stuff
    Why should I go use apple stuff, if apple stuff isn't what I perceive as the best tool for the job? What you wrote makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - but I suppose that's just how you troll.

Man, this game is fun. Cue even more overly simplistic or downright nonsensical stuff in 3... 2... 1...

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      Let me get this straight: Everyone who sometimes opts for a proprietary solution is automatically a consumer and only a consumer. And everyone who uses purely open-source software is not, even though they may never contribute anything back. That's what your brilliant deduction tells me.
      Your comment puts you in the rainbows-and-unicorns-land where you can clearly separate the evil ones from the good ones, with no in-between possible - but I suppose that's just how you troll.

Why should I go use apple stuff, if apple stuff isn't what I perceive as the best tool for the job? What you wrote makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - but I suppose that's just how you troll.

Man, this game is fun. Cue even more overly simplistic or downright nonsensical stuff in 3... 2... 1...
      if you're happy to use your equipment as the proprietary software says you should then more power to you - you should be proud of your consumer status!

I like to tinker/modify and find new and interesting things to do with my equipment - this is not possible without source code and the ability to modify the source code. This ofcourse makes me a zealot and i'm proud of my zealot status

it is very simple - as simple as a consumer...duuuh!

Comment

I like to tinker/modify and find new and interesting things to do with my equipment
        I'm now going to give you the biggest shocker of your life: So do I! A lot of the apps I use I've hacked at the source level, to make them better suit my preferences. Some of these hacks I've even shared with others.

So, as simple as a consumer, right? Wrong! But that's where overly simplistic views get you. You took one piece of info and thought you knew everything. When in reality, all you've shown is your ignorance.

Comment

right then so you're a consumer - you have no interest on how it was created and how it works or modification you just use or 'consume' it because you're happy to use a product

there is no shame in being a consumer - not everyone has an imagination!

just remember - you are using more computing power than sent man to the moon connected to the largest most complex network ever devised and you use it to do what? play cards on facebook? playing peekaboo on call of modern battlefield 4 ? run phoronix benchmarks ?
          Nice attempt at a troll, but I am more then a consumer, I am also a developer. In fact it is nice to use libraries and code no matter what the license is in combination to achieve my needs. Too bad for the others that might benefit from my combinations but political licenses prohibit me from distributing it. Not my fault, the licenses. While you are sitting there crying and whining about political agendas others are making use of the best possible combination to make use out of the hardware we use.
          Last edited by deanjo; 24 November 2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I am not offended by being labelled a zealot by the proprietary arse kissers - so i wonder why the arse kissers get offended when they're labelled 'consumers'...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Nice attempt at a troll, but I am more then a consumer, I am also a developer. In fact it is nice to use libraries and code no matter what the license is in combination to achieve my needs. Too bad for the others that might benefit from my combinations but political licenses prohibit me from distributing it. Not my fault, the licenses. While you are sitting there crying and whining about political agendas others are making use of the best possible combination to make use out of the hardware we use.
              I am failing to see how you can develop closed sourced software unless you work for <insert corporate giant>

Comment

I am not offended by being labelled a zealot by the proprietary arse kissers - so i wonder why the arse kissers get offended when they're labelled 'consumers'...
                We aren't, as we are consumers, the same with you unless you created your own hardware. There is nothing that says a person cannot be a consumer and a developer at the same time. In fact almost every consumer is a developer. It is you that appear to think that they are two separate items that are antonyms of each other when in fact they have very little to do with each other.

Comment

I am failing to see how you can develop closed sourced software unless you work for <insert corporate giant>
                  Easy, there is a lot of closed source libraries that are easily tied in with open source source software. Nothing prohibits be from linking the two together as long as I don't redistribute because it would violate the terms of the various code that is under different licenses and prohibits such redistribution. I gain, everyone else loses. Can I do anything about it, nope. So instead of bitching and complaining I just use it and get my goals achieved and move onto the next project.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Easy, there is a lot of closed source libraries that are easily tied in with open source source software. Nothing prohibits be from linking the two together as long as I don't redistribute because it would violate the terms of the various code that is under different licenses and prohibits such redistribution. I gain, everyone else loses. Can I do anything about it, nope. So instead of bitching and complaining I just use it and get my goals achieved and move onto the next project.
                    so when the closed library doesn't do as your project demands what will you do? you cant modify it, all you can do is just pester <insert corporate giant> for them to change it or even fix it

i still fail to see how using a part closed part open system aids in development it can only hinder it

Comment

so when the closed library doesn't do as your project demands what will you do? you cant modify it, all you can do is just pester <insert corporate giant> for them to change it or even fix it
                      No then I go look for another solution or develop one as it did not fit my needs. Simple as that.

i still fail to see how using a part closed part open system aids in development it can only hinder it
                      You are right, you fail to see it.

If I decide to eat KFC chicken with it's secret 7 herbs and spices with my home grown potatoes the net result is that I get a meal that I enjoy. The difference being is that my potatoes don't come with a sign that prohibits me from combining the two in my meal and sharing it.
                      Last edited by deanjo; 24 November 2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X