Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    We've already covered that no, it's not that simple. It's not an either/or thing. But keep living in your rainbows-and-unicorns-land.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

      Yes, that's the key. One of the best ways to get money from customers is keeping them captive, not letting them choose later. It's like the first "free dose" from drug dealers, they make it easy to get in, but very difficult to get out. That wouldn't happen if people thought about long term.
      Yes indeed. Whilst Richard Stallman can be a bit radical (though his radical nature probably helps provide balance from the corporate radicals anyway) I quite agree with what he says in regard to schools and how Microsoft gets the software to them cheaply or even free and then breeds dependence. The whole idea of free software seems very compatible with education and learning, so it's a great shame more schools don't embrace it. Indeed, I've heard many cases where teachers do not know the existence of such things and instantly tell students that something "free" cannot be legal. Which is horrifying ignorance/lack of understanding IMO, although it's not entirely their individual fault.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        We've already covered that no, it's not that simple. It's not an either/or thing. But keep living in your rainbows-and-unicorns-land.
        isn't unicorn filled rainbow land the ultimate goal? unicorn filled rainbow land being a complete, fully functional and free ecosystem for all computing devices?

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
          isn't unicorn filled rainbow land the ultimate goal?
          It's a fairy-tale land that doesn't exist. Meaning your simplistic views only work in a fantasy world, not in this place we live in called reality.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            Yes indeed. Whilst Richard Stallman can be a bit radical (though his radical nature probably helps provide balance from the corporate radicals anyway) I quite agree with what he says in regard to schools and how Microsoft gets the software to them cheaply or even free and then breeds dependence. The whole idea of free software seems very compatible with education and learning, so it's a great shame more schools don't embrace it. Indeed, I've heard many cases where teachers do not know the existence of such things and instantly tell students that something "free" cannot be legal. Which is horrifying ignorance/lack of understanding IMO, although it's not entirely their individual fault.
            education is the key!

            it is in the best interests of corporations to educate people as consumers

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              It's a fairy-tale land that doesn't exist. Meaning your simplistic views only work in a fantasy world, not in this place we live in called reality.
              woah you sound depressed - understandable if your a omni consuming mobile excrement production facility

              they put a man on the moon and split the atom for <insert deity name>s sake are you serious that this is _NOT_ possible ? because aside from a few crappy corporations holding their cards to their chests it exists now

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                woah you sound depressed - understandable if your a omni consuming mobile excrement production facility
                I hope you realize writing such crap only makes you look ridiculous. It's a step up from the previous unimaginative stuff like "dickhead", I'll give you that, but no less ridiculous.

                Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                for <insert deity name>s sake are you serious that this is _NOT_ possible ?
                Of course it isn't. Show me unicorns. You can't. They are a made up animal, they don't exist.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  I hope you realize writing such crap only makes you look ridiculous. It's a step up from the previous unimaginative stuff like "dickhead", I'll give you that, but no less ridiculous.

                  Of course it isn't. Show me unicorns. You can't. They are a made up animal, they don't exist.
                  what no technical argument? why is a free ecosystem not realistic?

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                    what no technical argument? why is a free ecosystem not realistic?
                    Where did I say that? I'm talking about a land with unicorns.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                      Where did I say that? I'm talking about a land with unicorns.
                      and like i said in #78

                      "isn't unicorn filled rainbow land the ultimate goal? unicorn filled rainbow land being a complete, fully functional and free ecosystem for all computing devices?"

                      why isn't it possible ?

                      aside from a little microcode and the bios the laptop i'm on now is completely free

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                        and like i said in #78
                        Yes, you redefined what I said to something else, because you had no answer to the actual point I was making - which is that your simplistic views don't work in reality.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          It begins to be the time to enable addblock or whatever for this site.


                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                            Yes, you redefined what I said to something else, because you had no answer to the actual point I was making - which is that your simplistic views don't work in reality.
                            what in the name of jimmy savile are you talking about - ofcourse unicorns do not exist! how can you even afford a computer with such a crack cocaine problem?

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                              what in the name of jimmy savile are you talking about - ofcourse unicorns do not exist!
                              How can you know? I mean really, truly, know?

                              To prove that unicorns do not exist, you have to visit every point in the universe, simultaneously and at once, to observe that no unicorn is present.

                              To prove that unicorns do exist, you simply have to find one.

                              Clearly, it is physically impossible to perform the first requirement, while to perform the second one is entirely possible. Therefore, I conclude that unicorns do exist. They have to exist. Have to have to have to!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                                How can you know? I mean really, truly, know?

                                To prove that unicorns do not exist, you have to visit every point in the universe, simultaneously and at once, to observe that no unicorn is present.

                                To prove that unicorns do exist, you simply have to find one.

                                Clearly, it is physically impossible to perform the first requirement, while to perform the second one is entirely possible. Therefore, I conclude that unicorns do exist. They have to exist. Have to have to have to!


                                well yeh if you put it like that then they must exist somewhere in the infinite multiverse... it would seem that trolls exist too

                                my point is valid though - what is wrong with a completely free ecosystem? and why is such a thing 'a fairy tale' when even me - a member of the un-washed masses is using a laptop now that is 99% free as aside from microcode and the bios

                                will my raspberry pi require any non-free microcode or bios i wonder..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X