Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Linux Users Need To Know When Holiday Shopping For PC Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    This. But isn't the option to turn it off mandatory?
    No that is entirely up to the discretion of the manufacturer.

    In which case, there should be legal action...
    That's what I would have preferred the Linux Foundation would have gone after but locking down a system is not illegal. Should it be? Probably. Is it though? Nope.

    Comment


    • #32
      Running an XPS15, 525m with Optimus on the latest R310 drivers with Bumblebee, no issues at all, runs perfectly fine.

      Comment


      • #33
        Why do people care about what X/Y/Z company does? If it sucks don't use it!. The proprietary model sucks - the fact that you're using free software proves that you think it sucks too. If you're not a zealot then you must use it on technical merit - this proves that the free development model is better ( to you at least ) and this in turn makes you as big a zealot as me.

        If you're not a zealot however you're just another pathetic consumer who is trolling phoronix looking for a typing fight in defence of your twisted views.... nobody cares!

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
          Why do people care about what X/Y/Z company does? If it sucks don't use it!. The proprietary model sucks - the fact that you're using free software proves that you think it sucks too. If you're not a zealot then you must use it on technical merit - this proves that the free development model is better ( to you at least ) and this in turn makes you as big a zealot as me.
          Or maybe, just maybe, people are using what they perceive as the best tool for the job. And sometimes this tool is open source, sometimes it's a proprietary blob. Nah, couldn't possibly be, we're all just either zealots or trolls.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Or maybe, just maybe, people are using what they perceive as the best tool for the job. And sometimes this tool is open source, sometimes it's a proprietary blob. Nah, couldn't possibly be, we're all just either zealots or trolls.
            Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. Less worried about the politics, more concerned about the technology.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              This. But isn't the option to turn it off mandatory? In which case, there should be legal action...
              We should contact European Commission which is able to make such option mandatory.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                Or maybe, just maybe, people are using what they perceive as the best tool for the job. And sometimes this tool is open source, sometimes it's a proprietary blob. Nah, couldn't possibly be, we're all just either zealots or trolls.
                The thing is with proprietary software that it is designed to do a job and as well as it may be designed to do that job it can only ever do that job. There is no room for imaginative different uses by simple modification

                your comment puts you in the consumer camp - but i suppose thats just how you (t)roll

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. Less worried about the politics, more concerned about the technology.
                  technology that you use as you wish or technology that you use how <insert name of unhelpful corporate giant> say you should use it

                  really if the licence means nothing to you go use apple stuff

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                    technology that you use as you wish or technology that you use how <insert name of unhelpful corporate giant> say you should use it
                    I use technology that works for me. If <insert name of unhelpful corporate giant> or <insert name of unhelpful individual foss contributer> doesn't create technology that is useful to me then I don't use it simple as that.

                    really if the licence means nothing to you go use apple stuff
                    I do use Apple stuff when it does the job that I need it to do, same with my using of linux, windows, bsd. If it doesn't work to my needs I don't use that technology for that task. Simple as that. I really could care less about the politics of any of them.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      I use technology that works for me. If <insert name of unhelpful corporate giant> or <insert name of unhelpful individual foss contributer> doesn't create technology that is useful to me then I don't use it simple as that.



                      I do use Apple stuff when it does the job that I need it to do, same with my using of linux, windows, bsd. If it doesn't work to my needs I don't use that technology for that task. Simple as that. I really could care less about the politics of any of them.
                      right then so you're a consumer - you have no interest on how it was created and how it works or modification you just use or 'consume' it because you're happy to use a product

                      there is no shame in being a consumer - not everyone has an imagination!

                      just remember - you are using more computing power than sent man to the moon connected to the largest most complex network ever devised and you use it to do what? play cards on facebook? playing peekaboo on call of modern battlefield 4 ? run phoronix benchmarks ?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X