Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    OK so you are really going to believe someone that more then likely had absolutely no reason to doubt an "ex-IBM employee". Guess what being an "ex-IBM employee" means sweet squat. Unless he was an ex board member / executive / legal at the time there is next to zero chance that he would have access to such information. And again any such acquirement would have had to be shown in the financial statements not to mention would have been under ftc scrutiny. Sorry but your "source" was bullshitting and you fell for it.
    Perhaps, however I again find it very doubtful that he'd be lying, and there is some suspect stuff such as Apple going with PPC as opposed to other RISC architectures of the time. Plus it doesn't necessarily have to be buy out in terms of actually buying out Apple as potentially gaining a majority share, the same way that Blizzard took over Sierra and killed them without there being that much in the way of news about it back then.

    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    It's no secret that the inspiration for the Lisa/Mac came from the close relationship Apple had with Xerox, not IBM, who later asked MS to develop their GUI OS, OS/2.
    It was not my intention to imply IBM having Apple develop the GUI, it is however meant to imply the hand of IBM being in the Apple II pie, while Jobs was steering in the other direction.

    Comment


    • #32
      basic

      The dark secret nobody wanted to admit to.,
      Microsoft Basic:
      Vic 20, C64
      Apple
      Tandy
      Atari
      ...

      I think Steve should have focused on IOrgans rather than IGadgets.
      Seriously. Jonathan Ive and Steve Jobs could jive out a better life for us all; at a price.

      I found it funny Apple never admitted to offering premium products.
      Truth is they did, IPOD 8GB 16GB 32GB. Mac Mini.

      Nothings changed.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
        It's not personal. You call a technology innovator a "dictator" and said mankind was better of with him dead. I really makes you a stupid, ignorant, and terrible person. Mankind will be better of with you dead.

        Linux is far from perfect, and useless ideological blindness will ensure that it won't improve. Linux rots from "good enough" disease. Your idiocy is of no help.

        So, I repeat, mankind would probably be better off without you. Linux certainly would.

        However, it is NOT better off without someone who could advance technology like Jobs did.
        So because he convinced some OTHER people to design and make some expensive toys FOR him he's someone who is better than an idealist who believes in freedom in the technology world?

        That's all Apple really is, toys. Completely useless, except to make Jobs rich enough to not have to care about parking in handicapped parking spots illegally. Here's a fun exercise... right now, what would be worse, if all of the linux machines suddenly died or all of the macOS/iOS devices suddenly died? Toys.

        EDIT: As for me, I'll leave the crass consumerism icons to people like you. Leave me to worship the actual researchers doing the dirty work (turns out they're not famous).
        Last edited by Kalessian; 10-07-2011, 01:56 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Kalessian View Post
          Here's a fun exercise... right now, what would be worse, if all of the linux machines suddenly died or all of the macOS/iOS devices suddenly died? Toys.
          This +1

          Although my personal approach along those lines is "How many apple products directly or indirectly effect you personally in the standard day?" and then "How many Linux Systems directly or indirectly effect you personally in the standard day?". to which one will receive bluster about how Apple is a consumer electronics company, as they try to dismiss the comparison.

          And really now, If all the Linux machines were down, their iToys would be rather useless now wouldn't they?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
            sure only a Death Steve Jobs is good one.
            Please refrain from such statements. Neither of us should rejoice over anybody's death.

            I have my grievances with Apple and Steve Jobs, but they did a lot of good stuff too. I am grateful for their contributions to CUPS and xserver. Moreover, they help to promote OpenGL and even initiated OpenCL.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              It was not my intention to imply IBM having Apple develop the GUI, it is however meant to imply the hand of IBM being in the Apple II pie, while Jobs was steering in the other direction.
              Ummm, sorry but Jef Raskin was the one pushing for the Mac development and got the go ahead after being shot down a couple of times. That started in 1979 and it wasn't until 81 that Jobs got involved with the project.

              Comment


              • #37
                I find it hard to believe how a forum for technical people can be so full of simplistic world views. If more people were so susceptible to certain ideas expressed in statements like ``Earth would be better off without Individual X'', we'd all be living under some nice, friendly dictatorship.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Well, the guy who said that is a german and they do have alot of history with dictatorships... Maybe it's their natural predilection.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Well, the guy who said that is a german and they do have alot of history with dictatorships... Maybe it's their natural predilection.
                    Wow... It seems even eulogies on a Linux enthusiasts' forum can't escape Godwin's law...

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Except that I never said anything about nazis. Although it is true that the nazi party was the power behind one of germany many eras of dictatorship.

                      I'll make a new made up law that states that as conversations on the internet progress the likelyhood of someone mentioning a made up law in an attempt to discredit someone goes up exponentially. I think I'll call it "Duby's Law"

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                        Except that I never said anything about nazis. Although it is true that the nazi party was the power behind one of germany many eras of dictatorship.

                        I'll make a new made up law that states that as conversations on the internet progress the likelyhood of someone mentioning a made up law in an attempt to discredit someone goes up exponentially. I think I'll call it "Duby's Law"
                        its funny right now we do not have a dictatorship and we do have a woman leader..
                        but all people around the world talk about the German dictators.

                        one funny fact about that is: the EU/Germany try to get 100% green energy
                        the last one who tried that was Hitler with the synthetic fuel made from wood.
                        "The Role of Synthetic Fuel In World War II Germany"
                        http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...aug/becker.htm
                        and the funny part is: some people believe modern Europe can not do the same because they think the Nazis back in 1933 do have magic superman power.

                        so please stop talk about Dictatorship
                        its not about Dictatorship even in a Democracy its all about : 'The humans wants to be deceived.'

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Del_ View Post
                          Please refrain from such statements.
                          sure i do but only on platforms with censorship.

                          and censorship is the only weapon against truth.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                            sure i do but only on platforms with censorship.

                            and censorship is the only weapon against truth.
                            Demagoguery seems to prove itself pretty effective against truth sometimes.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                              its funny right now we do not have a dictatorship and we do have a woman leader..
                              but all people around the world talk about the German dictators.

                              one funny fact about that is: the EU/Germany try to get 100% green energy
                              the last one who tried that was Hitler with the synthetic fuel made from wood.
                              "The Role of Synthetic Fuel In World War II Germany"
                              http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...aug/becker.htm
                              and the funny part is: some people believe modern Europe can not do the same because they think the Nazis back in 1933 do have magic superman power.

                              so please stop talk about Dictatorship
                              its not about Dictatorship even in a Democracy its all about : 'The humans wants to be deceived.'
                              Sure I'll give the nazis credit for their technical prowess. Its a fact that the nazi germans pioneered many of the technologies that we take for granted today. But it doesnt mean that they werent evil. Also you can thank the US for your democracy. People around the world refuse to admit it, but we ARE good at nation building.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                                Except that I never said anything about nazis. Although it is true that the nazi party was the power behind one of germany many eras of dictatorship.

                                I'll make a new made up law that states that as conversations on the internet progress the likelyhood of someone mentioning a made up law in an attempt to discredit someone goes up exponentially. I think I'll call it "Duby's Law"
                                Neither did I say the probability had already reached 1... Only pointing out how many uncalled-for comments started popping up here. Given the reaction though, I guess I've had my last shot and will now do what I should apparently have done from the moment things started heading south: ignore that thread. Have fun.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X