Windows8 "Secure Boot" UEFI 2.3.1 ban Linux and all other Opensource-OS:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    As always, today's news follows yesterday's Dilbert...

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-09-03/
    lol... a life span of a optimist is really short.

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
      This is even bad for Windows users! Windows8 "Secure Boot" could be configured to only boot the OEM version of Windows. Lost your CD? You have to go through whoever built your machine to get a new one. Windows 9 comes out? Well looks like its only supported with the new version of "secure boot" which this model doesn't support. This is really bad for everyone and only good for M$.
      I could just imagine this will be like windows vista was to windows 7. Or windows ME to windows 2000. Or windows 98 to windows 95. M$ Releases their test software first, then the new release (windows 9) will have all the fixes. If you look at it in another way, Sony have been trying to lock people out from installing their own OS to their PS3 for some time. Not to mention certain phone companies...

Originally posted by markd View Post
      I believe this is more a threat to consumer products - especially for Apple users (since Apple tend to lock down things where they can).
      In the server and workstation market linux/bsd/*nix support is often a requirement for paying customers and I bet no vendor wants to upset those
      Which brings me to this. I agree here that it will just create another open source method of breaking such problematic devices. Best to avoid such locked down boards to begin with. What I don't like is that motherboards will sell it as a "feature", when it was perfectly good without it.

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      lol... a life span of a optimist is really short.
      I'm an optimist. I thought that changing my bios on my 4870x2 would improve speed. It's now currently a paperweight.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
        I'm an optimist. I thought that changing my bios on my 4870x2 would improve speed. It's now currently a paperweight.
        you can fix that with blind re-flashing the bios.

i know one he do crash his card and he fix it in blind reflash the bios.

Comment

you can fix that with blind re-flashing the bios.

i know one he do crash his card and he fix it in blind reflash the bios.
          I have two cards installed now. Seems like winflash doesn't like x64, which wasn't a problem before... =S I'll just boot a dos prompt.

Comment

@Bridgman,
            I guess I'll have to buy a MacBook to run Linux then. If anything, that will be the largest kick in the nuts for Microsoft; millions of Linux users buying into Apple PC's.

Optimist, you were saying?

Comment

LOL why should i translate a written text in an Microsoft tropic NOT WORSE?
              Ehh? What does your sentence even mean?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                I guess I'll have to buy a MacBook to run Linux then. If anything, that will be the largest kick in the nuts for Microsoft; millions of Linux users buying into Apple PC's.
                Perhaps some of those 30 million Linux users will buy second-hand computers that would otherwise be wasted away because Windows has become slow over the years. Would also be good for the environment when those computers get re-used. Unlike Win 7, we at Linux do not need 4GB of RAM plus a quad-core for the OS to run smooth. We also do not need 1TB harddisks for a full install.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                  Perhaps some of those 30 million Linux users will buy second-hand computers that would otherwise be wasted away because Windows has become slow over the years. Would also be good for the environment when those computers get re-used. Unlike Win 7, we at Linux do not need 4GB of RAM plus a quad-core for the OS to run smooth. We also do not need 1TB harddisks for a full install.
                  Two problems:
                  1. Those old computer will eventualy break;
                  2. Future old computers will be Windows 8, or newer, ones.

I for one do buy the latest and almost greatest hardware, just so that I can keep my computer working for 6+ years, so yeah; I would like new hardware to run Coreboot.

The funny thing is that not only will there be a demand for Coreboot computers, but also we can get rid of the ACPI shit that happened to break battery life on Linux portables.

It's also not that hard to get all laptops working; almost all have the same chipsets as PC, for which you can swap physical Coreboot BIOSes and then just hack a little on the laptops to get the quirks out. Imagine kernel developpers taking Linux to newer hights by making a real fucking propper OS implementation.

And it's not as if Samsung wouldn't support this with their ARM CPU's, because once there is a mentality for going all the way down (no turtles), the Samsung kernel support might as well cgo there. (Note that Samsung is upstream supporting Linux with their ARM CPU's now and also sponsoring Enlightenment). PS: Samsung makes laptops too!

Comment

ARM based laptops and PC's would be kickass...those chips perform quite well for the low power they use. Bet there'll be speedy new ARM chips to power these machines...with Linux on top!

There should be mobos that are "Designed for Coreboot" from the ground up, then make this crap all a non-issue

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      ARM based laptops and PC's would be kickass...those chips perform quite well for the low power they use. Bet there'll be speedy new ARM chips to power these machines...with Linux on top!
                      I'd definately buy one as soon as ARM gets acceptable speed. With shaders it is predicted to hit Playstation3 kind of graphics in a year or two on phones (!!!!) and with reduced latency and improved battery life, it might as well be the nail in the coffin for consumer x86 use entirely. Also taking into account that Window 8 and the latest Office will run on ARM!

There should be mobos that are "Designed for Coreboot" from the ground up, then make this crap all a non-issue
                      Not to mention the 5% speed increase from not running the BIOS next to the OS, which a lot of people (including the OS kernel itself) doesn't even know's happening.

Boy exciting times! ^^, Year of Linux on the desktop? Year of Linux in the desktop replacers! Wait... that has already happened with Crapdroid!

Comment

Working...
                      X