The first German-Turkish "Döner" Food Restaurant in the US:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Good to know (about the sounds). I had to learn something similar when I was working in Korea. The core phoneme set there had one sound mid-way between our "R" and "L", and another sound mid-way between "B" and "P", so mixing up R/L and B/P when speaking English was very common since for a native speaker R and L are the same sound.
    After a while your brain starts to automatically do an on-the-fly "if hearing that sound as R doesn't make sense then try it with L instead" translation and everything suddenly starts to make sense, like sticking a babelfish in your ear. Of course this is easier with short sentences where the tree of possible interpretations is relatively small.
    its not only a translation problem "german" its a worst language for people like me.
    because:
    ö vs oe
    ä vs ae
    ü vs ue
    ß vs ss vs s vs zs vs sz
    Q vs KU or µ vs q
    C vs K (this only in some kind of words)
    it makes no sense!
    for an high rational logical person like me it makes no sence!

for me the German language is full of bullshit.

but only the modern german.. very old german is better example: Tier
    you speak it tHier and in old german you write Thier
    old german means 1900 and before.
    Old german means original "Arthur Schopenhauer" or Original "Friedrich Nietzsche"
    Schopenhauer write y instead of ie and he writes c instead of k (like the English language in parts the German language use K)
    means more old-scool Latin style.

Schopenhauer cursed the German notation and orthography because of complete brain death.

he Really cursed it !

""Erfüllt mit Indignation über die schändliche Verstümmelung der deutschen Sprache, welche, durch die Hände mehrerer Tausende schlechter Schriftsteller und urtheilsloser Menschen, seit einer Reihe von Jahren, mit eben so viel Eifer wie Unverstand, methodisch und con amore, betrieben wird, sehe ich mich zu folgender Erklärung genöthigt: Meinen Fluch über Jeden, der, bei künftigen Drucken meiner Werke, irgend etwas daran wissentlich ändert, sei es eine Periode, oder auch nur ein Wort, eine Silbe, ein Buchstabe, ein Interpunktionszeichen.""
    Arthur Schopenhauer

"I'm full of pain because the people write bullshit and hurt the german language and many bad and braindeath writers in many years with unwilling and the will to break the language with system because of this i now speak this curse i curse everyone how chance any sentence or a word or silb or a letter or a punctuation mark in my writings."

Comment

Yeah, people love "simplifying" languages :

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/timshenk/codes/meihem.html

Comment

Yeah, people love "simplifying" languages :

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/timshenk/codes/meihem.html
        LOL impressive writings!

very true!... our language is a lie!

and german is even more lie (ßöäü)

Comment

Q you should learn Finnish, everything is pronounced exactly as written :P

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to avoid

i don't think that there is anything in the animal kingdom that is not edible -especially after cooking it

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Q you should learn Finnish, everything is pronounced exactly as written :P
              i read similar from the Turkish language

Comment

I miss döner so much. I lived in Germany (near Bielefeld) for about 12 years. Döner kebab was my favorite fast food. I haven't had a döner for over 10 years now. And Qaridarium goes on and creates this stupid thread that reminded me of the world's best fast food which I can't have.

Screw you, man. You suck

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  I miss döner so much. I lived in Germany (near Bielefeld) for about 12 years. Döner kebab was my favorite fast food. I haven't had a döner for over 10 years now. And Qaridarium goes on and creates this stupid thread that reminded me of the world's best fast food which I can't have.

Screw you, man. You suck
                  Dude, you are from Greece. Why are you complaining? You have Gyros, which is basically the same. And the meat used in Greece is most likely a lot more trustworthy than the industrial meat used in German Döner shops.

Comment

Agreed - it shouldn't be hard to convince a local Gyros vendors to repackage the way you like, even if you have to bring your own sauce for a while.

Heck, you could end up as the Doner Kebab King of Greece with a bit of initiative

Comment

Agreed - it shouldn't be hard to convince a local Gyros vendors to repackage the way you like, even if you have to bring your own sauce for a while.

Heck, you could end up as the Doner Kebab King of Greece with a bit of initiative
                      For the XDC Wiki I was just looking up the address of the only place in Chicago where I've ever found authentic döner kebaps, but when doing this search, just found out this place has now went out of business... Damn. There's a heck of a lot of gyros though around Chicago (but I've never tried any of them to know if they're good or not) and at Oktoberfest I can have my döner.
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Doner is the scheiBe

If you get it at a proper shop, you'll get handmade Turkish bread, which is the most delicious bread in the world. Yummie! Order it with meat, cheese, lettuce, garlic sauce and tomatoes...

*drools*

Comment

"...is the shit" doesn't translate to well to German

Anyways, reading through this thread I think I am just going to get me another Döner next week. I feel sorry for you guys that live somewhere where they have no Döner or ones of bad quality. The ones we have here (3,30€) are totally amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                            Dude, you are from Greece. Why are you complaining? You have Gyros, which is basically the same. And the meat used in Greece is most likely a lot more trustworthy than the industrial meat used in German Döner shops.
                            For the record

Gyros is a doner kebab variation (spin roasted spices etc) that probably came to Greece during the ottoman empire time or after the population exchange in the 20s. The main difference however is that in Greece the meat is usually pork. This was established by law during the late 60s but i am not sure if its still active or if anyone follows it still since you can have gyros made from chicken and in rare cases lamp. Also some shops serve what is also called doner in greece which means the beef/lamp variation (traditional turkish one) but the majority of Gyros in Greece is pork. The meat is also industrial in Greece with few remaining shops making Gyros in house. Also what is different is the fillings and sauces used but this varies even within Greece. In general the northern you are in Greece the better the food.

Comment

Gyros in Greece is either pork meat or chicken. I find the beef + lamb combination of döner far superior to that. Furthermore, Gyros in Greece ain't that good. That seems to be in line with other stuff I tried over the years. For example, I found the worst pizza was in Italy, and the worst kebab in Turkey, lol. No wonder the worst Gyros can be found in Greece.

Comment

... and here's a little something for those who regard authenticity as an interesting idea at best :

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...ro-recipe.html

Comment

Working...
                                X