No announcement yet.

Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows cast by solid objects are actually easier with current rasterisation, mainly because of soft-shadow effects. Ray tracing with soft shadows becomes quite expensive due to the dramatically increased number of rays you have to use.
    Lighting through translucent objects, however, is probably easier with ray tracing. That's not to say that it can't be done with a raster approach, just that it's easier with ray tracing.
    So I'm all for further research with ray tracing (games are not the only application of 3D graphics) and seeing what the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches are.

I'll also point out that giving artists freedom to design and create however they wish can actually create more work for game development. I was reading somewhere about Rage not likely have to have a vibrant modding community for the reason that content creation is such an effort - a full development team is required, you can't just (easily) do it with a few people.

As for procedurally created worlds, go visit www.infinity-universe.com.
    Last edited by mirv; 07-21-2011, 11:26 AM. Reason: url correction

Comment

• This is a litle bit lame (precomputed ambient oclusion and surface displacement), but this is a video from last year made by nVidia. It shows on average 55 million rays/s at 30fps (55/30=1,83million rays/frame) ray tracing at 1600*1200. It's realtime sparce voxel octree ray tracing 2,7GB of voxel data with CUDA.

PS: I wonder what GPU that is...
      Last edited by V!NCENT; 07-30-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        This is a litle bit lame (precomputed ambient oclusion and surface displacement), but this is a video from last year made by nVidia. It shows on average 55 million rays/s at 30fps (55/30=1,83million rays/frame) ray tracing at 1600*1200. It's realtime sparce voxel octree ray tracing 2,7GB of voxel data with CUDA.

PS: I wonder what GPU that is...
        They also must be using some form of heavy filtering to make the image appear smooth, because 55M rays/sec / 24 FPS / (1600*1200) = Approx 1.2 Sample Per Pixel, which would generally result in a fairly large amount of noise.

Although I presume with pre Calculated AO it would be alot quicker.... but isn't the real strength of ray tracing that the shadows/refractions/caustics look great? Having that non dynamic kinda kills the point of ray tracing....

A ray tracer that supports all of the above features with quick rendering would be SmallLuxGPU, (sometimes mentioned here) and this is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ56eHKz6Ts

On simple scenes it takes 2-3 seconds for a generally clear render, but can take longer for large interior scenes (outdoors is very fast)

The Hardware is 1* 5850 and 2* 5870 and a Core i7

I guess if you mix it with faked effects it would be alot faster, but other techniques look good enough for that anyhow.

Comment

• 4 GPU

Note there have been benchmarks run with this software (Based on SLG) that runs on 8* GTX 580's or 4 * 6990's with huge increase in speed:

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxMark_Results

A 5870 gets approx 4000 in score, and 8 580's gets approx 70,000, so it scales across all available devices (via OpenCL) including CPU, but that is almost useless xD

Comment

• flicking to the end of this thread I have to wonder how on earth a convo on the new win 8 gui ended up here

Comment

Working...
            X