Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
    There's a lot of Mac fans in this forum, right? The new mod is one, correct?

I know my opinion probably won't be popular or liked at all but I don't understand the fanfare for Macs. Granted, the laptops/hardware is considered top quality and it should be for what they charge you. But, for all intensive purposes, this stuff is even more proprietary than WINDOWS and this includes the hardware that has Windows 7 installed on.
    Apple is a hardware/software vender, Microsoft (for the most part) is a software company - there businesses are very different - but both are Propreitary! Apple always has preferred to do both, for integration reasons, etc... If you look only from the software side, a big chunk of MacOS X is actually open-source, that being Darwin, the core of MacOSX. it's the stuff on top of Darwin that is proprietary, CoreAudio, Quartz, Carbon, etc. Windows on the other hand is 100% propreitary, and not only that Microsoft likes to try to bastardize standards, or not embrace cross-platform standards and write there own - to get people stuck on MS products. Bill Gates also really was the one who pushed for the proprietary software model... sure windows runs on dell, HP, etc - but these companies ship windows and have contracts with Microsoft, so that really doesn't make windows any less proprietary does it?? Apple also does maintain and contribute a lot of code to the open-source world too... that affects us Linux users. Apple also contributes code here and there to BSD.

A 'mini-HDMI' port?!? WHAT?!? Also, at least there is freeware and shareware for Windows. Apple/Mac or should I say MAC OS has the advantage of Unix but this is ultimately closed source. Where there are ways around using MS Windows at full prices and associated software, there is less options when using the MAC OS. It's just the way it is.
    mini-hdmi, thunderbolt, etc - apple works both sides, and tunes there proudcts how they want. it must be fun to work at apple on the design side...and AFAIK - there is lots of shareware and freeware for Mac too, there just happens to be more for MS ,which is really just common-sense, if you do the math. ie: there are way more windows users.

but another thing to consider, is you can use Macports on a Mac (better known as ports in BSD, and gentoo has portage - which is based on ports)...what this means is that on a Mac, you have access to much of the software you do in Gnu/linux or BSDs...

OSX is cheaper than Windows most times, even often when you get a deal from Microsoft.

as far as less options, one has to consider 'quality over quantity'. if software is really good and there is a demand(4 mac), it'll end up on Mac. there is also a lot of good Mac software than isn't available for Windows too - it can work both ways.

Then Apple overprices everything as MS does but there seems to be less criticism for Apple from Linux users. That makes little sense to me.D
    maybe (some) Linux users prefer Mac because it shares lineage with Gnu/Linux and BSD. ie: it's a *nix system, the OS uses GCC, all of it's development tools come with the MacOS, ie: not having to pay microsoft or third parties lots of money for development tools, etc. MacOS X interface is also much more like a Linux Desktop than Windows is...I know a lot of developers, who own macbooks, Mac is a decent platform to develop on (whether it's for mac, Windows or Linux.. VMware Fusion kicks ass, and you can also dual-boot or whatever too.

Comment

• Hilarious, arguing over hardware price

Originally posted by Panix View Post
      T the laptops/hardware is considered top quality and it should be for what they charge you.
      The fixation on purchase price is borderline psychotic.

How many years do you own a computer? How much time will you spend in front of it? How much are those hours worth? How does that compare to the price of the computer? Why oh why are you so freaked out over such trifles?

I keep my computers for 6+ years, my last desktop system I kept running for 8 years. By the time I am done with them I don't even remember how much they cost and I don't even care. What matters is that I get years of useful life from them.

I look at how much UNPRODUCTIVE time my computers force upon me. When I have to run software upgrades or clean out registry entries or defragment hard disks I count that as unproductive time. When it is all said and done my Windows systems are 10% of my computers and 60% of my unproductive time. If I had my druthers I would just reformat my Windows systems as Linux but I need them for particular applications.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
        2) Being pricey is part of Apple's strategy of marketing to the trendy / yuppie crowd that love to buy expensive things to make them feel good about themselves. Obviously not all Apple consumers live in this mindset, but there is a pretty decent segment of the population which bases its purchases on the idea of being a member of an "elite" group. Hence companies like BMW, Mercedes, Starbucks, etc. charge ridiculous prices for what amounts to, quite frankly, mediocre products. People don't buy those things at those prices because they're getting bang for their buck -- they buy them to show off, essentially..
        that may be your opinion, but certainly not fact. I couldn't afford a BMW (nor would i want one) but i can stretch a little for a Mac.i hate Starbucks, and go to Tim hortons (I'm in Canada) because it is cheaper and better... i also didn't buy Mac to make myself 'feel better' - i bought mine because i prefer MacOS over windows, also for proaudio/graphic design and to run apps not available for Linux, like CS5.. and there are certain things Mac's do better than Windows, firewire is an example. Coreaudio is another example - it's a much more solid audio api than Windows has, and much more refined and stable than Linux standards. ie: we have Alsa, Jackd, PA, etc - it's very fragmented. where as Coreaudio is one solid sound API that does it all. (and before you comment on the differences between linux audio APIs, don't obther, i know the differences, i use linux for proaudio too).

People also buy Mac, because they have style, are elegant and tend to work really well. where as Windows can often be a mess (linux too, especially if you aren't tech-savvy). i know countless people who aren't very tech-savvy who got sick of dealing with Windows problems and bought Mac - they never looked back - most of these people aren't, are not concerned with being in some 'elite' group and aren't rich/wealthy - other than by 3rd world standards...

i think you are either very imaginative, or possibly have some mental illness, which symptoms might include, paranoid delusions.

Comment

• Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
          The fixation on purchase price is borderline psychotic.

How many years do you own a computer? How much time will you spend in front of it? How much are those hours worth? How does that compare to the price of the computer? Why oh why are you so freaked out over such trifles?

I keep my computers for 6+ years, my last desktop system I kept running for 8 years. By the time I am done with them I don't even remember how much they cost and I don't even care. What matters is that I get years of useful life from them.

I look at how much UNPRODUCTIVE time my computers force upon me. When I have to run software upgrades or clean out registry entries or defragment hard disks I count that as unproductive time. When it is all said and done my Windows systems are 10% of my computers and 60% of my unproductive time. If I had my druthers I would just reformat my Windows systems as Linux but I need them for particular applications.

i totally agree. except my windows hassles are 8-12 hours a day, 5 days a week @ work...lol and since i own a Mac, i can use it for the apps not available for Linux, (without the hassles of maintence, viruses, etc in windows, Mac is much more stable and reliable)...
          Last edited by ninez; 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
            that may be your opinion, but certainly not fact. I couldn't afford a BMW (nor would i want one) but i can stretch a little for a Mac.i hate Starbucks, and go to Tim hortons (I'm in Canada) because it is cheaper and better... i also didn't buy Mac to make myself 'feel better' - i bought mine because i prefer MacOS over windows, also for proaudio/graphic design and to run apps not available for Linux, like CS5.. and there are certain things Mac's do better than Windows, firewire is an example. Coreaudio is another example - it's a much more solid audio api than Windows has, and much more refined and stable than Linux standards. ie: we have Alsa, Jackd, PA, etc - it's very fragmented. where as Coreaudio is one solid sound API that does it all. (and before you comment on the differences between linux audio APIs, don't obther, i know the differences, i use linux for proaudio too).

People also buy Mac, because they have style, are elegant and tend to work really well. where as Windows can often be a mess (linux too, especially if you aren't tech-savvy). i know countless people who aren't very tech-savvy who got sick of dealing with Windows problems and bought Mac - they never looked back - most of these people aren't, are not concerned with being in some 'elite' group and aren't rich/wealthy - other than by 3rd world standards...

i think you are either very imaginative, or possibly have some mental illness, which symptoms might include, paranoid delusions.
            Maybe you missed the first half of my second sentence that you quoted. Your example is not typical.

Comment

Maybe you missed the first half of my second sentence that you quoted. Your example is not typical.
              I can read fine, thanks... maybe you you missed my whole second paragraph?!?

i may be an exception, in your mind, but people like myself are VERY common...

but the general/non-techy users i mentioned are no exception, they are the 'average-type users of computers, who don't fall into your perception of why people buy Macs. for these people Apple provides better support than many OEMs, the OS itself tends to be easier to use than Windows, and less problematic...

they didn't buy them for any of the reasons you think...i think my comment still stands, either you have an interesting imagination, or some kind of delusion going on here.+

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                wrong. You only need to hit a website with a malicious flash file.

There are enough remote exploits for mac.

And that guy is not an idiot but a professional Mac-User. Somebody who has to use it every day for a living.

Calling others idiots while posting crap does not make you look any smarter.
                give it up energyman, you are just a troll who likes to spread FUD and a TOTAL IDIOT. you have proven that time and time again, from not knowing what your talking about with various technology specifics, history, and not even knowing how to use google to solve your own problems, with not being able to delete the content of your trash on your 'pretend' Mac, running your 'pretend' version of macoffice..lol.- you even blame Apple, for buggy software that microsoft develops on the Mac platform... FYI i am not saying that to make myself look smarter - it's the conclusion i have come to from reading your comments. so you should seriously shut the @#% up. really.

..sure, he may be a professional mac-user in video-editing land, but that doesn't really mean much. he is also completely wrong about file recovery (i had a drive FAIL, and was able to recover 98% of the data ~ and that was OS9 days, which was worse than today's MacOSX). furthermore, if he is a professional, why the hell isn't he backing up his data, using time machine, or hitting power-off without saving his work?? that's not very smart at all. is it? he also reveals that he is not very Mac-savvy by the fact he says something along the lines ' so then you have to take your computer to the apple store ' ~ referring to losing data and..even funnier he says ' and buy Norton'...ya, okay - complete mac expert eh??? YA RIGHT! - this is another example of how much of an idiot you are - for buying into something this idiotic! he is not a mac expert. period.

he's about as much a Mac Expert as you are..lol

vdieo/film professional does not equal Mac expert anymore than a Photoshop expert equals C programmer.

..and about the flash exploits ~ all you are doing is building a strawman. you are obviously referring to something like 'zero-day exploit' or something like that.. AFAIK shit like that is on any platform, and there are many ways to protect yourself from that. (that one in fact was patched months ago, and reader X has a sandbox too! your info is out of date)...

seriously, you are a total chump!
                Last edited by ninez; 07-09-2011, 01:04 AM.

Comment

wrong. You only need to hit a website with a malicious flash file.
                  Whaaat?
                  You mean that little famous adobe blobby, that is always used to exploit ANY os for priv escalage? Wooo! So Jobbs was right claiming Adobe Flash is BS, no?

Ha, and how about Flashgot site get hacked and distribute malware as usual update? I tell ya, windoze is masterpiece of cheese, and every hardware and software supporter of this expensive, castrated, "exclusive" or "inavoidable" piece of sheese is sheese maker

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  There are enough remote exploits for mac.

And that guy is not an idiot but a professional Mac-User. Somebody who has to use it every day for a living.

Calling others idiots while posting crap does not make you look any smarter.

A professional
                  jackass?
                  I watched exactly this video 2 years ago. I am not a Mac user. But after 1 Minute I already understood he is either a comedian or a troll. And you still didn't see that, my..
                  Ok, the joke with integrated battery and inability to shutdown MAY be realistic (I don't know, I don't own a mac, nor I want it in my proximity, although I've spent LOTS of time with pre osX machines, ie classic 68k), but .. ugh.. mac is a toy. Sure, lol, every household do need a toy. And for getting serious there is Linux.. Or you can toy the linux back with gnome/kde, for that matter. But mac works as its designed to work, it does not catch crappy viruses, it does not break in half, it does not require insane payments for nothing. Sure, its proprietary piece of "cake", but it does not get in the way of IT with its proprietary standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Whaaat?
                    jackass?
                    I watched exactly this video 2 years ago. I am not a Mac user. But after 1 Minute I already understood he is either a comedian or a troll. And you still didn't see that, my.. :
                    jackass..lol, awesome lol.

Ya, i think vexxarr is a troll, because if you read his "Vexxarr Rants" page he seems to be a little more serious there. but regardless of whether he is a troll or comedian (probably a combination of both..lol). Energyman is taking severly outdated, innaccurate information and peddling it as fact...

the closest comparison/analogy i can come up with is that energyman is basically like a "Creationist" trying to debunk "evolution" using non-factual information, strawman's fallacy, quote-mining, etc. he is delutional and a moron. he just wrote something stupid in the EKOPath thread too, as it's come to light that certain parts of EKOPath compiled code, may not be redistributable. funnily, and why i mention this - is the energyman proceeded to say that it's only a problem if you are too cheap to pay for the license, but the license is likely $1750 USD for the compiler suite (that's as much as a Macbook Pro, and he bitches about Mac prices?!?!? lol.

energyman is not only a troll, but extremely dumb to boot..

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
                      he is delutional and a moron.
                      I believe that's "delusional".

Comment

• yeah, outdated...

oops... MacOS locked up, and the only thing I did was adding some pics to a word file

oops... trashcan is filled with many gigabytes of undeletable data

yeah, MacOs is so awesome - piece of shit.

Comment

yeah, outdated...

Oops... Macos locked up, and the only thing i did was adding some pics to a word file

oops... Trashcan is filled with many gigabytes of undeletable data

yeah, macos is so awesome - piece of shit.
                          pebkac....

Comment

oops... MacOS locked up, and the only thing I did was adding some pics to a word file
                            And BTW M$ patched Office for that Office issue.

and as far as the trash can goes:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Just like pretty much any other *nix.

If it doesn't clear then I can guarantee you that you have a faulty harddrive.
                            Last edited by deanjo; 07-09-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I believe that's "delusional".
                              typo. sorry. your obviously understood though.

Comment

yeah, outdated...

oops... trashcan is filled with many gigabytes of undeletable data

yeah, MacOs is so awesome - piece of shit.
                                trashcan is filled with undeletable data, and yet you were already told to use 'secure trash', emergyman and his moronic fallacies... Microsoft designs MacOffice in house, not Apple. they obviously have some Macs kicking around Microsoft ~ and should be testing this stuff, to make sure crap like this doesn't happen .You're beef is with MS, as i already pointed out. this is just another example, of you using out-of-date information to setup a fallacy....furthermore as already pointed out to you, this happens in windows too - i've seen MSOffice take down Windows many times.

why don't you just change your user-name to 'Captain Troll" - because that is what you are, a troll who loves to FUD.
                                Last edited by ninez; 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X