Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attachmate Completes Its Novell Acquisition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Attachmate Completes Its Novell Acquisition

    Phoronix: Attachmate Completes Its Novell Acquisition

    Attachmate Group has announced today that it's completed its acquisition of Novell. There were several interested parties in poaching Novell, but in the end it ended up being procured by Attachmate, as announced last November...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM4NQ

  • #2
    Microsoft and its daughter company Accenture are to cut 7,000 Jobs worldwide and replace them with cheap chinese work force.





    Way to go, microfackts!

    Dear graphical companies! You pay our money to Microsoft and resist on feature parity to other OSes. You support that actions. Thank you AMD! Thank you Nvidia! Much love!

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh boy... openSUSE is so going down the drain :'(

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by devius View Post
        Oh boy... openSUSE is so going down the drain :'(
        Actually it is thriving quite well and has had a good inrush of new adopters lately.

        But hey, it is far more dramatic to make a Henny Penny comment isn't it?

        (we have heard this all before when Novell purchased SuSE, the same "the sky is falling" comments were made then)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          (we have heard this all before when Novell purchased SuSE, the same "the sky is falling" comments were made then)
          But this time it's from the heart!

          Comment


          • #6
            Would you prefer they fire everyone and rely on "the community" for programming?

            Comment


            • #7
              Didn't that "fire and rely on the community"-thing already happen in february 2009?

              (libv said with _extra_ feeling)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                Would you prefer they fire everyone and rely on "the community" for programming?
                They sht on many developer hours, they sht on own RnD, they sht on developer families, they sht on Nokia reputation. What MS did is just cut huge hole - the essence of Nokia, and replace it guts with own - from rice-programmers.

                Common, they stopped just millimeter away to renaming Nokia into Micria. The name is only thats left. How could Nokia TM pull this? I guess, very generous bribe.

                Community is "every possible entity, corporate, governmental or private working towards one goal".

                Community is MUCH BETTER than rice programmers, yes! Rice, not only because they are chinese (means not nation, but origin where prices are low), but means they become rice for code, barely any money.

                I would prefer MS burn in hell.

                See 90x family movie Richie Rich on how to transform without fcking up. Sorry, I mean doing it "microsofts way".

                Next day you wake up in Nokia dev pants and have this situation, you will rethink your original question. I hope it does not happen to you though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  But this time it's from the heart!
                  Ya sure it is, Dec 21/2012 is coming too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Community is "every possible entity, corporate, governmental or private working towards one goal".
                    No it is not, a community is comprised of a group of people that work on individual goals and relies on those individual goals to provide a complete ecosystem.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      OpenSuse-Tumbleweed

                      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Actually it is thriving quite well and has had a good inrush of new adopters lately.

                      But hey, it is far more dramatic to make a Henny Penny comment isn't it?

                      (we have heard this all before when Novell purchased SuSE, the same "the sky is falling" comments were made then)
                      I've been running openSuse with Tumbleweed and been quite happy. Now running the 2.6.38.4 kernel with KDE 4.6.2. Aside from a couple freezes everything's working fine.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by LenS View Post
                        I've been running openSuse with Tumbleweed and been quite happy. Now running the 2.6.38.4 kernel with KDE 4.6.2. Aside from a couple freezes everything's working fine.
                        Been a long long long time member of SuSE/openSUSE as well, that's why I find all these "the world is ending" type comments amusing having seen them again and again over the years.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Technically, Nokia could still do a 180 the second the contract ends (3 years?), and this acceptance-of-the-bribe would just have been a decoy while getting a full lineup of meego phones developed and ready.

                          Ah, who am I kidding.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not to kick openSuSE lovers in the jewels, but what makes openSuSE so much different/better than Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora?

                            SuSE was my first distro, but that's the only reason I've ever used it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                              Not to kick openSuSE lovers in the jewels, but what makes openSuSE so much different/better than Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora?

                              SuSE was my first distro, but that's the only reason I've ever used it.
                              Well, during the radeonhd timeframe (oktober 2008?), i was told that some bug we were seeing, which ATI wasn't, was opensuse specific, and ATI wasn't very helpful on providing details or even on installing a single opensuse quickly. So after a lot of back and forth I went and installed several versions of the three named other distributions on the same test machine.

                              They all compared rather badly to an opensuse when just wanting to go from an install CD to a working system, with a bit of partitioning in between. With Debian (my personal favourite, even over suse), i got the bare console that i wanted, lots of apt-getting needed to be able to build radeonhd. With ubuntu, i felt treated like some grandmother, and didn't get the same out of the box usability of standard opensuse, but also lacked the configurability of a bare-metal debian. With fedora, another distribution supposedly aimed at the desktop, i felt all very 1999, without grandmothering, but also without the immediate usability.

                              The bug turned out to be a pci-express thing of course, but it did show me that maybe opensuse wasn't all that bad compared to the others.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X