• google is killing MPEG LA by droping h264:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/htm...in-chrome.html

yayyyyyy YES YES YES YES Death to all MPEG LA members like APPLE-

I don't like it mery much, unless...

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/htm...in-chrome.html

yayyyyyy YES YES YES YES Death to all MPEG LA members like APPLE-
    Oh no!

Now that Chrome has been my browser of choice because of full HTML5 support on Linux, they're doing like Mozilla and entering into the "hacker culture" of using only FOSS software...

Now, there's a question that will need to be answered in the near future: And what about HTML5 support on Youtube? Are they also going to convert their HTML5 "H264 baseline" videos into WebM format? If so, I'll accept the changes and I think is a great step from a major internet company to implement open solutions. Else, I think this will be a serious regression for some Chrome users (like me), and I'll consider to stop using Chrome (I think programs also need to be functional, not just comply to philosophies).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
      Now, there's a question that will need to be answered in the near future: And what about HTML5 support on Youtube? Are they also going to convert their HTML5 "H264 baseline" videos into WebM format? If so, I'll accept the changes and I think is a great step from a major internet company to implement open solutions. Else, I think this will be a serious regression for some Chrome users (like me), and I'll consider to stop using Chrome (I think programs also need to be functional, not just comply to philosophies).

Cheers
      I think this is the plan, namely moving things over. Else they wouldn't have done the purchase of On2 for VP8/WebM in the first place, only to FOSS pretty much all of it that mattered.

Comment

I think programs also need to be functional, not just comply to philosophies.
        I think the "philosophy" involved here isn't about open-source, but is rather more like "we're not going to pay these license fees for the sake of a product that we give away for free, especially when doing so helps entrench the necessity for said license".

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
          I think the "philosophy" involved here isn't about open-source, but is rather more like "we're not going to pay these license fees for the sake of a product that we give away for free, especially when doing so helps entrench the necessity for said license".
          Not to mention that they already have a h264 solution with them pulling along flash. Why waste resources on a duplicated effort?

Comment

Oh no!

Now that Chrome has been my browser of choice because of full HTML5 support on Linux, they're doing like Mozilla and entering into the "hacker culture" of using only FOSS software...

Cheers
            they allready do have convert all videos into webm.
            all new videos are only webm

i think they drop h264 support in 3-4 mondh..

Comment

"google is killing MPEG LA"

I don't think MPEG LA is in any danger because of Google

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                "google is killing MPEG LA"

I don't think MPEG LA is in any danger because of Google
                because why? no one care about blueray the modern human only consumes on the internet.

means YES GOOGLE KILL MPEG LA!

Comment

because why? no one care about blueray the modern human only consumes on the internet.

means YES GOOGLE KILL MPEG LA!
                  Do you know what format is used by TV stations?

And why does no one care about Blu-Ray and DVD? Movies make almost as much money from them as in theaters.

Comment

Do you know what format is used by TV stations?
                    how cares? all statistic shows internet kills the TV over a long therm of period.

And why does no one care about Blu-Ray and DVD? Movies make almost as much money from them as in theaters.
                    i talk about the future and you talk about the past

Comment

how cares? all statistic shows internet kills the TV over a long therm of period.
                      Yes, and IPTV is also MPEG based, in case you didn't know.

i talk about the future and you talk about the past
                      Yes, IPTV, which is MPEG based.

Comment

Yes, and IPTV is also MPEG based, in case you didn't know.

Yes, IPTV, which is MPEG based.
                        and you really really think this is a fakt for all time?

i don't think so.

Comment

i don't think so.
                          The content creators (I'm talking about the movie and tv studios) want DRM so good luck with changing their minds.

Comment

Not just the content creators, but also IPTV providers which want a high performance codec with very few visual quality losses...

ATM, VP8 doesn't have hardware decoders that support it, so, without using a high-end CPU (for instance, if I play a WebM/VP8 full HD video (1080p) on Youtube, my core2duo CPU goes to above 50% (which is about 100% CPU in a single-threaded app) and videos stutter quite a lot) you're out of luck...

Furthermore, its quality is no better than H264 baseline, whereas in IPTV video we prefer to use H264 because of its portability and hardware compatibility.

Its not a duplication of resources this google's decision, its what we can call hipocrisy, by allowing third-party plugins to live more time and giving us more bugs and security exploits... :bad:

Cheers

Comment

i don't think so.
                              Oh yes, I do think so. Because millions and millions of people have MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 decoders embedded in their TVs. Also, the companies themselves invest in MPEG and work closely with them. If you think corporate will suggest switching to WebM or Theora for broadcasting and IPTV then, well, maybe those alien spaceships reported by that Russian paper are coming to Earth after all :P

Comment

Working...
                              X