Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirk Meyer resigns from AMD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
    fusion is a flop ? its one of the best sucess storys this year,
    It is a little early to say it is a "success" yet. Give it a year at least before making such claims as product is barely hitting the shelf.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      It is a little early to say it is a "success" yet. Give it a year at least before making such claims as product is barely hitting the shelf.
      Financially, yes time will tell.
      Technically it seems to be doing just fine, with raving reviews. The power usage is certainly a big plus, looking forward to something else than intel-based notebooks from OEM selling Linux systems.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
        Financially, yes time will tell.
        Technically it seems to be doing just fine, with raving reviews. The power usage is certainly a big plus, looking forward to something else than intel-based notebooks from OEM selling Linux systems.
        . . . until reading the real-life benchmarks of actual products that have been trickling out the past few weeks and you'll see power usage figures in the 45W idle-60W active areas. Pretty much even with Atom in that department. Also the performance really only stands out from Atom/ION in the 3d performance arena. It's not the Atom killer that AMD was hyping it to be, though it is a slightly better product overall.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
          . . . until reading the real-life benchmarks of actual products that have been trickling out the past few weeks and you'll see power usage figures in the 45W idle-60W active areas.
          What kind of system is that? My dual-core Ion HTPC takes about 24W from the wall when playing back HD video, and my dual-core Atom server takes about 50W under full load with two >1TB hard drives... even with Intel's crappy power-sucking chipset that needs a bigger heatsink than the CPU.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
            Financially, yes time will tell.
            Technically it seems to be doing just fine, with raving reviews. The power usage is certainly a big plus, looking forward to something else than intel-based notebooks from OEM selling Linux systems.
            "Technically" the current fusions are old tech for the most part. While they offer a tempting alternative to a Atom setup, the CPU is still hanging onto a 8 year old base architecture that has a hard time trying to keep pace with even an old Core 2. This isn't even the first time a x86 cpu manufacturer put graphics onboard with the cpu (Cyrix did it over a decade ago). Despite there being a pretty good selection of Fusion systems out there the feedback that I have been getting is that the atom based netbooks are still dominating in sales despite being equivalent price.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              "Technically" the current fusions are old tech for the most part. While they offer a tempting alternative to a Atom setup, the CPU is still hanging onto a 8 year old base architecture that has a hard time trying to keep pace with even an old Core 2. This isn't even the first time a x86 cpu manufacturer put graphics onboard with the cpu (Cyrix did it over a decade ago). Despite there being a pretty good selection of Fusion systems out there the feedback that I have been getting is that the atom based netbooks are still dominating in sales despite being equivalent price.
              sure but what is your problem with an old cpu architectur?

              this only means you pay less for that stuff.

              if i compare atom vs fusion i buy a fusion one

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                sure but what is your problem with an old cpu architectur?

                this only means you pay less for that stuff.

                if i compare atom vs fusion i buy a fusion one
                I wouldn't, at least for linux uses until there is some hardware decode acceleration, otherwise I'm better off with an Ion solution or a cheap cpu and discreet nvidia card.

                Comment

                Working...
                X