Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rant: Asus has the worst support by far in NA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I assume your talking about the ATK0110 chip. This has actually been documented but unfortunately only the sensors part of it has been utilized in linux. I know the lmsensors guys got the docs a few years back but like most of those "windows only" features it's not so much that they can't get documentation but more a case that someone has to be motivated enough to make it worthwhile to develop for that feature.
    That's not correct. There's no public documentation for ATK0110, the monitoring part has been reversed engineered disassembling the ACPI code. Oh, and the ATK0110 interface is actually two different interfaces (I call them "old" and "new" for lack of a better understanding); it seems as the ACPI code is created by copy&paste from different models since you you often find both of interfaces in the DSDT and one of them is broken (recently I got a report of a "Sabertooth X58" where both of them were moderately broken...).
    I have a fairly good idea on how the control part works, but I don't dare to enable it because my understanding of the interface is far from complete and I don't want to risk damaging the board.
    I was experimenting with Q-FAN settings, which should be pretty safe, but then the board died (first the LAN port, then the replacement started exhibiting frequent crashes with any RAM setting... still waiting for the RMA).

Luca - the maintainer of asus_atk0110

Comment

Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
      That's not correct. There's no public documentation for ATK0110, the monitoring part has been reversed engineered disassembling the ACPI code. Oh, and the ATK0110 interface is actually two different interfaces (I call them "old" and "new" for lack of a better understanding); it seems as the ACPI code is created by copy&paste from different models since you you often find both of interfaces in the DSDT and one of them is broken (recently I got a report of a "Sabertooth X58" where both of them were moderately broken...).
      I have a fairly good idea on how the control part works, but I don't dare to enable it because my understanding of the interface is far from complete and I don't want to risk damaging the board.
      I was experimenting with Q-FAN settings, which should be pretty safe, but then the board died (first the LAN port, then the replacement started exhibiting frequent crashes with any RAM setting... still waiting for the RMA).

Luca - the maintainer of asus_atk0110
      Hmmmm, would have to check back through a few years (Mid 2007 IIRC) of emails but I remember that Asus engineering claimed they sent the documentation to you but I will have to take your word that you never got it.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Hmmmm, would have to check back through a few years (Mid 2007 IIRC) of emails but I remember that Asus engineering claimed they sent the documentation to you but I will have to take your word that you never got it.
        It would be great if you could get that mail; I've attempted contact via Novell, without success...
        I even asked the tech support, I'm not sure they understood the question though :P

<rant>I'm offering to develop and support a driver for their board for free... they should be more than happy to supply the docs... I doubt there's much IP in that crap </rant>

Comment

It would be great if you could get that mail; I've attempted contact via Novell, without success...
          I even asked the tech support, I'm not sure they understood the question though :P

<rant>I'm offering to develop and support a driver for their board for free... they should be more than happy to supply the docs... I doubt there's much IP in that crap </rant>
          I'll look to see if I still have it somewhere in my personal accounts. If it was from my old @apple.com email though you could be out of luck. Michael says he has some contacts with them, you might want to drop him a note too.

Comment

iDiots

I don't believe hardware vendors are doing all this stuff because they're trying to protect their precious know-how - considering Dean's experience it's much more likely that most of them are just a bunch of stupid morons who don't have a clue of what they're doing let alone how to do it right.

Comment

It's problems like this that makes me hope that coreboot will take of. But it doesn't seem like any motherboard companies sees the benefits with open source

Comment

my take

I think the problem with asus is that they never try to provide good reference implementations.

They try to reinvent the wheel with specially marketable buzzwords ... then don't have the resources to provide support for this reinvented wheel across all platforms.

I purchased an asus vid card, but can't access the fan speeds on it because of this.
                Also my asus motherboard has the same issues as the original poster's board, perhaps because they didn't bother implementing the acpi tables fully and instead want you to run windows desktop software to adjust everything ....

Comment

Yeah, I had a pretty bad chat with an Asus "tech" myself, though not that bad. I was trying to figure out how to convince the boot manager on a UEFI-based board to boot an EFI executable (i.e. the primary job of a UEFI firmware). Of course, Asus doesn't actually bother to document their stupid boot manager anywhere. He apparently thought I was trying to flash a firmware from a different board/vendor and would not let go of this notion no matter how carefully I tried to explain the actual situation.

Comment

LOL @ that log, especially at "Sonny Brown" (as if that's his real name).
                    My last Asus board, an M3A-something, had trouble with multiple SATA disks (forget hotplugging) no matter what bios settings I used. It also put extra voltage in the CPU by default, which kind of burned my CPU since I had a passively-cooled setup that handled the default voltage (I take some blame for that, but still...). I can't stand it when people say, "I'll only buy Asus!" Maybe their higher end boards have better engineers, but their mid-range and low-end stuff is no reason for blind brand loyalty.

Personally, I like good mid-range boards without frills. Epox was my choice for a while, and then I tried some different brands as they went out of business(Asus, MSI). I've been a happy Biostar T-series user now for my last 4 mobos. I've never needed tech support and I hope I never will.

Comment

With the latest Gigabyte news and cynicism over Asus' support, I am wondering who's left.

I was looking at Asrock and MSI for my next mobo purchase for a 1155 system so I hope either one of those is better.

Comment

Working...
                      X