Upset that my school is now a "success story" for migration to Windows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by movieman View Post
    Yet there's a far larger jump from XP to Windows 7 than from XP to Gnome, and from the last version of Office to the latest version of Office than to Open Office. So by your argument, people who've been using home computers for the last decade would be better off with Linux.
    No, I don't think that's true. The changes in Windows are easy to figure out, since there's a lot of hand-holding. Dialogs always tell you things in a manner that assume you don't know anything.

And anyway, the changes from XP to 7 are mostly troublesome with administrative tasks. We're talking about users here who don't even have access to the windows control panel. From that perspective, XP and 7 are virtually the same thing, especially since lab computers have desktop effects/themes usually disabled.

Also, it's much easier to go from old Office to new Office than go from old Office to OpenOffice.

IMO, for Linux to succeed, it has to give people something they want but currently don't have. I can't think of what that could be currently. Furthermore, the "fix it yourself and stop complaining; patches welcome" attitude of Linux is not useful for getting more users. According to many projects, that's fine; they don't want those users. Well, then stop posting about people using Windows instead of Linux if you don't care. From that point of view, all is currently fine and as it should be. What the hell are you complaining about?

Comment

I too am enrolled at a school that likes to force the One Microsoft Way upon its students. At least that is true in my department (CompE/EE). Some of the classes are OS agnostic, but for others, we are required to use a M$ OS. This is obviously an inconvenience for many in the student body as walking around campus will show you that several students get their computers from a certain fruit company which sells its wares in the campus bookstore.

As far as FGLRX goes, I am a Ubuntu user, and every time a kernel gets updated, you just have to reinstall the driver. It's not terribly difficult, just inconvenient. Even a former Windows gamer like myself can handle such a task.

Interestingly as far as gaming goes, there is one guy who frequently plays HoN in the uni computer labs and he uses the Linux boxes for it. Go figure

Also Capt Obvious told me that anybody who says that old M$ Office (XP, 2003) is more similar to new M$ Office (2007, 2010) than Open Office is an Obvious Troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince DiStasi
        As opposed to the Linux cluster, where I have to download packages from all over the place to make it work [...]
        Yeah, if only Linux distributions integrated some kind of package management...

As for that fglrx thing... I don't know why the big argument. If it works, good for you. If for some reason it doesn't work, use the open source drivers. The driver doesn't matter unless you're playing 3D games, in which case you're probably better off on Windows anyway. Seriously, people are talking about drivers as if it was some kind of expert area that nobody can touch. I've used the 3 different driver families for my RadeonHD, all worked on the first try and I've never had any problem that I couldn't fix by downgrading to the last good version.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          No, I don't think that's true. The changes in Windows are easy to figure out, since there's a lot of hand-holding.
          That's news to me: I had a hard time finding anything when using Windows 7.

We're talking about users here who don't even have access to the windows control panel.
          Then they'll be happy with Gnome, since it's using the same basic interface as every major GUI of the last decade.

Also, it's much easier to go from old Office to new Office than go from old Office to OpenOffice.
          So you think that a completely different interface is easier for people to use than what is basically a copy of the older Office interface?

Seriously, if you're going to make these kind of claims then there's really no point in this discussion; nothing is going to convince you that Windows is not the One True Operating System. I've had to help friends who've switched from XP to Widows 7 and it ain't pretty.

Comment

Well, looks about right to me. Having your box break after every Ubuntu kernel security update (happens every time) because fglrx won't work anymore is not exactly user-friendly. And you need some geek skills to recover from that.
            There's a simple solution - don't use fglrx, but Open Source drivers. Using Linux you don't have to care about viruses and all of such mess.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              There's a simple solution - don't use fglrx, but Open Source drivers. Using Linux you don't have to care about viruses and all of such mess.
              $ wine masseffect2.exe
              [snip error messages]

Yep, open source driver. Never worked better.

Comment

Sounds to me like this DiStasi guy mailed in his MCSE exam.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
                  That's news to me: I had a hard time finding anything when using Windows 7.
                  I didn't. Everything was where I expected it to be. People I know also didn't have real difficulties. Everything is explained in the dialogs in a way everyone understands and only very little help from me was needed.

Then they'll be happy with Gnome, since it's using the same basic interface as every major GUI of the last decade.
                  So does Windows. Again, nothing here offered by Gnome that Windows users don't already have.

So you think that a completely different interface is easier for people to use than what is basically a copy of the older Office interface?
                  Yes, since it's easier to use. And besides, you assume that people jump to the latest MS Office instead of keeping their current one. And if they don't, and really prefer OpenOffice, I must inform you that OpenOffice works in Windows just fine. Why switch to Linux for OpenOffice if you can have it in Windows too? There's no reason to.

Seriously, if you're going to make these kind of claims then there's really no point in this discussion; nothing is going to convince you that Windows is not the One True Operating System. I've had to help friends who've switched from XP to Widows 7 and it ain't pretty.
                  I helped people go to W7 too. Also tried to make some of them use Linux (Ubuntu and OpenSUSE.) They kept Windows and were seeking help removing the Linux partition and reclaim the disk space. About 95% of all people I helped didn't like Linux and preferred Windows 7. The only thing they liked about Linux were the wobbly windows. Everything else they found pretty lame.

Comment

$ wine masseffect2.exe
                    [snip error messages]

Mass Effect 2 on a R300-R500 on Wine? Yeah, right.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      Mass Effect 2 on a R300-R500 on Wine? Yeah, right.
                      Yeah right, people with HD4000 or HD5000 boards don't exist. Everyone has R300-R500 cards.

What on earth was your point with that reply?

Comment

$ wine masseffect2.exe
                        [snip error messages]

I thought we're talking about some students not about hardcore gamers. :P

Comment

Until this stuff is fixed in Linux, Windows *is* the better OS for the computer illiterate. Instead of complaining about people preferring Windows, Linux distros should get their act together.
                          This is just bull:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Education/UbuntuSchools

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                            I can imagine the list of schools using Windows is about a thousand times bigger :P

Comment

I can imagine the list of schools using Windows is about a thousand times bigger :P
                              Yep it is. I know that a few years ago, late 90's early 2000's the education department where I am, signed a contract with MS. This allowed schools to purchase MS software (any MS software) for $10. All they had to do was use MS products exclusively (as in operating systems; server and client)

Comment

An end user if they are restricted from admin usage really shouldn't care what OS they are using as long as they can use the programs they are required to use. My mother the technophobe uses Linux at home. She can send her e-mails, write her whatever it is she writes, download images from her camera. She's even found her Solitaire games. The only thing she can't seem to do is click the little X button to close programs down She knows KDE looks different to the WinXP at work, but she doesn't care.

As for the administrator, I would think it would be less expensive to hire someone who knew the current software being deployed than to replace it all to a different platform

Comment

Working...
                                X