• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Linux losing popularity?!
    Not with me!

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Is Linux losing popularity?!
      Lol, dude, do know what happened way back in the day when Red Hat was on the stock market? The entire financial world thought that Linux was the next Windows and the stocks literaly skyrocketed. It was going crazy.

It happened before. But Linux is like this vampire that you can't kill but only sedate (patents, yay) for a while. It isn't going away and it is far from dying, that you can bet your ass on.

Now you'll notice something similar happened with Ubuntu. Something about history and repeating or something. Well anyway I guess that's what happened.

Now there is Windows 7 and no more market depression and so everything is back to normal again. You'll even see the Apple craze fading away with those tiny worms and iPhone4 connection errors and people are starting to see Apple aint so perfect either.

So the marketing hype is gone, but Linux isn't, never was and never will. Linux is now the epic center of FLOSS colaboration of all huge companies all around the globe and so nothing bad is happening.

Just remember Linux != desktop distro's. It is in you tv, phone, watch, microwave, nuclear missile, vacuumcleaner and everything else that runs on a battery, but it certainly not a pop thing so get over it please :P

Comment

I don't get it...there are forces at work trying to destroy Linux.

But in the end Linux will only be stronger when FOSS brings out newer and better things to replace the closed source nonsense such as Flash

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          I don't get it...there are forces at work trying to destroy Linux.
          You mean SCO? Don't make me laugh

It is a constant race and people are throwing elbows in eachothers faces but this is the very nature of the sport.

If you look at destroying then the only thing you can destroy is Microsoft, Apple. Linux cannot die.

Comment

But, that is w3schools.com which is described at http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/w3schools.com as "Includes collection of web building tutorials.".
            True. I thought it's something like w3stats etc.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              If you look at destroying then the only thing you can destroy is Microsoft, Apple. Linux cannot die.
              Sadly it can. When Linux will be replaced by some proprietary software on PCs, embedded devices, in HPC. Then, we can probably say it died. However, it seems Linux is the most healthy player out there.

Comment

I don't see how a piece of code can go bankrupt, but that might just be me :')

Comment

I dont think Linux is loosing popularity. More and more people are talking about Linux, even computer noobs. Linux is becoming more and more accepted. Linux is here to stay.

Comment

I'm more interested in Linux remaining a stable and viable desktop platform than becoming popular.

As long as there is a fully functioning, Free (!!!) modern desktop and a high-quality Unix-like system underneath, I'm happy.

I don't particularly care if it has 1% or 90% of the "market". And I dislike attempts to make Linux less functioning and less Free just to appeal to people who don't care about Linux in the first place.

The most important questions are : Is it good? Is it free? Is it interoperable?

The last issue is the only one that is related to the market share. Luckily, OSS programs are becoming popular on closed platforms too (such as Firefox and OOo), so interoperability is less of a problem than it used to be.

Comment

I don't care about how trendy it is either, but don't forget that with bigger adoption comes bigger hardware support. The more it is used and the more the OSS paradigm spreads the more hardware vendors will feel the pressure to release drivers for Linux. Or so I want to believe.

Comment

Yes, this is an important factor. BSD is not a worse system than Linux as far as I can tell, but it does not have such a wide driver support as a result of a much smaller install base.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
                          More and more people are talking about Linux, even computer noobs.
                          Word of mouth is the best marketing ever.

-"Virus this, Vista sucks that."
                          "Yeah that's why I hate Windows :')"
                          -"Do you use Apple?"
                          "No Linux"
                          -"Yeah I heared about that. It's pretty good"

^That came from a girl who's a total computer noob. I was like; Niiiiceeee

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                            Word of mouth is the best marketing ever.

-"Virus this, Vista sucks that."
                            "Yeah that's why I hate Windows :')"
                            -"Do you use Apple?"
                            "No Linux"
                            -"Yeah I heared about that. It's pretty good"

^That came from a girl who's a total computer noob. I was like; Niiiiceeee

So, the relevant question then? "Will you marry me?" Or, you were like, what?!

Comment

So, the relevant question then? "Will you marry me?" Or, you were like, what?!

It's nice and computers fascinate me but I don't realy care if chicks are into computers. It's more about the click, character, looks and the 'x-factor', lol.

Will see what comes out of it; I'm not frustrated or anything. It's not like I'm the stereotype geek/nerd in RL

Comment

I've just recently started using Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) at my new job, and I really like it. I think it should be getting more popular, it's easy to use, and even easy to install and dual boot on a Windows computer.

Comment

Working...
                                X