Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS starts to suck severly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ASUS starts to suck severly

    http://itsbetterwithwindows.com/

    Incredibly cheesy flash vid. Why does ASUS do such a thing and goes to bed with MS? I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    http://itsbetterwithwindows.com/

    Incredibly cheesy flash vid. Why does ASUS do such a thing and goes to bed with MS? I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.

    Money incentives, better compatibility, less returns.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Money incentives, better compatibility, less returns.
      Let's not forget that Asus does not need Linux. Linux needs Asus. Like every good company, they place their own well being above the few geeks using Linux. Linux has to give companies an incentive to support it, NOT the other way around. Asus is doing just fine. Linux isn't.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Let's not forget that Asus does not need Linux. Linux needs Asus. Like every good company, they place their own well being above the few geeks using Linux. Linux has to give companies an incentive to support it, NOT the other way around. Asus is doing just fine. Linux isn't.
        Yup cater to your target audience. You don't dump millions of dollars into marketing and R&D, for ~1-2% of the marketshare when you can market to 90+% of the market. Doing otherwise is called financial suicide.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.
          Whose wallet do you they think they care about? Your 1 wallet or the other 90+ people's wallet that in a group of 100.

          Comment


          • #6
            Microsoft sponsors this ridiculous shit all the time. Anyone who actually fallows this is a stupid consumer to begin with. Look at the target audience for example. This wont be beneficial for microsoft at all. Asus is getting free money. I guess they figured everyone was buying windows netbooks anyway. I cant blame them when these netbook manufactures put retarded distributions on them.

            Look at them type on the eeepc in the vid. I could do a better job smashing my face on it. Anyone who knows what a "linux" is would at least have the typing ability of a 3rd grader. This,, for the 2 seconds of typing in the whole video. Netbooks and the eeepc especially are simply not made for anyone over the 3rd grade because any grown person cant use proper hand positioning due to the compact size.

            This vid tells me 1 thing. The eee pc with windows xp.
            For people who dont know how to type.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              http://itsbetterwithwindows.com/

              Incredibly cheesy flash vid. Why does ASUS do such a thing and goes to bed with MS? I think I have to vote with my wallet again and tell ASUS about that.
              This is sad I agree, but to be honest: who is surprised? We already know that Microsoft offers incentives to OEMs. This is just a more in-your-face example of that.

              On a brighter note, I think it's amazing that microsoft has felt this site was even necessary. I mean, considering linux has an infinitesimal marketing clout compared to microsoft (have you ever seen a Xandros ad?), to have them set up a PR campaign just to fight linux means that someone at redmond sees a threat. And that's a pretty amazing achievement in the face of the microsoft monopoly.

              Comment


              • #8
                The chick is hot thought.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  The chick is hot thought.
                  You can tell what she's thinking?!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You'd think that Asus's decision to ever use Linux in the first place was a calculated one. Probably they did focus groups and the people not willing to buy a linux netbook because it's unfamiliar etc were outweighed by all the people who were much more likely to buy a linux netbook simple because it would be cheaper.

                    So somebody just needs to make the argument to Asus that findings like that (findings that have an impact on Asus's bottom line) are not to be thrown out the window just because the CEO played a round of golf with some Microsoft guy (or whatever).
                    Last edited by StringCheesian; 06-04-2009, 12:35 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                      You'd think that Asus's decision to ever use Linux in the first place was a calculated one. Probably they did focus groups and the people not willing to buy a linux netbook because it's unfamiliar etc were outweighed by all the people who were much more likely to buy a linux netbook simple because it would be cheaper.

                      So somebody just needs to make the argument to Asus that findings like that (findings that have an impact on Asus's bottom line) are not to be thrown out the window just because the CEO played a round of golf with some Microsoft guy (or whatever).

                      I don't think they really needed a focus group to figure out that most of the world is familiar and comfortable with windows. One of the biggest reasons you saw linux on the first ones is probably more of a case of Asus slapping linux in a hot product to force MS to lower the price of Windows for netbooks. Mission accomplished. If a company can charge $100 more for the same hardware because of a piece of software that they bought for $30 then that's another $70 in their pockets (which probably is close to as much profit they made on the hardware alone).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                        I don't think they really needed a focus group to figure out that most of the world is familiar and comfortable with windows. One of the biggest reasons you saw linux on the first ones is probably more of a case of Asus slapping linux in a hot product to force MS to lower the price of Windows for netbooks. Mission accomplished. If a company can charge $100 more for the same hardware because of a piece of software that they bought for $30 then that's another $70 in their pockets (which probably is close to as much profit they made on the hardware alone).
                        That can't be what Asus is thinking.

                        Employee: I've got a idea, lets flirt with linux to get a better deal from MS!
                        CEO: Flirt how, release some products with linux?
                        Employee: Sure, why not?
                        CEO: Well, shouldn't we at least investigate the potential for losses or for profits? Will these linux products sell?
                        Employee: Naw, it doesn't matter how well the linux products do, we'll be ok. Don't bother investigating.
                        CEO: Ok, I'm sold - lets do it!

                        See how unrealistic that is? Getting a better deal from MS would not have been enough of a reason all by it self to start with Linux in the first place.

                        More likely, Asus projected higher profits (due to greater volume) from a range of OSs (from the cheap to the familiar) and then later MS offered them a deal for dropping linux guaranteeing even higher profits due to paying less for Windows.

                        And all I'm saying is that if we had more info, there would probably be lots of arguments to persuade Asus that such a deal with MS isn't smart. The MS deal is temporary while their previous strategy was long term potential, issues with antitrust law, etc.

                        What's with the us vs them attitude where Asus is ether a one of the good guys or one of the bad guys? Why are you so quick to give up on Asus?
                        Last edited by StringCheesian; 06-04-2009, 05:21 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                          That can't be what Asus is thinking.

                          Employee: I've got a idea, lets flirt with linux to get a better deal from MS!
                          CEO: Flirt how, release some products with linux?
                          Employee: Sure, why not?
                          CEO: Well, shouldn't we at least investigate the potential for losses or for profits? Will these linux products sell?
                          Employee: Naw, it doesn't matter how well the linux products do, we'll be ok. Don't bother investigating.
                          CEO: Ok, I'm sold - lets do it!

                          See how unrealistic that is? Getting a better deal from MS would not have been enough of a reason all by it self to start with Linux in the first place.

                          More likely, Asus projected higher profits (due to greater volume) from a range of OSs (from the cheap to the familiar) and then later MS offered them a deal for dropping linux guaranteeing even higher profits due to paying less for Windows.

                          And all I'm saying is that if we had more info, there would probably be lots of arguments to persuade Asus that such a deal with MS isn't smart. The MS deal is temporary while their previous strategy was long term potential, issues with antitrust law, etc.

                          What's with the us vs them attitude where Asus is ether a one of the good guys or one of the bad guys? Why are you so quick to give up on Asus?

                          It is a very realistic deal, one only has to take a look at how intel was refusing at first to allow the atom to be sold without a intel chipset and then Nvidia announces ION 2 for the nano and all of a sudden wow you can purchase atoms individually. It happens all the time in the IT industry. Same thing happened with classmate PC's. Sometimes it never gets past the sabre rattling bit other times such as with windows in EEE pc it took them to install linux to send a wakeup call to MS to give better, more profitable prices on windows. This scenario also rolled out in OLPC as well.
                          Last edited by deanjo; 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Microsoft is slowly losing ground

                            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                            Yup cater to your target audience. You don't dump millions of dollars into marketing and R&D, for ~1-2% of the marketshare when you can market to 90+% of the market. Doing otherwise is called financial suicide.
                            It has taken the last 3 years for Microsoft to lose about 3-4 % of the market based on numbers captured by Internet website traffic surveys.

                            The last one I saw placed Microsoft at 87.9 % and Linux at 1.02%. Three years ago Microsoft was always 92 to 93+%.

                            Intel like many profit oriented companies flirts with Linux most likely to make Microsoft more competitive.

                            If the rumors are true that Microsoft is OEMing XP at $15 for netbooks instead of the previous $50, the ASUS, Intel, etc strategy worked.

                            The important observation is that Linux is being considered as a serious commercial alternative.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Blue Beard View Post
                              The important observation is that Linux is being considered as a serious commercial alternative.
                              the age old tale that nothing in life is free. proven false.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X