VIA Appoints An Open-Source Liaison

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grege View Post
    If all they do is release to code to their Linux driver, they will shoot themselves in the foot.
    It looks like we're in agreement then; I (mis)read your earlier posts as advocating just open-sourcing the driver code as though it would solve everyone's problems...

Comment

S3 open source drivers! We want them!

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
        I fail to see how users of the BSDs or OpenSolaris (or Plan 9, or AROS, or Haiku...) win under this scenario.
        It becomes possible for them to get OSS driver's too

What's necessary:
        Port DRM
        Port DDX to new DRM
        Port DRI to new DRM

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
          It becomes possible for them to get OSS driver's too

What's necessary:
          Port DRM
          Port DDX to new DRM
          Port DRI to new DRM
          Operating systems don't all implement the same device models and APIs (how do you port DRM to a system without ioctl?), and VIA makes a heck of a lot more than graphics cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            Operating systems don't all implement the same device models and APIs (how do you port DRM to a system without ioctl?), and VIA makes a heck of a lot more than graphics cores.
            I didn't say it becomes easy, just more possible

Comment

Congratulations to them on their move. Shows that while the company has difficulties grasping open-source, they do have business wit (and that is - hire an expert who knows how to do it).

I hope it pays off for them, and the customers.

Comment

There's a big market waiting for Via in Linux. Many Linux users are not interested in "leet" performance monsters to run games, but rather prefer non-expensive, power-saving and silent hardware. Those things are the main focus of VIA, no?

It makes sense for them to fully support Linux.

Comment

I'd say more people on windows are interested in the non-expensive cards than on linux really

Comment

Not really, less people on windows can manage with minimal CPU power and 2D graphics these days.

Vista needs so much more hardware...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                      I'd say more people on windows are interested in the non-expensive cards than on linux really
                      More people on Windows are interested in everything than on Linux

A Linux box where you can safely browse the web, use email, write letters, watch videos, listen to your music and such is a good market. Most people I know who use Linux use it that way. Only few are after 3D and CPU hungry things (x264 for example.)

Comment

Working...
                      X