X Devs Drop NVIDIA Auto-Config Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
    So rather than the distro getting a bug report, the blame goes to X, sorry but, it's not gonna happen
    Yeah really? An end-user will be able to find the X bugtracker?

Sorry dude, but they'll be barely able to find the distro one. Nevermind X.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
      It was before Novell bought it, but openSUSE 11 still shipped an unofficial version of glibc, GCC 4.3, and KDE 4. I think I may have wandered off a tad, but my point was their philosophy about end user appeal at any cost, and that philosophy still exists. Again, nothing wrong with that at all - I was merely saying that if you had to guess which distro would be in favor of such a patch, SUSE would be the most obvious guess.

I agree 100%, and I understood that from the beginning. The point a lot of Linux users don't seem to get is it isn't about including a certain feature/extension/plugin/patch, it's about the responsibility of said feature, and the perception of fault from the end user.
      Which can all be easily avoided with a message saying "Nvidia binary failed, reverting to nv driver, submit bug to Nvidia" People that report bugs to Xorg tend to read the logs before sending them. The less savvy more then likely would post a bug in a forum for their distro before filling out a bugzilla report to xorg.

As far a opensuse being the leader in offering "just work solutions" Mandriva as well has a long history of doing the same as well. Previous versions had mp3, dvddecoder card support, wireless firmware etc. in their releases in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Which can all be easily avoided with a message saying "Nvidia binary failed, reverting to nv driver, submit bug to Nvidia" People that report bugs to Xorg tend to read the logs before sending them. The less savvy more then likely would post a bug in a forum for their distro before filling out a bugzilla report to xorg.
        Nvidia doesn't accept bug reports

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
          Nvidia doesn't accept bug reports
          Bullcrap. go to nvnews.net. Also you can send the bug reports directly to nvidia at linux-bugs@nvidia.com as per their own instructions when the blob comes across a issue as it notes in it's errors when the blob fails.

If the problem persists with the latest distribution kernel, then please contact your distributor and submit a bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com.
          It's also very clearly mentioned on their driver download page.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...173.14.05.html

look at the bottom.
          Last edited by deanjo; 07-22-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X