Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available

Phoronix: DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available

Back on the 4th of February, Kristian Høgsberg began merging his new DRI2 components. This initial DRI2 (Direct Rendering Infrastructure 2) work was made up of the DRI2 module, glxdri2 to GLX, and DRM/Mesa patches...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjQxMQ

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available

Back on the 4th of February, Kristian Høgsberg began merging his new DRI2 components. This initial DRI2 (Direct Rendering Infrastructure 2) work was made up of the DRI2 module, glxdri2 to GLX, and DRM/Mesa patches...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjQxMQ
    Does this mean that compiz will be able to do previews for minimized windows, or is that a software thing?

Comment

AFAIK the most visible change will be that 3D apps will no longer flicker when running under AIGLX since the output will be composited properly rather than fighting with the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        AFAIK the most visible change will be that 3D apps will no longer flicker when running under AIGLX since the output will be composited properly rather than fighting with the screen.
        And 3D apps are properly redirected ie glxgears will spin on the cube instead of being draw above the cube

Comment

i thought for a moment that it was april's fools joke :]

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            i thought for a moment that it was april's fools joke :]
            Nope, but I'm sure there will be one in a couple of hours on Phoronix I bet. I hope it'll be a good joke.

Comment

amarok pulled one good april's fools last year with the source code for amarok 2.0 :]

this one is good as well : http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/0...ering-jackass/

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                Nope, but I'm sure there will be one in a couple of hours on Phoronix I bet. I hope it'll be a good joke.
                Naw... Phoronix Test Suite 0.1 would be out today, but I don't want users to think that or any of its features is just an April Fools joke. So you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to experience the new Linux benchmarking .
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Naw... Phoronix Test Suite 0.1 would be out today, but I don't want users to think that or any of its features is just an April Fools joke. So you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to experience the new Linux benchmarking .
                  Haha, yeah. If thats the goal for no joke, then it would be best to hang low today. It will be nice to finally have some "authentic" benchmarking tools for Linux finally.

Comment

Heh, the "only" things missing now are Gallium3d, OpenGl 3 and glucose AND support for all of them in the ati catalyst driver

Comment

Heh, the "only" things missing now are Gallium3d, OpenGl 3 and glucose AND support for all of them in the ati catalyst driver
                      Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
                      all of them coming today!

Comment

I'd like to try the new DRI2 when it's usable in either radeon or radeonhd or fglrx. But, ubuntu probably won't have DRI2 until at least the next version in October.

Is anyone aware of a howto or wiki on installing it from git?

I've successfully done the git versions of drm and mesa and am using them with radeon on ubuntu 8.04 beta (xorg 1.4) to be able to use EXA. But, I see some dri2 going into xorg 1.5 today, which might mean all xorg has to be from git if I want to try it?

Any idea when fglrx or radeon or radeonhd will start using it?

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                          I'd like to try the new DRI2 when it's usable in either radeon or radeonhd or fglrx. But, ubuntu probably won't have DRI2 until at least the next version in October.

Is anyone aware of a howto or wiki on installing it from git?

I've successfully done the git versions of drm and mesa and am using them with radeon on ubuntu 8.04 beta (xorg 1.4) to be able to use EXA. But, I see some dri2 going into xorg 1.5 today, which might mean all xorg has to be from git if I want to try it?

Any idea when fglrx or radeon or radeonhd will start using it?
                          Question is still open, will this be ported to old ddx stuff (i won't do that) or will this need kernel mode setting as to my opinion you want a new drm module for proper memory management (doing this in current one is painfull a should be avoided from my POV).

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                            all of them coming today!
                            April fools~!

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                              Before the ati catalyst driver those standards support the radeonhd and the radeon driver will be totally complete and 100% stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X