No announcement yet.

DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh nice, I'm looking forward to seeing previews for my minimized windows.

Comment

That's great news! I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        DRI2 Direct Rendering Now Available
        However, to reach this state the DRI interface was broken.

Not sure I get this statement. Does this mean backwards compatibility was broken or that accelerated OpenGL is hosed?

Comment

Originally posted by edged View Post

Not sure I get this statement. Does this mean backwards compatibility was broken or that accelerated OpenGL is hosed?
          This means that interface btw X server & mesa driver have been broken so that X server git new mesa git or that for new DRI2 you need to rebuild Xserver & mesa (also ddx).

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
            This means that interface btw X server & mesa driver have been broken so that X server git new mesa git or that for new DRI2 you need to rebuild Xserver & mesa (also ddx).
            Thanks for the information, but will this break proprietary/commercial drivers - will those need to be updated to be "compatible" with the new X-server? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way, and it's not a restructuring of the entire layout but rather adding of this newer/better pathway design?

Further I have one last question if you would indulge
            Do the supporting libraries/interfaces differ so much that it will require apps to be recompiled/relinked to be able to run accelerated under the new environment?

I ask this, because I went through this already in a 'worst-case scenario' - I was around in the transition between XF86 3.x and 4.x, and frankly it shafted people with low-end boxes, it took ages for drivers to catch-up and all sort of haxies to be able to run commercial binaries (recall q2hack)

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by edged View Post
              Thanks for the information, but will this break proprietary/commercial drivers - will those need to be updated to be "compatible" with the new X-server? Or am I looking at this in the wrong way, and it's not a restructuring of the entire layout but rather adding of this newer/better pathway design?

Further I have one last question if you would indulge
              Do the supporting libraries/interfaces differ so much that it will require apps to be recompiled/relinked to be able to run accelerated under the new environment?

I don't know about closed driver but i think they use their own libgl so their should not be any problem.

App doesn't need to be recompiled, this interface change are btw the mesa driver and the X server, app never see this layer directly, they call into libGL.

Comment

I second that having a good tutorial for less experienced users about how to recompile Xorg from git would be most appreciated. I can redo drm, mesa, ddx just fine, but even following the directions here http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide I could never get a new xorg which worked 100%.

Debian and other distros are also only shipping the stable Xorg branch, 1.4, so this would be nice for many reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Tillin9 View Post
                  I second that having a good tutorial for less experienced users about how to recompile Xorg from git would be most appreciated. I can redo drm, mesa, ddx just fine, but even following the directions here http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ModularDevelopersGuide I could never get a new xorg which worked 100%.

Debian and other distros are also only shipping the stable Xorg branch, 1.4, so this would be nice for many reasons.
                  The easiest instruction are :
                  http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/JhBuildInstructions

If we de have enough time to write better doc we would likely already have newest code in distrib

Comment

Working...
                  X