Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMA-BUF Cross-Device Synchronization Hits Linux 3.17

Phoronix: DMA-BUF Cross-Device Synchronization Hits Linux 3.17

The work that was ongoing for months to provide DMA-BUF cross-device synchronization and fencing is finally landing with the Linux 3.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The big question off course is, does this work with the binary nvidia driver or even just the nouveau one?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
      The big question off course is, does this work with the binary nvidia driver or even just the nouveau one?
      It will be usable by all the drivers using prime. NVIDIA's driver included.

Comment

I hope this feature will be back ported into 3.16 for the next Debian stable.

Comment

Do you have to enable it somehow? Unreal Engine 4 demos still don't look like they are properly synchronized...

Comment

It seems only the api is in.

There's still need for code in all kernel drivers to make use of this api.

Comment

I thought Canonical didn't work with upstream? /s

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                There's still need for code in all kernel drivers to make use of this api.
                Okay, thanks.

I hope they make it into 3.17.

Comment

another lie

Originally posted by fedoob View Post
                  another myth make by the ppl anti canonical, they want and need a good optimus support in ubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by fedoob View Post
                    The irony is that this won't land in Ubuntu 14.10 which will use the 3.16 kernel.

Unless Maarten plans to backport.

This has been a long time coming. I was on my previous laptop with Optimus chatting up Maarten on IRC almost year ago about the tearing and technical challenges that were involved in getting this right.

Any driver that uses PRIME, including radeon, will benefit from this; even my current PowerXpress/Enduro laptop. This isn't only for Nvidia.
                    Last edited by LLStarks; 05 August 2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X