Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.16 Delayed To Let In Non-PCI Graphics Support

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.16 Delayed To Let In Non-PCI Graphics Support

X.Org Server 1.16 has been delayed. However, it's not been delayed like in some of the more notorious past releases due to outstanding bugs, etc, but over letting in a late feature to this latest revision of the X11 server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it looks like xserver i going to stay for a lot of years...

Comment

Well of course it will take a ****load of years, it will take at least 10 years for mir to get into usable state, plus another 5-10 years for software devs to port software, plus of course there will be some devs that will not port to mir and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        And it looks like xserver i going to stay for a lot of years...
        At least transition has been started, xwayland mainlined is one of news for this xserver .

Transition will be very slow of course, no one sane wants to broke all the Desktops now .

Comment

1) X11 works.
          2) It really works.
          3) Really.

And that is not irony. Xorg is stable software with known shortcomings, which do not prevent it from being usable.

Good story is that nowadays most apps use middleware that handle all traffic to the OS graphic stack. So those apps require updated middleware in worst scenario.

Some apps use plain X11, and those will need Xwaylan/Xmir. But both of those work OK, even now.

What we wait for then is stability and general usefulness of Wayland/Mir themselfs.

We can wait. X.org works. No cats/dogs will be harmed if they come with some delay.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            1) X11 works.
            2) It really works.
            3) Really.

And that is not irony. Xorg is stable software with known shortcomings, which do not prevent it from being usable.
            Can I use my hotkeys or lock the screen when a right-click menu is displayed? No.

Can I expect to get a tear-free display regardless of my GPU? No.

Is it still a huge security hole running as root, compromising every single Linux desktop? Yes.

X11 does not work and it is finally going to die the death it deserves. No tears were shed.

Comment

Originally posted by startzz View Post
              Well of course it will take a ****load of years, it will take at least 10 years for mir to get into usable state, plus another 5-10 years for software devs to port software, plus of course there will be some devs that will not port to mir and so on.
              Who cares about Mir when you have Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Can I use my hotkeys or lock the screen when a right-click menu is displayed? No.
                I can use hotkeys just fine regardless of what X does, even if X is not running...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Why you can't i can do that . Which one from ~200 WM is yours

Can I expect to get a tear-free display regardless of my GPU? No.
                  You can't expect that for Wayland either, neither for Windows nor for OS_X .

Is it still a huge security hole running as root, compromising every single Linux desktop? Yes.
                  Intel, Radeon Drivers Become Friendly With Non-Root X Server What is used that is compromised, what is not used that is not used (you fairly knows that ) - no one wants to compromise something that few developers understands, because they are working on it and maybe use it daily . Besides, all software has security issues .

"every single Linux desktop?" that "every single" is not true, Puppy Linux runs "everything" as root .
                  Last edited by dungeon; 08 July 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

ARM vs X86 GNU/Linux benchmarks sometimes please

Michael i would love to read the ARM vs Intel GNU/Linux benchmark battle

As there are basically 4 models, Mediatek, Qualcomm, Nvidia and Samsung ones, the new 64bit multicore CPUs and their GPUs tested vs the intel SoCs at Android (java) + GNU/Linux ( it seems that intel has a x2 performance not using java - art - or 1/2 performace using java - art -)

And of course compare the evolution and actual state of the art with the AMD and Intel x86_64 models and price / performance charts.

Comment

Working...
                    X