Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport Starts Working On Linux

Phoronix: DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport Starts Working On Linux

The work by David Airlie of Red Hat's DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport is beginning to show success...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4MDI

sweet

4k 60Hz here we come

Comment

It's a good start but we need to get more resources behind this to get 4K working on Linux ASAP. My next build will definitely be a 4K system for my photography work and the upcoming Thunderbolt 3 will allow multiple 4K monitors via Thunderbolt ports.

Comment

daisy chainin' FTW! Now you only need one monitor to be close enough to your box.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
          daisy chainin' FTW! Now you only need one monitor to be close enough to your box.
          It's not so much for daisy-chaining as most DP monitors don't have hubs so far as I know. It's really for the 4K displays which currently work by combining two streams - hence the Multi-Stream Transport - from a single DisplayPort socket to create a 4K image. The next gen will use HBR (High-Bit-Rate) which is a full bandwidth DisplayPort signal mode that allows proper 4K images. Right now MST is very buggy on all platforms and doesn't work with a lot of software.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            It's not so much for daisy-chaining as most DP monitors don't have hubs so far as I know. It's really for the 4K displays which currently workby combining two streams - hence the Multi-Stream Transport - from a single DisplayPort socket to create a 4K image. The next gen will use HBR (High-Bit-Rate) which is a full bandwidth DisplayPort signal mode that allows proper 4K images. Right now MST is very buggy on all platforms and doesn't work with a lot of software.
            Well, the NEXT GEN is also going to be lossy. Goodbye pixel perfect data streams.
            I wish they'd at least offered a mode that performed lossless compression.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Well, the NEXT GEN is also going to be lossy. Goodbye pixel perfect data streams.
              I wish they'd at least offered a mode that performed lossless compression.
              The next generation of DP uses a lossless compression method called "Display Stream Compression".

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                The next generation of DP uses a lossless compression method called "Display Stream Compression".

http://www.displayport.org/pr/vesa-m...sion-standard/

Currently adopted by eDP 1.4, but likely to be adopted by the next gen dp standard as you'll need either some compression method, or a new transport medium to handle data rates beyond 50Gb/s, or so.

Comment

not just for 4K monitors, but for the 7 monitors with DP 1.2 MST support, too!

According to this page on DisplayPort.org, there are currently 7 models of monitors that support DP 1.2 MST (click 'DP Displays Multi-Stream' then 'Search'):

Of those, e.g. Dell U2414H is looking good and affordable. I was considering getting a pair of these in the near future.

What are the latest news for DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport support at this moment?

Comment

Working...
                  X