Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport Starts Working On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport Starts Working On Linux

    Phoronix: DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport Starts Working On Linux

    The work by David Airlie of Red Hat's DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport is beginning to show success...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY4MDI

  • #2
    sweet

    4k 60Hz here we come

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a good start but we need to get more resources behind this to get 4K working on Linux ASAP. My next build will definitely be a 4K system for my photography work and the upcoming Thunderbolt 3 will allow multiple 4K monitors via Thunderbolt ports.

      Comment


      • #4
        daisy chainin' FTW! Now you only need one monitor to be close enough to your box.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
          daisy chainin' FTW! Now you only need one monitor to be close enough to your box.
          It's not so much for daisy-chaining as most DP monitors don't have hubs so far as I know. It's really for the 4K displays which currently work by combining two streams - hence the Multi-Stream Transport - from a single DisplayPort socket to create a 4K image. The next gen will use HBR (High-Bit-Rate) which is a full bandwidth DisplayPort signal mode that allows proper 4K images. Right now MST is very buggy on all platforms and doesn't work with a lot of software.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            It's not so much for daisy-chaining as most DP monitors don't have hubs so far as I know. It's really for the 4K displays which currently workby combining two streams - hence the Multi-Stream Transport - from a single DisplayPort socket to create a 4K image. The next gen will use HBR (High-Bit-Rate) which is a full bandwidth DisplayPort signal mode that allows proper 4K images. Right now MST is very buggy on all platforms and doesn't work with a lot of software.
            Well, the NEXT GEN is also going to be lossy. Goodbye pixel perfect data streams.
            I wish they'd at least offered a mode that performed lossless compression.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by liam View Post
              Well, the NEXT GEN is also going to be lossy. Goodbye pixel perfect data streams.
              I wish they'd at least offered a mode that performed lossless compression.
              The next generation of DP uses a lossless compression method called "Display Stream Compression".

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                The next generation of DP uses a lossless compression method called "Display Stream Compression".

                http://www.displayport.org/pr/vesa-m...sion-standard/

                Currently adopted by eDP 1.4, but likely to be adopted by the next gen dp standard as you'll need either some compression method, or a new transport medium to handle data rates beyond 50Gb/s, or so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  not just for 4K monitors, but for the 7 monitors with DP 1.2 MST support, too!

                  According to this page on DisplayPort.org, there are currently 7 models of monitors that support DP 1.2 MST (click 'DP Displays Multi-Stream' then 'Search'):

                  Of those, e.g. Dell U2414H is looking good and affordable. I was considering getting a pair of these in the near future.

                  What are the latest news for DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport support at this moment?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X