Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Major DRM Graphics Update Sent Into Linux 3.13

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Major DRM Graphics Update Sent Into Linux 3.13

    Phoronix: The Major DRM Graphics Update Sent Into Linux 3.13

    While many independent Phoronix articles have been covering the Linux 3.13 kernel changes for the individual DRM graphics drivers, the DRM subsystem pull request in its entirety was submitted yesterday for mainlining...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxNTM

  • #2
    Is PowerXPress support making it into 3.13?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
      Is PowerXPress support making it into 3.13?
      It's already supported with DRI_PRIME. I believe that automatic power up/down is the new feature coming with 3.13, though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        It's already supported with DRI_PRIME. I believe that automatic power up/down is the new feature coming with 3.13, though.
        Is that enough for Nvidia to finally write a 'proper' Optimus driver for linux? As in, the dGPU staying off until needed for a defined application and starting up and powering down when that application is done? While the iGPU runs the desktop.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          It's already supported with DRI_PRIME. I believe that automatic power up/down is the new feature coming with 3.13, though.
          Suported but almost non usefull from now.
          Still only some games working and if we try to use the daily things like compiz, unity, kwin, black screen or crash..

          I love the way dri_prime work but still lacking a lot of funcionality from now.
          From my personal viewpoint, still mor a development curiosity than a pratical use, yet.

          Please, tell me I'm wrong and point me where if I'm... I really want to listen good news here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fritzls View Post
            Suported but almost non usefull from now.
            Still only some games working and if we try to use the daily things like compiz, unity, kwin, black screen or crash..

            I love the way dri_prime work but still lacking a lot of funcionality from now.
            From my personal viewpoint, still mor a development curiosity than a pratical use, yet.

            Please, tell me I'm wrong and point me where if I'm... I really want to listen good news here.
            Probably more luck under Radeon, Nouveau gets handicapped by being entirely reverse engineered.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Is that enough for Nvidia to finally write a 'proper' Optimus driver for linux?
              Nvidia will not be able to provide proper Optimus until they finish their vendor-neutral opengl library.

              There's no such issue with open drivers, because both nouveau and intel use Mesa. But Nvidia has their own opengl stack. Having two stacks working together properly requires that vendor-neutral library.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Probably more luck under Radeon, Nouveau gets handicapped by being entirely reverse engineered.
                Yeap...
                I'm on radeon pack..
                I'm proprietary of a limbo powerexpress card. AMD 6850m
                catalyst call it MUXED not suported and muxless.
                Opensource prime already work for glzinfo, vmware, virtualbox ( with windows inside). But far, far away of a REAL screen on top.
                Cant use with unity or compiz yet.

                ( if someone know how to parse the DROI_PRIME to start compiz/unity, please let me know..

                Nor I try to aqsk about Nouveau.

                From other side I know in maybe near future this cards will work inside open source qand catalyst/amd will forget them.

                ################################################## ##########

                ( if someone know how to parse the DROI_PRIME to start compiz/unity, please let me know..

                ################################################## ##########

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Nvidia will not be able to provide proper Optimus until they finish their vendor-neutral opengl library.

                  There's no such issue with open drivers, because both nouveau and intel use Mesa. But Nvidia has their own opengl stack. Having two stacks working together properly requires that vendor-neutral library.
                  First time I'm hearing about that. Yet another opengl library? Any link to track their progress?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                    First time I'm hearing about that. Yet another opengl library? Any link to track their progress?
                    This is the first time you're hearing about this?? o.O Its been posted on Phoronix quite a few times.

                    The reason you can't have multiple drivers installed right now is because they have to provide libgl.so and they all conflict. So the new plan is to make libgl.so be a sort of launcher that loads the correct vendor-specific library, this way they can all co-exist on the same system. Right now the only way I know of that you could have Optimus working (which requires Intel drivers AND Nvidia drivers, but Nvidia replaces tons of Mesa stuff) is for the Nvidia driver to internally provide the Intel driver.

                    Once the new ABI is defined and set, multiple libgl's can exist together and be loaded as needed

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X