Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The GLX Rewrite Lands For X.Org Server 1.15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Lines of code is a pointless measurement.

    Just because I can write the same thing in a few less lines means nothing unless there is measurement of performance gain.
    Less lines of code means easier to understand code, and that means easier to maintain code. It has nothing to do with performance, although it usually helps indirectly (if it's easier to understand, it will probably be easier to optimize, though it is not always that way, and it might also improve cache efficiency, but again, it is not always the case).

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
      Less lines of code means easier to understand code, and that means easier to maintain code.
      Not necessarily, for my personal projects I'll purposefully write verbose and literal code just so that when i go back and look at it I can follow it in a more "step by step" manner. Sure I could combine steps into single lines with nesting or just using different operators but If I don't look at the code for a year and totally forget what I was thinking, I want to be able to just LOOK at the code (in combo with the comments) and work it all back out.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Not necessarily, for my personal projects I'll purposefully write verbose and literal code just so that when i go back and look at it I can follow it in a more "step by step" manner. Sure I could combine steps into single lines with nesting or just using different operators but If I don't look at the code for a year and totally forget what I was thinking, I want to be able to just LOOK at the code (in combo with the comments) and work it all back out.
        But you don't have 5 different implementations of the same functionality sitting in your code, now do you

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          But you don't have 5 different implementations of the same functionality sitting in your code, now do you
          Not purposefully, no :P

          Comment

          Working...
          X