Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org To Consider Merger With SPI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • X.Org To Consider Merger With SPI

    Phoronix: X.Org To Consider Merger With SPI

    Should the X.Org Foundation go ahead and be merged into a larger organization, they have their eyes on SPI...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2OTE

  • #2
    So, Wayland. Where do Wayland fit in this picture? (Yes, I consider X dead).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
      So, Wayland. Where do Wayland fit in this picture? (Yes, I consider X dead).
      the X.Org Foundation -- which stewards the X.Org Server, Mesa, and Wayland --
      The X.Org Foundation "owns" Wayland (for lack of a better word at 2:40am)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        The X.Org Foundation "owns" Wayland (for lack of a better word at 2:40am)
        No one "owns" Wayland. Its developers will continue working on it even if X.org dies.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wargames View Post
          No one "owns" Wayland. Its developers will continue working on it even if X.org dies.
          I am aware. It was 2:40am, I was tired and not in the mindset of searching through a mental dictionary.

          I meant that the X.Org Foundation currently hosts the main development team for Wayland (and it's people from X.Org that invented it).
          Still haven't slept... I should get on that...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            I meant that the X.Org Foundation currently hosts the main development team for Wayland (and it's people from X.Org that invented it).
            The lead developers of Wayland work for Intel (including its creator), not X.org foundation. I don't know what you mean with hosting here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Teho View Post
              The lead developers of Wayland work for Intel (including its creator), not X.org foundation. I don't know what you mean with hosting here.
              Then I am completely wrong on all regards and I regress from this conversation~

              Comment


              • #8
                My understanding is that the X.org Foundation is the entity legally responsible for Wayland. That's not the same thing as owning the copyright or contributing development effort.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Serge View Post
                  My understanding is that the X.org Foundation is the entity legally responsible for Wayland. That's not the same thing as owning the copyright or contributing development effort.
                  no, there's no 'wayland' outside the codebase to be legally responsible for. and the codebase is the legal responsibility of its collective copyright holders, and to a much lesser extent, whoever hosts it - which is freedesktop.org, a separate LLC.

                  the foundation supports open source graphics development (x.org, wayland, mesa, drm/kms, et al) through things like organising conferences, which it can only do if it can collect sponsorship money to pay for them. additionally, it also owns the x.org domain. that's it. any other kind of responsibility/oversight, including technical (even for x.org, let alone wayland) was a very explicit non-goal from the start.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by daniels View Post
                    no, there's no 'wayland' outside the codebase to be legally responsible for. and the codebase is the legal responsibility of its collective copyright holders, and to a much lesser extent, whoever hosts it - which is freedesktop.org, a separate LLC.

                    the foundation supports open source graphics development (x.org, wayland, mesa, drm/kms, et al) through things like organising conferences, which it can only do if it can collect sponsorship money to pay for them. additionally, it also owns the x.org domain. that's it. any other kind of responsibility/oversight, including technical (even for x.org, let alone wayland) was a very explicit non-goal from the start.
                    Collecting and managing donations and sponsorship money implies legal responsibility.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X