Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    Wayland is clearly lacking...
    Really? Would you be kind enough to elaborate a bit more where exactly wayland is lacking?

You seem to know your stuff, you might want to get in contact with the wayland developers over at #wayland on freenode to work these issues out.

Comment

Has Oracle indicated what they intend to do for Solaris going forward, now that X is kinda being retired and GNOME told them to pound sand?

Comment

Wayland is clearly lacking and their team should be taking a step back and thinking how can they improve their algorithms and routines to better suit supporting more scope as Mir plans.

If Wayland is to be taken seriously, at the time Mir's release, Wayland should be able to do what Mir does, faster, and more. That's competition and innovation. People want that, so lets get away from these Sacred Cows.
        Get back to us when Mir is able to do a tenth of what Wayland can.

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Has Oracle indicated what they intend to do for Solaris going forward, now that X is kinda being retired and GNOME told them to pound sand?
          the non-linux unixes are moribund anyway. it's funny but both Solaris's and bsd's use of gnome 2 is always on my mind. i piratebayed solaris 11 couple of days ago, it's definitively more reliable and sane than RHEL. and let's face the facts, even if the GUIs are rubbish on Unixes like Solaris, it really doesn't matter. They are exclusively used on servers with basically zero desktop marketshare.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
            I think wait and see which way the wind blows is more like it. Probably wise on their part, though. X.org is not Linux, but a diverse set of interests that happens to include Linux. Only Linux is the one threatened by Mir. There are certain community agreed upon things that make an operating system Linux, not just the kernel. Ubuntu is ditching one of those key components and still calling themselves Linux. They are damaging the Linux brand. It's like calling toilet paper klenex because some people use it to blow their noses and it's very similar. At least Google has the decency to not call Android a Linux distrobution.
            If "certain community agreed upon things that make an operating system Linux",where is it? linux is a kernel and what you said are gnu linux distros(without so-called " agreed upon things"). Strictly speaking, android isn't a (gnu) linux distribution(without xorg which you named "certain community agreed upon things") in the first place,it is an open source mobile system based on linux(kernel) and nowadays is patching back its codes to main linux tree. As for mir, that's not damage but competition and innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
              Really? Would you be kind enough to elaborate a bit more where exactly wayland is lacking?
              Why else would Canonical need to remodel a display server.

Comment

Originally posted by j2723 View Post

You seem to know your stuff, you might want to get in contact with the wayland developers over at #wayland on freenode to work these issues out.
                It lacks manpower, motivation and MONEY. What a poor bastard Wayland is!

Comment

You mean like they created Ubuntu Tv?

Comment

I don't know... Could you give us a hint? I'm itching to read your insight on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                      the non-linux unixes are moribund anyway. it's funny but both Solaris's and bsd's use of gnome 2 is always on my mind. i piratebayed solaris 11 couple of days ago, it's definitively more reliable and sane than RHEL. and let's face the facts, even if the GUIs are rubbish on Unixes like Solaris, it really doesn't matter. They are exclusively used on servers with basically zero desktop marketshare.
                      You don't have to Pirate Bay it since you can just download it from Oracle's website.

I figured some people were still using Sun boxes for rendering or 3D modeling crap or whatever. NVIDIA must be making a Solaris driver for somebody out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X