Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The X.Org Foundation Is Undecided About Mir

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The X.Org Foundation Is Undecided About Mir

    Phoronix: The X.Org Foundation Is Undecided About Mir

    The X.Org Foundation hasn't firmly decided on their position of Canonical's Mir Display Server versus Wayland...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMzMDM

  • #2
    Just curious, are the notes posted with a delay on purpose?

    Comment


    • #3
      That snippet of discussion is leaps and bounds more mature that what I've seen here recently. You really can voice concern while without jumping to conclusions and seeing Mir as a nefarious or condescending action!

      Comment


      • #4
        It would be a shame if the open source community take the instance to boycott an open source protect.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Just curious, are the notes posted with a delay on purpose?
          No, since they're just IRC logs, they're often posted within minutes of the meeting ending, but the freedesktop.org wiki's were unwritable for a while due to spam overload and are still being repaired, so it couldn't happen right away for these.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wayland is under X.org Foundation umbrella.

            If Mir succeed there is nothing for X.org Foundation to do.. in their "core/traditional" field of interest (you know X.org itself..). And Canonical IS NOT verbal about how they will behave when/if Mir succeed to the point of Linux ecosystem choosing Mir over Wayland.

            Though X.org Foundation still is need for various other parts of Linux graphic stack.

            Wait and see. Is acceptable stance.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Wayland is under X.org Foundation umbrella.

              If Mir succeed there is nothing for X.org Foundation to do.. in their "core/traditional" field of interest (you know X.org itself..). And Canonical IS NOT verbal about how they will behave when/if Mir succeed to the point of Linux ecosystem choosing Mir over Wayland.

              Though X.org Foundation still is need for various other parts of Linux graphic stack.

              Wait and see. Is acceptable stance.
              I think wait and see which way the wind blows is more like it. Probably wise on their part, though. X.org is not Linux, but a diverse set of interests that happens to include Linux. Only Linux is the one threatened by Mir. There are certain community agreed upon things that make an operating system Linux, not just the kernel. Ubuntu is ditching one of those key components and still calling themselves Linux. They are damaging the Linux brand. It's like calling toilet paper klenex because some people use it to blow their noses and it's very similar. At least Google has the decency to not call Android a Linux distrobution.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                I think wait and see which way the wind blows is more like it. Probably wise on their part, though. X.org is not Linux, but a diverse set of interests that happens to include Linux. Only Linux is the one threatened by Mir. There are certain community agreed upon things that make an operating system Linux, not just the kernel. Ubuntu is ditching one of those key components and still calling themselves Linux. They are damaging the Linux brand. It's like calling toilet paper klenex because some people use it to blow their noses and it's very similar. At least Google has the decency to not call Android a Linux distrobution.
                Could you please cite this "community agreed upon" specification or standard that makes an operating system Linux?

                I thought Canonical got a lot of flak for not mentioning Linux (enough) in its marketing. Your observation seems to be contradicting.

                Also, could you please elaborate on how Ubuntu is damaging the "Linux brand?".
                Last edited by jayrulez; 03-18-2013, 06:42 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Intel's Eric Anholt wrote, "I don't imagine many people seeing mir as the next big thing."
                  That's obvious he'd write something like that as in the short term Mir means ARM embellishment.
                  Last edited by e8hffff; 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wayland is clearly lacking and their team should be taking a step back and thinking how can they improve their algorithms and routines to better suit supporting more scope as Mir plans.

                    If Wayland is to be taken seriously, at the time Mir's release, Wayland should be able to do what Mir does, faster, and more. That's competition and innovation. People want that, so lets get away from these Sacred Cows.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      Wayland is clearly lacking...
                      Really? Would you be kind enough to elaborate a bit more where exactly wayland is lacking?

                      You seem to know your stuff, you might want to get in contact with the wayland developers over at #wayland on freenode to work these issues out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Has Oracle indicated what they intend to do for Solaris going forward, now that X is kinda being retired and GNOME told them to pound sand?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                          Wayland is clearly lacking and their team should be taking a step back and thinking how can they improve their algorithms and routines to better suit supporting more scope as Mir plans.

                          If Wayland is to be taken seriously, at the time Mir's release, Wayland should be able to do what Mir does, faster, and more. That's competition and innovation. People want that, so lets get away from these Sacred Cows.
                          Get back to us when Mir is able to do a tenth of what Wayland can.

                          LOL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johnc View Post
                            Has Oracle indicated what they intend to do for Solaris going forward, now that X is kinda being retired and GNOME told them to pound sand?
                            the non-linux unixes are moribund anyway. it's funny but both Solaris's and bsd's use of gnome 2 is always on my mind. i piratebayed solaris 11 couple of days ago, it's definitively more reliable and sane than RHEL. and let's face the facts, even if the GUIs are rubbish on Unixes like Solaris, it really doesn't matter. They are exclusively used on servers with basically zero desktop marketshare.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                              I think wait and see which way the wind blows is more like it. Probably wise on their part, though. X.org is not Linux, but a diverse set of interests that happens to include Linux. Only Linux is the one threatened by Mir. There are certain community agreed upon things that make an operating system Linux, not just the kernel. Ubuntu is ditching one of those key components and still calling themselves Linux. They are damaging the Linux brand. It's like calling toilet paper klenex because some people use it to blow their noses and it's very similar. At least Google has the decency to not call Android a Linux distrobution.
                              If "certain community agreed upon things that make an operating system Linux",where is it? linux is a kernel and what you said are gnu linux distros(without so-called " agreed upon things"). Strictly speaking, android isn't a (gnu) linux distribution(without xorg which you named "certain community agreed upon things") in the first place,it is an open source mobile system based on linux(kernel) and nowadays is patching back its codes to main linux tree. As for mir, that's not damage but competition and innovation.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X