Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading The Linux Graphics Driver How-To Book

Phoronix: Reading The Linux Graphics Driver How-To Book

For those wondering about the outcome of the Linux graphics driver development book that was worked on back in September prior to XDC2012, the book continues to be worked on a bit for those interested in reading it...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxMDk

Now we need some way to use the drivers, kinda like how SVGAlib did (unless we're stuck with SDL).

Comment

Originally posted by STrRedWolf View Post
      Now we need some way to use the drivers, kinda like how SVGAlib did (unless we're stuck with SDL).
      You have plenty of graphics libraries implementing programming interfaces to use your graphics hardware. The main graphics API is called OpenGL and I'm sure it's available on your distro.

SDL is awesome!

Comment

PDF format or something more common would be appreciated

Comment

Disappointing, but understandable. They could simply have stated that there was not enough motivation to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            PDF format or something more common would be appreciated
            This is in LaTeX and therefore written in stone, while easily printed into pdf or many other formats without loss of formatting...

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
              This is in LaTeX and therefore written in stone, while easily printed into pdf or many other formats without loss of formatting...
              Yes i know and its a personal thing. I find genital warts more appealing than LaTeX.

Comment

Yes i know and its a personal thing. I find genital warts more appealing than LaTeX.
                Not sure how many books or maths assignments you wrote, but this is definitely the right way to go...

LaTeX-Lover <3

Comment

How appealing do you find looking at something like this?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    How appealing do you find looking at something like this?
                    It also automates management of citations, bibliographies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
                      Not sure how many books or maths assignments you wrote, but this is definitely the right way to go...

LaTeX-Lover <3

While i had to write quite a few math related stuff the cases where the open/libre office suite math editor was not enough was.... one as far as i can remember. LaTeX can die of aids as far as i am concerned.

LaTeX-Hater

its a personal thing.

Comment

While i had to write quite a few math related stuff the cases where the open/libre office suite math editor was not enough was.... one as far as i can remember. LaTeX can die of aids as far as i am concerned.

LaTeX-Hater

its a personal thing.

:P Never!!

Now write code listings in LO and then export them with simple "make", than compile them, run unit test, and report any problems with them. :P :P :P

Word PROCESSORS SUCK when you have LOTS of content and form is unimportant.

Or for that matter try to branch your work write additional chapter and then merge it with base that already changed :P :P :P

PS Can anyone give me quick how-to on how to submit patches?? (And WTH it is not on Github with its famous the Button "Request pull" ?)

Comment

LaTeX can die of aids as far as i am concerned.

LaTeX-Hater
                          What's your opinion on lyx? And why are we having this discussion in a thread about the linux graphics driver book?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                            What's your opinion on lyx? And why are we having this discussion in a thread about the linux graphics driver book?
                            I prefer WYSIWYM editors

p.s. Gummi does both...

Comment

Bad news, the pace is not very promising indeed.
                              But who wants to blame them. People usually don't love to write documentation.

IMHO this book is a very important project that may help attract new developers.

Comment

Working...
                              X