Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.14: In March With New Features

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.14: In March With New Features

Plans for the X.Org Server 1.14 release were laid this morning in Nürnberg, including a release date for this next feature release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE5MDE

Michael, why's it only 2min and 13seconds long? They talk about the release date, but thats it and we all know Keith wouldnt be like "Okay so we're release in 6 months. Good. Talk's over!" Where's the rest of it?

Comment

Wait, if Xinerama is going to be dropped, what is its replacement? A replacement that

- allows moving windows between screens powered by different gpus
      - provides 3d acceleration on all screens

I was not aware of one.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        Wait, if Xinerama is going to be dropped, what is its replacement? A replacement that

- allows moving windows between screens powered by different gpus
        - provides 3d acceleration on all screens

I was not aware of one.
        Thanks
        Answer: RandR
        Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xineram...re_of_XINERAMA

Presumably they are ripping out Xinerama so that everything Xinerama used to do can be taken over by a RandR update. RandR 1.6 maybe?

Comment

Aren't the provideroutputsources in the current master branches supposed to work like that already?

Comment

I would like to see after all this years, X render with vsync implemented, but I guess with the iminent death of X in favor of Wayland, that they wouldn't bother to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by narciso View Post
              the iminent death of X in favor of Wayland
              Nobody (not even the Wayland developers) are suggesting that X will die for a very long time.

Comment

So it looks like Fedora 19 and Ubuntu 13.04 will be the first major distros with a working, thought not default, Wayland desktop.
                Did anyone else read the bit about Packard's drafting of dri3 as saying they aren't intending to add new features? I don't know how extensible dri2 is so I don't know to what degree it can be changed will remaining backwards compatible.

Comment

XWayland

I hope XWayland gets merged.

Another cool thing would be to run Wayland and Xorg without root privileges by dropping privileges.

Comment

Working...
                  X