Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Independent X.Org Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: Hardware Independent X.Org Graphics Drivers

Aspirations towards hardware-independent accelerated X.Org graphics drivers were talked about at XDC2012...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4OTc

<sarcasm>Everyone loves a know it all </sarcasm>

I've worked with people like Ian Romanick before. All rapped up in there own little world were they *think* they know best and wont even listen to other peoples views. Ian could have at least put his rant in question form instead of just hijacking the presentation. A closed mind is a dying mind.

Comment

My appologies its that was Keith Packard not Ian.

Comment

as i see Lucas was making a point about offloading 2D stuff to the gpu

im by far no expert, but i have seen applications performing a lot worse when the console gets flooded

if that offloading he was talking about works on text too, isnt that a win for the application that need the cpu time ?

Comment

So you push the hw deps into a library and use that as the basis for a driver...

That's not a hw independent driver, that's middleware.

Comment

do the vesa drivers have KMS?

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
              So you push the hw deps into a library and use that as the basis for a driver...

That's not a hw independent driver, that's middleware.
              isn't that gallium then ?

Comment

Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                I've worked with people like Ian Romanick before. All rapped up in there own little world were they *think* they know best and wont even listen to other peoples views. Ian could have at least put his rant in question form instead of just hijacking the presentation. A closed mind is a dying mind.
                Maybe, but who is right?

Comment

Wayland

What happens to hardware-independent X.Org graphics drivers, X.org acceleration, the Xorg state tracker and the XA state tracker with Wayland?
                  When X.org runs on top of Wayland.

Comment

Is "offloading" of 2D graphics to GPU still really important, considering that everyone typically has from 2 to 8 CPU cores nowadays?

Comment

Working...
                    X