Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware Independent X.Org Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hardware Independent X.Org Graphics Drivers

    Phoronix: Hardware Independent X.Org Graphics Drivers

    Aspirations towards hardware-independent accelerated X.Org graphics drivers were talked about at XDC2012...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4OTc

  • #2
    <sarcasm>Everyone loves a know it all </sarcasm>

    I've worked with people like Ian Romanick before. All rapped up in there own little world were they *think* they know best and wont even listen to other peoples views. Ian could have at least put his rant in question form instead of just hijacking the presentation. A closed mind is a dying mind.

    Comment


    • #3
      My appologies its that was Keith Packard not Ian.

      Comment


      • #4
        as i see Lucas was making a point about offloading 2D stuff to the gpu

        im by far no expert, but i have seen applications performing a lot worse when the console gets flooded

        if that offloading he was talking about works on text too, isnt that a win for the application that need the cpu time ?

        Comment


        • #5
          So you push the hw deps into a library and use that as the basis for a driver...

          That's not a hw independent driver, that's middleware.

          Comment


          • #6
            do the vesa drivers have KMS?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
              So you push the hw deps into a library and use that as the basis for a driver...

              That's not a hw independent driver, that's middleware.
              isn't that gallium then ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                I've worked with people like Ian Romanick before. All rapped up in there own little world were they *think* they know best and wont even listen to other peoples views. Ian could have at least put his rant in question form instead of just hijacking the presentation. A closed mind is a dying mind.
                Maybe, but who is right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Wayland

                  What happens to hardware-independent X.Org graphics drivers, X.org acceleration, the Xorg state tracker and the XA state tracker with Wayland?
                  When X.org runs on top of Wayland.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is "offloading" of 2D graphics to GPU still really important, considering that everyone typically has from 2 to 8 CPU cores nowadays?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ssvb View Post
                      Is "offloading" of 2D graphics to GPU still really important, considering that everyone typically has from 2 to 8 CPU cores nowadays?
                      The big issue is avoiding copies between system and graphics memory. If you are accelerating 3D operations on the GPU and 2D operations on the CPU then you end up with a lot of back-and-forth traffic unless you can arrange for 2D and 3D operations to always touch different buffers. Accelerating 2D ops on the GPU may even be slower than doing it on the CPU but you still win because of the reduced copy traffic.

                      Scrolling also benefits a lot from GPU acceleration, of course.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X