Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Book On Linux Graphics Driver Development

Phoronix: A Book On Linux Graphics Driver Development

Next month in Nürnberg prior to the start of XDC2012, X.Org developers hope to get together and write a book about graphics driver development...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE2MzE

THIS.IS.AMAZING.

Really, it is.

It's all about lowering the threshold for new contributors.
    I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

A very good idea this is for Linux enthusiasts to understand the internals of Linux graphics drivers and how to develop new ones. I believe a book on general device driver development would also be a good idea too so that new developers can possibly write drivers for all kinds of devices starting from the device programming specs through debugging/testing using kernel tools to to the final finished driver.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
        A very good idea this is for Linux enthusiasts to understand the internals of Linux graphics drivers and how to develop new ones. I believe a book on general device driver development would also be a good idea too so that new developers can possibly write drivers for all kinds of devices starting from the device programming specs through debugging/testing using kernel tools to to the final finished driver.
        Maybe I got you wrong but there are quite a few books on general Linux device drivers.

"Linux Device Drivers 3rd Ed." (by Jonathan Corbet, Alessandro Rubini, and Greg Kroah-Hartman, 2005)
        is a very popular one and you can even get the ebook for free:

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

Comment

I've skimmed through the pdf yesterday. Interesting stuff even for non driver devs. Too bad the (for me) interesting bits like OpenGL/Mesa, Gallium3D are not there yet. Can't wait till it is finished.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            I've skimmed through the pdf yesterday. Interesting stuff even for non driver devs. Too bad the (for me) interesting bits like OpenGL/Mesa, Gallium3D are not there yet. Can't wait till it is finished.
            This. And I hope they can keep up the quality.
            IMHO it's _very_ well written.

Comment

AWESOME, a lot of programmers are interested in graphic drivers development (scratch your own itch? hell yeah !), but don't have a place with all the introductory information well explained and such.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                Maybe I got you wrong but there are quite a few books on general Linux device drivers.

"Linux Device Drivers 3rd Ed." (by Jonathan Corbet, Alessandro Rubini, and Greg Kroah-Hartman, 2005)
                is a very popular one and you can even get the ebook for free:

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/
                Nice ebook, despite being a bit old it still has a lot of useful info. Maybe a later version should cover KMS and updated kernel driver interface API's and such, including info for 3.0 kernel series
                Last edited by DeepDayze; 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Why should we wait?

Cant this book be pushed onto google docs, with right to edit for everyone? Or better yet, wiki books?

Comment

*Subscribing to the thread*

Comment

Working...
                    X